Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    +1
    Ok, let's do it this Saturday! Who's in? Don't be a weenie!

SATURDAY
    TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS POSSIBLE. NORTHEAST WINDS
    25 TO 35 KNOTS. WAVES 4 TO 5 FEET.

+1
    I was thinking of our Biloxi ride this AM; coastal LA is predicting a 3 - 5 foot surge in the next couple of days. If we hadn't made that right last weekend, likely we would not have been this year at all. Glad we all made the trip.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Donkey View Post
    Thanks. Good call on the over the glasses type. I found these Smiths on Amazon with good reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Optics-G...th+otg+goggles
    That's the ones we got. In addition to bug protection, I found them really good in the rough when you can hit a swell and get completely drenched. Had to remember the hard way about "stop breathing" instead of "take a breath!"

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 83Gator View Post
    I was thinking of our Biloxi ride this AM; coastal LA is predicting a 3 - 5 foot surge in the next couple of days. If we hadn't made that right last weekend, likely we would not have been this year at all. Glad we all made the trip.
    Indeed...but unfortunately I went from being content with putting up the skis for the winter to looking at new places to ride.

For 2014: Bay St. Louis area, the Barrier Islands-this thread (assuming no smooth warm day comes up this year), the rides east and west of Panama City, Mississippi River (Vicksburg to Natchez or Baton Rouge), some Florida rides around Orlando/Tampa.

And at some point we all need to convoy down to south Florida...San Marco, the Keyes, maybe even a trek over to Bimini.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivingZiggy View Post
    I'll have you people know that I have the Billy Goggles, too! I put them on over my sun glasses and they work well. And if I don't feel like having the sun blocked, I just wear them without the glasses.

Of course I would prefer to wear just the glasses. But at speed the wind makes its way around the lenses and makes me cry. We got some SeaSpecs but they were actually pressing against our eyes/eye lashes without even getting out there on the water.

So the OTG (Over The Glasses) goggles are the way to go for some of us.
    Real men don't need goggles !!!

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 83Gator View Post
    I checked your link above, read the details - they are discontinued by the manufacturer. Not that is a bad thing, but prob. why they are so cheap.

This is what I bought,from REI, but shown on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Monashee...TG+Ski+Goggles

Again, right at $50., but I did notice my OTG's are "air flow" in design. I think this has to do w/preventing fogging. Not that the cheap brands don't fog... But having gogs not fog is a big thing.

No opinion either way - $16. is cheap, but if they fog a lot, you won't use them...
    They're not discontinued. Might have sent you to the old models. Just look for the O-Frame; those are designed to wear with glasses. I love the dark lenses+polarized sunglasses, really cuts down on the glare and fatigue, as it gets so bright here. Riding South, early in the morning, is painful without both.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rooster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivingZiggy View Post
    I'll have you people know that I have the Billy Goggles, too! I put them on over my sun glasses and they work well. And if I don't feel like having the sun blocked, I just wear them without the glasses.

Of course I would prefer to wear just the glasses. But at speed the wind makes its way around the lenses and makes me cry. We got some SeaSpecs but they were actually pressing against our eyes/eye lashes without even getting out there on the water.

So the OTG (Over The Glasses) goggles are the way to go for some of us.
    Real men don't need goggles !!!
    Well, this unreal man was stabbed in the eye as a kid, had it come out the socket, had to put it back in, was told vision was permanently gone (Dr. was wrong on that count.)... And when PWCing I took a bug to the eye several years ago - I instantly became a Gog Fan. I humbly admit I'm no real man. LOL

+1
    Wow, what the devil happened?

+1
    Which one is it? It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye OR it's not fun and games until someone loses an eye...

Remember the old bicycle safety flags? The kind that had a fiberglass pole w/a little orange flag on top... As kids, we would take the pole and rub one end on concrete until you had a near "needle" point on it - viola - a spear! One of my friends made an errant throw and I took the spear to the head via my right eye.

Holding the spear straight out, parallel w/the ground, another friend pulled it out, my eye came out the socket w/it, but off the spear at the same time. I pushed it back in, walked home, met my mother at the door who immediately fainted.

In the hospital in half an hour very "minor" sewing was done, then covered, and was told I would never see out of my right eye again. With an eye-patch, I looked like a pirate all summer. Within 30 days, I would have senses of light and dark... then it kept improving. At the same time, I began having some double vision out of my left eye (eye strain). Within another 30 days I could see great out of both eyes and was 20/20 in a few more months. That was the summer of '75; I was 10 at the time.

So, who's next w/a war story?

+1
    I'm guessing stern rules were put in effect about sharpening and throwing "spears". So it pierced your eyeball like a shishkabob? You are very lucky that it turned out like it did.

I've got nothing that good...all I've got is a tree limb falling out of a tree while playing Tarzan on a vine. Lot's of kids standing under the tree and I was lucky enough to have it stab me in the arm. Got to have a doctor dig pieces of bark out of my arm.

Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information