Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

+1
    I was actually thinking of removing the epoxy and disassembling it, then reassembling it with something like https://www.permatex.com/products/sp...nk-repair-kit/

I wasn't sure if anyone else had this problem. I imagine that since these things are epoxied together, that the epoxy is going to get brittle with old age no matter what. I appreciate the offer, I have a parts ski with like 5 hours on it that has one of these filters, but my thoughts were that if it's more than 20 years old too, the epoxy is probably not going to hold up well. Specially considering how awful fuel has become since then. I'll post whatever I happen to do with it later. I managed to get most of the slag epoxy out of the bottom, but it's still flaking around the edges. At the very least I wanted to let people know that this can happen and hopefully they can do some preventative maintenance .

+1
    I found the stainless steel screen used on the fuel water separator filter is a 25 micron stainless steel screen. You can buy a sheet of it for $5 on ebay that will let you make a ton of filters. JB Weld epoxy claims to hold up well in fuel.

You can probably use 50 micron stainless steel screen too. Pretty self explanatory fix if your epoxy in your filter has failed

1. Tap the top and bottom of the filter off with a screwdriver and hammer. If you are careful you might not rip the filter, but you probably will since there's going to be a ton of dried, useless epoxy stuck in the filter

2. Cut the filter to the same size as the original

3. Epoxy it back together. You'll have to do the top and bottom, as well as epoxy the filter to be a cylinder since all you're getting is a sheet. Just replicate what's there, basically.

Just make sure there's no stray stainless steel pieces on the edges that will be sucked up into the engine.

I couldn't find a new part for this, it seems pretty obscure. I managed to find an old one in my parts that was like new, but if you ever need a new one because your epoxy went bad, there's a hole, etc, it's quite easy and cheap to make your own.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information