Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    This is interesting, adjustable regulator to 14 volts, regardless of input....

http://www.batteryspace.com/dc-dcreg...14v05amax.aspx

Any idea of the amp draw from the CDI box on domestics? Is it possible that this can be used inline to maintain voltage above 10.6v to the CDI, even when cranking volts drop below....?? Curious.....
    2.6V to 14V output voltage range
    2.6V to 14V input voltage range
    0.5A max input or output current at < 10V
    Max 250ma output at 14 volts when supply is 9 volts.

Max input of 14 volts would be an issue since the charging system voltage can get near 15 volts.

I do not know how much current the domestic CDI actually draws but I am guessing it needs more than 3 watts

Not hard to check. Just hook up an ammeter inline with the CDI Red/Purple wire and start the engine. I would expect maximum CDI current demand to occur at peak engine RPM (just below redline, not on the limiter).
    Can someone with a carb domestic do this amp measurement?

That tiny voltage converter/regulator module would be one way to generate a stable 14 volt feed for calibrating the MFD voltage meter. $30 each.

Right now this seems to be the least expensive 14 volt regulated voltage source I can find that would also be generally available to others. Other than cutting off the factory connector, it seems to fit the bill. Advantages include being able to use it to calibrate MFD while either in the watercraft or on the workbench.
    Last edited by K447; 11-04-2013 at 11:28 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Drkvampire2001 View Post
    I did try the Hour reset procedure you described above on my 99 SLX, to no avail it would not enter calibration mode, could even get calibration mode normally.

not sure the part number on that MFD, but SET and MODE both work. I will try on a few other MFDs I have
    It is critical that the buttons be held down firmly and with no wiggling or bouncing during these sequences.

The MFD must also be awake, of course. It is unclear (to me) whether it matters which display mode is visible (RPM, Volt, Dist, Hour) when you begin the sequence (holding down both buttons).

Quote Originally Posted by k447 (first post)
    ... I have since successfully reset the Engine Hour counter and calibrated the voltage display on the following MFD part numbers;
    3280147 (Round MFD)
    So far, so good here.

I have a couple more here to try. Need to open them up and correct the faded digits first...

Since the round MFD responded to calibration just the same as the oval, methinks this may be a fairly universal capability for these MFD.

+1
    I did try the Hour reset procedure you described above on my 1999 SLX, to no avail it would not enter calibration mode, could even get calibration mode normally. not sure the part number on that MFD, but SET and MODE both work. I will try on a few other MFDs I have
    That would be a 'Fast Trim' MFD just like the Pro models use, correct?

And it is a 12-pin MFD, correct?

Perhaps those MFD work differently. I do not have any 12-pin or Fast Trim MFD on hand here to mess with. Anybody want to send me one to mess around with?

Free faded digits repair if it needs it.
    Last edited by K447; 11-11-2013 at 01:21 AM.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I did try the Hour reset procedure you described above on my 1999 SLX, to no avail it would not enter calibration mode, could even get calibration mode normally. not sure the part number on that MFD, but SET and MODE both work. I will try on a few other MFDs I have

Perhaps those MFD work differently. I do not have any 12-pin or Fast Trim MFD on hand here to mess with. Anybody want to send me one to mess around with?

I have a fast trim 3280264 I will try the hours reset on.
    Last edited by K447; 03-29-2018 at 05:45 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post

I have a fast trim 3280264 I will try the hours reset on.
    What happened with this?

+1
    Never had the time to mess with it.

Did you figure out anything with the MSX displays?
    Bring the 12-pin display(s) to the gathering, even if that watercraft does not come along.

No new info on the MSX displays. I have not tried anything new with them recently. I suspect the NGI display was developed by a different group and they were unaware of, or did not care about, the 'hidden' features of the previous display types.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    I only have the 8 pin 3280264 which should work like the other 8 pin MFDs you have tested. Dave has a 12 pin in one of his skis.

+1
    Never had the time to mess with it.

Did you figure out anything with the MSX displays?
    Bring the 12-pin display(s) to the gathering, even if that watercraft does not come along.

No new info on the MSX displays. I have not tried anything new with them recently. I suspect the NGI display was developed by a different group and they were unaware of, or did not care about, the 'hidden' features of the previous display types.
    I have a 99 SLX that has the 12 pin, it will be at the gathering, in a ski, no issues removing it to do some testing though.

+1
    Not so much a 12-pin question, more about whether the fast trim version(s) respond to the reset methods in the same manner as the regular trim speed MFD.

I did not check, but I think all the 12-pin MFD were fast trim versions. Is this correct?
    I only have the 8 pin 3280264 which should work like the other 8 pin MFDs you have tested. Dave has a 12 pin in one of his skis.
    Bring the 12-pin display(s) to the gathering, even if that watercraft does not come along...
    I have a 99 SLX that has the 12 pin, it will be at the gathering, in a ski, no issues removing it to do some testing though.
    Last edited by K447; 03-29-2018 at 05:44 PM.

+1
    Not so much a 12-pin question, more about whether the fast trim version(s) respond to the reset methods in the same manner as the regular trim speed MFD.

I did not check, but I think all the 12-pin MFD were fast trim versions. Is this correct?
    Bring the 12-pin display(s) to the gathering, even if that watercraft does not come along...
    I have a 1999 SLX that has the 12 pin, it will be at the gathering, in a ski, no issues removing it to do some testing though.
    I am not positive if all 12 pin version are fast trim, but my 1999 SLX has fast trim. I have both the 12 pin and 8 pin, both with fast trim.
    Last edited by K447; 03-29-2018 at 05:41 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information