Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: JB's New Ski

Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    Back at the Dock I noticed that my friends 300 Dip Stick had popped up and some oil spewed out into the Hull. I suggested that he "zip tie" that Dip Stick down.

Has anyone else had this happen? JB
    Had that happen on a car blowby past the rings from boost pressure.
    I dont think its a good idea to zip tie it as the carnk case pressure will just look for the next weakest point to blow out like a crank seal or rocker cover gasket.

+1
    should undertake some tests to confirm the cause of high crankcase pressure (before a complete engine strip down )

3. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by fcr100098 View Post
    That's usually a bad sign (excessive crankcase pressure). How are you holding up on these long rides at age 55 Mr. JB?
    I am doing great. 150 mile Ultra 310x ride 2mrrw. Than another 150 mile 310x ride on Monday. A 100 mile dual sport ride on the KTM in between.

The 310 makes me better than I really am . . . 310 is that good JB

Nicely done "Masta" At this rate you will have 400 hours in about five months!

Banned User
    +1
    JB - I'd like to hear your thoughts on the stock adjustable steering

Quote Originally Posted by fcr100098 View Post
    JB - I'd like to hear your thoughts on the stock adjustable steering
    I do like the stock handlebars. They look similar to the ones I had on the 260X, but ones on the 310 seem better. The set up on the 310 does not have the extra "play" in them that the 260 had.

I like to ride with them either in the "full up" position. Or one click down from the "full up" position if I am sitting. And that I am able to adjust them while underway is a big plus for me. From the looks of things, I am pretty sure i will be keeping the stock handlebar set up.

One more thing as long I am here. For some reason, I am able to sit down comfortably on the 310 in mild to semi mild chop. On the 260X the only time I really felt comfortable sitting down was in glass type waters. It could be that the material in the 310 seat is better than what I had on 260X? Or more likely it's because the 310 has such a forgiving / stable ride; which increases my confidence level at all speeds in all waters?

It's been a HUGE jump from the 260 to 310 for me . . . and a good jump at that JB

+1
    Well looks like my Plans just changed quite a bit for the 310X. I just learned that, upon closer inspection, when my Clutch failed on the FX SHO, it took the engine with it . . .

The plan was the FX SHO would handle all the long River / Lake rides this coming year and the 310X would handle all my ocean rides. Now, the 310 is going to have to handle both. I will be racking up hours like a Pinball Machine. There is no plan B. Onward! JB

JB,

When the SHO clutch went out, how exactly did it "take the motor out" as well? I know the pre 12' clutches could leave sheared teeth in the pan, requiring r&r. But am interested to learn how a 12'+ clutch failure can damage the motor..

Quote Originally Posted by WP3223 View Post
    Well looks like my Plans just changed quite a bit for the 310X. I just learned that, upon closer inspection, when my Clutch failed on the FX SHO, it took the engine with it . . .

The plan was the FX SHO would handle all the long River / Lake rides this coming year and the 310X would handle all my ocean rides. Now, the 310 is going to have to handle both. I will be racking up hours like a Pinball Machine. There is no plan B. Onward! JB

JB,

When the SHO clutch went out, how exactly did it "take the motor out" as well? I know the pre 12' clutches could leave sheared teeth in the pan, requiring r&r. But am interested to learn how a 12'+ clutch failure can damage the motor..
    When my Dealer went to take out the old Clutch and install the new one, they noticed some pieces of the old Clutch were "missing". And as gravity will do, those missing pieces were pulled down into the engine. There were no sheared teeth; all "clutch pieces". I do not have that Ski back yet, hence, I do not know the the exact specifics of the damage done.

I will be getting the later model Clutch, which I understand is the same Clutch as the 2014 models. So from that standpoint I should be in better shape than I was to begin with. I hope to have that Ski back soon.

To be 100% honest, I will have to take a hard look at this Ski when I get it back. What I am learning is the 310 has a much Broader range of capabilities than I thought it would. JB

Banned User
    +1
    To be 100% honest, I will have to take a hard look at this Ski when I get it back. JB
    From a dusty back corner of the garage....

+1
    JB

Once you have your new 14' cluch up & running - I would recommend installing a BOV to possibly help out with future clutch longevity. If you were going to keep running the ski offshore, I would even think about having the dealer install a Riva dampener gear, while the SC is still apart. Hopefully the oil pump screen prevented any serious damage.

Thanks for your reply & keep enjoying both of your skis..

+1
    Funny how you keep saying this jb meaning the ski is broadening your eyes to an allrounder. Something many of us have said of the 300 from the onset but as usual peeps fail to believe. Maybe now you might go back to many posts you have expertly written as a non owner and eat humble pie glad you LOVE the 310 an obvious finer extension of little improvements over the 300

Quote Originally Posted by WP3223 View Post

JB,

When my Dealer went to take out the old Clutch and install the new one, they noticed some pieces of the old Clutch were "missing". And as gravity will do, those missing pieces were pulled down into the engine. There were no sheared teeth; all "clutch pieces". I do not have that Ski back yet, hence, I do not know the the exact specifics of the damage done.

I will be getting the later model Clutch, which I understand is the same Clutch as the 2014 models. So from that standpoint I should be in better shape than I was to begin with. I hope to have that Ski back soon.

To be 100% honest, I will have to take a hard look at this Ski when I get it back. What I am learning is the 310 has a much Broader range of capabilities than I thought it would. JB
    Last edited by nicjak; 12-30-2013 at 11:29 PM.

Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread Information