Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    +1
    Thanks for the update, Dave. I've got nothing for now. Too cold !!! I can see your son is going to get the bug real soon.

Not to beat a dead horse on the ribbon delete but what is a Riva pod filter. Just had the ribbon delete done and I understood from Riva that there is no air filter yet that would replace the ribbons initial safety purpose if motor backfires? My ski is a 12 fx ho.
    Last edited by ldippi; 04-08-2014 at 05:11 PM.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ldippi View Post
    Not to beat a dead horse on the ribbon delete but what is a Riva pod filter. Just had the ribbon delete done and I understood from Riva that there is no air filter yet that would replace the ribbons initial safety purpose if motor backfires? My ski is a 12 fx ho.
    Not sure if it was a Riva or an R and D but have seen the exact same pod filters at the performance car parts place for half the dollars.
    These are not a replacement for the removal of the ribbon at all, but rather a free flow air filter to replace the restricted air box. I was told the ribbon is installed for US regulation (for backfires etc) so is fitted by Yamaha to meet the regulations. My dealer said that was the best upgrade to do and I had it doen by them at my 10 hrs service - have 130 hrs now and no probs at all. Just about everyone removes them here in Austrailia on the N/A and Supercharged Ski.
    My dealer is the biggest here in Sydney Aust and sponsors the big Ski racers and has riders in the races as well so when the head mechanic recommended it, I asked has he done it to his ski and he said it was the first thing he did - So it was my first upgrade as well.
    Give the Ski a bit more of a thoaty sound and it improve the mid range response so this makes the ski a bit quicker to get going, not much on top speed as your going to be close to the limiter anyway unless you have the ECU flashed to allow you to run higher RPM's.
    Never had a backfire or a missed engine beat of anykind, but as all ski owners they should ensure that the Ski is washed down well and make sure there is no fuel leaks of any kind. I am even really careful carrying extra fuel on board as I have seen others who have spilt fuel in the front of the ski and it goes everywhere and can be really dangerous.

Regards

Dave
    FX HO 2012

+1
    This last weekend at lake Allatonna.

Speed @ RPM: 63.1 @ 7600 - 7700 Year/Model: 2012 FX HO
    Name/Weight: Jt / 215
    Air Temp:65
    Altitude: 843
    Fuel Level: 1/2 tank
    mods: stock

+1
    Speed @ RPM: 62.6mph GPS @ ~7600
    Year/Model: 2010 / FX HO
    Name/Weight: Barry / 245lbs.
    Air Temp: ~83F
    Altitude: sea-level
    Condition: slight chop
    Fuel Level: Full
    Trim: Neutral
    Mods: none
    Last edited by blong123; 09-06-2014 at 09:35 AM.

6. +1 by:

+1
    Just picked up a 2009 FXHO, totally stock.

Which Solas prop is best? Solas site shows YS-DF-14/21 and YS-CD-13/22 for all of the 1.8L models.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy_steven View Post
    Just picked up a 2009 FXHO, totally stock.

Which Solas prop is best? Solas site shows YS-DF-14/21 and YS-CD-13/22 for all of the 1.8L models.

Hi

My dealer who racers yamaha ski says the std props are not too bad and not much to be gained unless you are modifing other things. If i were you I would get the ECU flashed and then have the prop (or another) re-pitched to get to the new rev RPM limit. Of course the best bang for your buck is the ribbon removal which give you more mid range response.
    The mods you decide on depends on whether your after top speed or acceleration and the conditions you are riding in. ie if choppy water then you will want to replace the grate to keep her hooked up.

Sorry, that i can't offer more on the prop suggestions but maybe someone else can add there comments.

First day of spring here yesterday and I got out on the water on Sunday for the first time in months, temps were around 70F.

Regards

Dave
    FX HO
    Syd Australia

+1
    Thanks for the input. At this point, I'm not looking to do anything more than replace the prop. This one looks dinged up and there's some vibration when riding. I decided to go for the Solas Dynafly, since I found a decent deal and I'm happy with the Dynafly on my 04 FXHO.

I'll look into other mods during the off season.

Unfortunately, coming to the end of summer here. I got out today... almost 90F.

I picked up a 2011 FX SHO last week with no mods at all and 55 hours on the clock. We ran the FX HO and SHO side by side in a comparison with a few other ski including 2 x 2013 300x ski's.
    Remember my FX HO just has the ribbon removed and a pod filter install instead of the std air box, here are the results after a tank of fuel on the SHO.

Hole shot - The SHO was slightly quicker out of the blocks by about 15 yards after the first 100 yards down the river so a win but not by a lot. The SHO had a little bit of cavitation at take off, the HO does not.
    Top speed - The SHO was slightly faster but only about 0.5 mph, it just crawled away from the HO. If my mate went superman and I stayed upright then we were about the same.
    Handling between the 2011 SHO and the 2012 HO - The way I described it was the SHO felt a little looser on the water, my mate said it was easier to turn in and carve up the river. We both agreed the 2012 was more stable then the 2011 but probably at the expense of handling. Not much difference in the hulls but I did notice the sponsoons are different between the two models.
    Fuel economy - At the end of the day the SHO was on the buzzer for most of the trip home (30 mins atleast) and the HO did not sounds the buzzer till we got back to the ramp. At a guess till I fuel both up I expect the SHO consumed 10 to 15 Litres (3 or 4 gallons) more, due to the low fuel on the way back I was taking it very steady as I had no extra fuel.
    The two 300x were very different in there performance, one only had about 6 hours on the clock and fast both faster out of the blocks and way faster tops speed. The other 300x had about 50 hard hours on it and and may need a new prop and wear ring (we asked the owner at lunch what was wrong with his ski) as his top speed was right between the HO and the SHO. He said he had suck up sound sand\gravel at another recent ride so will look to replace the prop. He also said he was hitting the limiter whcih he will have removed as well, so I guess its stock like the new 300x.
    The HO was a real eye opener for all of us as we the difference between the two 300x ski's. I think the HO is hard to go past for a reliable cruising ski with its range and still strong performance. Going to compare them again in another week as its fun to ride side by side.

Regards

Dave
    Syd Aust

+1
    Hi jTs,
    Im from Buford and i was thinking about going to Allatona this summer...quick question...is there Restaurants/bars on the lake accessible by jet ski? Just curious because in Lake Lanier we have about 5 o 6 bars and restaurants that you can go in Jet Ski..

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information