Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Resident Coffee Addict Oshawapilot's Avatar
    +1
    I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd chime in with my experience regarding the fire extinguisher. We ride on small lakes all over Ontario and as most of us know, PWC's are bullseyes for the police. Despite the fact that neither me nor my wife drive like idiots, we have had more than our share of inspections on the water. On at least three occasions I have been asked to show my fire extinguisher which I do not carry on either machine, and on all occasions I said to the officers "We always wear our life jackets therefore we are exempt as per the requirements". Both times the issue ended there - the marine units do seem to be well enough aware of the exemption that it's indeed not an issue.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Oshawapilot View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd chime in with my experience regarding the fire extinguisher. We ride on small lakes all over Ontario and as most of us know, PWC's are bullseyes for the police. Despite the fact that neither me nor my wife drive like idiots, we have had more than our share of inspections on the water.

On at least three occasions I have been asked to show my fire extinguisher which I do not carry on either machine, and on all occasions I said to the officers "We always wear our life jackets therefore we are exempt as per the requirements". Both times the issue ended there - the marine units do seem to be well enough aware of the exemption that it's indeed not an issue.
    Old information is still useful if it is relevant!

Do you carry magnetic compasses?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Do you carry magnetic compasses?
    No, although we never travel far enough away from any navigation aids/landmarks where it as well would become mandatory.

I do carry my iPhone at all times when we ride, in a waterproof case. Arguably it on it's own it can fulfil the requirement of both a flashlight (the LED is piercing and the flashlight app I use also has a flashing "emergency" mode), and it also has a magnetic compass. Although I carry a separate flashlight, if it ever failed to work or got lost (I keep it on the front hatch of my ski and that hatch is NOTORIOUS for popping open when I wave jump) I could still pass muster by just showing my iPhone.

+1
    Canada has different rules for boats and PWC. If you ride PWC, you can choose be covered under the boat rules, where you need (ancher, bailor, life vest etc.) if you have all the required boat item, you do not need to wear a PWC vest, although you do need to have it on board.

The PWC rules require less equipment, but wearing the vest is mandatory

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestram View Post
    Canada has different rules for boats and PWC.

If you ride PWC, you can choose be covered under the boat rules, where you need (anchor, bailer, life vest etc.) if you have all the required boat items, you do not need to wear a PWC vest, although you do need to have it on board.

The PWC rules require less equipment, but wearing the vest is mandatory
    Does your understanding align with this post?

+1
    Best check your facts, or if something has changed, post up details of your claims.

The rules are the same last I checked, except for the exemptions based on vessel size, and if you are always wearing your lifejackets while underway or not.
    Last edited by K447; 04-19-2014 at 06:43 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Oshawapilot View Post
    Best check your facts, or if something has changed, post up details of your claims.

The rules are the same last I checked, except for the exemptions based on vessel size, and if you are always wearing your lifejackets while underway or not.
    Right Here: (lifejacket or PWF not required to wear if you have Manual bailer, Paddle, and Fire extinguisher)

Personal Watercraft (PWC)
    Equipment listed in 3, 4, 5 and 11 is not required if everyone on board is wearing a lifejacket or PFD.
    Lifejacket or PFD must be inherently buoyant
    1. One (1) lifejacket or PFD for each person on board

2. One (1) buoyant heaving line at least 15 m (49’3”) long

3. *One (1) reboarding device
    4. One (1) manual propelling device

OR

One (1) anchor and at least 15 m (49’3”) of cable, rope or chain in any combination
    5. One (1) bailer or manual bilge pump
    6. One (1) watertight flashlight
    OR
    Three (3) flares of Type A, B or C
    7. One (1) sound-signalling device or appliance
    8. **Navigation lights
    9. ***One (1) magnetic compass
    10. One (1) radar reflector (See Note 3)
    11. One (1) 5BC fire extinguisher

+1
    Ok, fair enough, I knew about those bit just considered them "exemptions" to the regular rules, not necessarily a different set of rules entirely.

+1
    Watercraft have their own rules, but you can choose to follow the "boat" rules and in that case if you have the right equipment with you, you do not need to wear a lifejacket od PFD.

Just snoozin' on the couch M447's Avatar
    +1
    Watercraft have their own rules, but you can choose to follow the "boat" rules and in that case if you have the right equipment with you, you do not need to wear a lifejacket od PFD.
    This subject has already been beaten to death here on the forum.

These regulations are made by bored people sitting in cubicles playing wastebasket basketball all day, have never been near a body of water or seen a PWC in real life.

The long and short of it is, if you're not wearing a PFD on your PWC, you're in the running for a Darwin Award.

11. +1 by:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information