Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    +1
    So keep the stock waterbox you say.

Jefferson City MO (Ride at Lake of the Ozarks)
    +1
    Best of both worlds - the holeshot kit. Keeps box dry for fast takeoff without having to shove water out the exhaust first, and adds the water in box after you get going. Got it on mine and I know it works, good improvement on takeoff.

3. +1 by:

WFO

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RIVERA RACING View Post
    So keep the stock waterbox you say.
    im my opinion, yes... just add a freeflow if you want more sound

Quote Originally Posted by showmepro1200 View Post
    Best of both worlds - the holeshot kit. Keeps box dry for fast takeoff without having to shove water out the exhaust first, and adds the water in box after you get going. Got it on mine and I know it works, good improvement on takeoff.
    you mean jetworks mod?

Freeflow on a 1200 water box with the Jetworks mod is indeed the best of both worlds!

+1
    I like the Jetworks holeshot mod; however I too had the free flow and found it a bit loud for my liking and reverted back to the Yamaha silencer (kept Jetworks kit though for sure). It think its something some will love and others (like me) will find that drone at the 3000-3500 range too much.

+1
    Rich is right, the top end with the 800 waterbox will suffer a bit. however Many people run a 1200 waterbox, it holds less water than the 1300 and still have PLENTY of backpressure for the exhaust. the 1300 waterbox has this big square box mounted to it on the side where as the 1200 is same size lengths and width Minus the big square box. the best of BOTH worlds would prob be 1200 water box and jet works...

+1
    Thanks for the advise and suggestions..................

+1
    Rivera - if you should decide to play with the 1200 water box - I got one for sale. Also have a decent priced freeflow set up too, includes both ends' exhaust hose hookups (box and outlet)

+1
    ok showmepro1200....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    Thats a new one to me... never tried an 800 waterbox, but Im sure the OGs have at some point.

The biggest problem with changing the waterbox is back pressure. 2 strokes need back pressure for scavenging of exhaust gases. The more open or loud the exhaust, the less rpms you will make on top end. The more backpressure, the more rpms on top. Open exhausts will produce more bottom end and midrange punch, but suffer on top.

So why don't we try to do something with the jetworks kit, and get more and more water in the waterbox when picking up speed?
    Lets say 3 or 4 jetworks valves with increasing opening pressure, to add backpressure when going faster....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    Thats a new one to me... never tried an 800 waterbox, but Im sure the OGs have at some point.

The biggest problem with changing the waterbox is back pressure. 2 strokes need back pressure for scavenging of exhaust gases. The more open or loud the exhaust, the less rpms you will make on top end. The more backpressure, the more rpms on top. Open exhausts will produce more bottom end and midrange punch, but suffer on top.

So why don't we try to do something with the jetworks kit, and get more and more water in the waterbox when picking up speed?
    Lets say 3 or 4 jetworks valves with increasing opening pressure, to add backpressure when going faster....
    There is a point where too much water will kill rpms too. If you look at the very back of the stinger, there are 4 holes that spray water into the waterbox. I remember Fernando telling me that when he first invented the Jetworks mod, they tried to drill a 5th hole for water and rpms started to drop.

Also with too much backpressure, cylinder temps will start to rise. You can run a sound suppression and get max rpms with stock compression and timing, but if you start adding timing and compression, you run the risk of cylinder temps getting high enough to stick pistons. My ported 1300 would run like a son of a bitch with the sound suppression installed, I just couldnt keep the #3 piston together for very long. Yamaha knew what they were doing when they designed that pipe, thats why when the Jetworks mod came out, it made all them aftermarket single pipes obsolete

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information