Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    OK, after 2 weeks waiting on a new prop and wear ring I am back on the water. My dealer has always sung the praise on the Yamaha props and he races his Ski here in my city so I recon he knows more than I do so just had him fit the OEM prop and wear ring. I knew my old prop had a few dings on it but did not realize it would have been much of a problem, but what a difference it made. The Ski was just so responsive that you really have to hang on, it was just like getting on a ski the first time. I saw speeds on the speedo (71mph with 2 persons)that I have not seen since it was about 10hrs old.
    By the time I got the GPS out at our first stop down the river (35miles) I had missed the best of the conditions but I was still keen to see what the ski could do up the river and into the wind. Was still a full 3 mph improvement over a couple of weeks ago in less than ideal conditions.

Speed @ RPM: 64.0mph GPS (71 mph speedo) @ approx 7750 rpm (on the limiter)
    Year/Model: 2012 FX HO
    Name/Weight: Dave 92kgs and Kath 75kgs- for a total of 167kgs (368lbs)
    Air Temp: 23C (73f)
    Altitude: Sea Level on salty\fresh water tidal river.
    Fuel Level: 1/2 tank
    Mods: Ribbon Delete, Riva pod filter and R and D crankcase filter\bypass, new OEM prop and wear ring fitted.
    Hours: 97hrs on the clock
    Where: Upper Hawkesbury river NSW Australia
    When: Today Sat 10th Oct.
    Conditions: UP river into moderate wind with a light wind chop, water fresher than further down the river on last run.
    Trim: Neutral

On these numbers I am expecting to see 67mph or better with just one of board in good conditions, bring on summer!!!

Dave
    Black FX HO 2012

+1
    Way to go Dave. That's impressive, especially w/ two people. My speedo reads 72 when I'm @ 64 and 73 when I can hit 65. Have you done anything on the exhaust side, such as the Tommy Jordan mod? It's rare when I can duplicate the 65 mph run. Usually stuck somewhere in the 64 + range. Good luck chasing 67 mph !!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Rooster View Post
    Way to go Dave. That's impressive, especially w/ two people. My speedo reads 72 when I'm @ 64 and 73 when I can hit 65. Have you done anything on the exhaust side, such as the Tommy Jordan mod? It's rare when I can duplicate the 65 mph run. Usually stuck somewhere in the 64 + range. Good luck chasing 67 mph !!!

Rooster

Thanks for all the bumps you have made to the thread, it keeps it high up on the list.
    Done nothing to the exhuast at all, I keep hearing that it make no performance improvements unless running a Super charger with mods and don't want the drone I hear about also.
    I was running some Caltex 98 yesterday which is about the best fuel we can get here in Aus and the ski had just had new plugs and an oil change at the 100 hr service. One of the other guys thought my ski had a different pitch to the sound but I could not tell riding it. Certainly very responsive and no more cavitation so pretty happy. Won't be back on the water for a couple of weeks, but in ideal conditions and a light rider I think we could see 67mph without too much problem. My son is just 50kgs and loves going fast so might have to get him on the job to achieve it.
    Would love to get the ECU flashed but $$$ are a bit short at the moment.

Rgs

Dave
    Black FX HO 2012

4. +1 by:

Got out on the water on Saturday afternoon with 2 friends but the GPS battery was about dead so only had it on for 5 mins at most. Only got a top speed of 63mph on the GPS but did not get a nice long run at it, there were a bunch of water skiers in the river so had to back it off.
    We did however ride for 20 miles down the river and the ski is definately quicker now. My mate on his 2012 VRX (1800) used to just ride away from me, but not anymore - if I go superman style then we are dead even and he just creeps away if I sit up in the wind. The other rider was a 2013 FXSHO and had a passenger, again there was nothing in it. We had a race down the river for as far as the eye could see (that was clear of skiers) and I finished 10 yards behind both of them - the VXR and SHO were neck and neck all afternoon.
    I did see a newest high speed on the speedo or 76mph so this is up from my previous best of 72 - just need a nice long run for the GPS to accurately get a top speed. Little blasts for 400 yards does not cut it.

Weather permitting I will be back out on the water next Sunday and will post if we get anything better than 64 mph on the GPS.

Regards

Dave
    Black FX HO 2012

6. +1 by:

New top speed today.

Speed @ RPM: 65.0mph GPS (73mph speedo) @ approx 7550 rpm
    Year/Model: 2012 FX HO
    Name/Weight: Dave 92kgs and Mark 75kgs- for a total of 167kgs (368lbs)
    Air Temp: 24C (75f) Approx
    Altitude: Sea Level on salt water tidal river.
    Fuel Level: 1/2 tank
    Mods: Ribbon Delete, Riva pod filter and R and D crankcase filter\bypass
    Hours: 100.7hrs on the clock
    Where: Hawkesbury river NSW Australia - near Mooney Mooney bridge.
    When: Today Sat 27nd Oct.

Mark was driving and I was on the back, we swapped over but could not better the speed even with his weight right over the rear deck just hanging onto the back on the seat. Trim was set to +1 down (nose up) and would like to try so other settings. We went up the Mooney Mooney creek to find some smooth water and to get out of the wind. That dam fast up a creek!

Regards

Dave

+1
    Who needs a supercharger !!!

Thansk Rooster.

I certainly don't need a Super Charger. We started the morning with a social ride day put on by the Dealer where I got the Ski, most of the Ski were Super charged and more than half were the FZR\FRS series - We had not troble keeping up. They had a pro photographer along with us so wanted to get some shots with the water flying in some turns so they setup 4 bouys in the water and asked us to do figure 8's thru them a couple of times. I have never rounded a bouy in my life, but was about the third person to give it a try and I just pegged it a WOT and hung on like nothing else - I got thru them pretty well, but nearly went over the top of one, but you could call it "clipping the gate" if your a snow skier! My mate had a go on my ski and ripped it up in the turns as well and so I had a good camparison of how my ski got thru the bouys. Well all 40 people had a go and only about 3 people fell off, two of these had passengers which would have made it even harder for them. The owner who races Ski's and his staff were last 2 go, we all thought here we they are going to show us how its done - Well you would not have picked the racer from the amatures and a was really surprised how well everyone did.
    A few highly modified Ski's made alot of noise and were bouncing off the limiter in the turns but going nowhere so I guess they were just sitting there cavitating.
    They were going to arrange some drag racing but the windy conditions with the large chop put the end to that, but I was really looking forward to it.

Can not wait to see the photo's!

Dave

2009 1800 FXHO mod questions....

Ride plate - Plates appear to be advertised for SHO's, do they fit the HO's? gains? R&D or Riva, which is best?

Intake grate - Same as above?

My own findings on my Ultra (now sold) was stock grate and R&D plate was best set up for top speed. The toploader would scrub about 1mph off topend.

+1
    Not sure "Mat". Maybe try contacting "Jim" on the forum & see what one of his modified plates can do for you. Was curious about this myself. Good luck !!!

Found a problem with my GPS, I found my GPS has a accuracy setting and by default its accuracy was set to 200m (about 220 yards) which is not real good. So I changed the min accuracy to the lowest level of just 10metres and the results has been all my speeds have been down by 2mph so had nothing good to post till now.
    Yesterday I took my 13yo son out for a 60 mile ride and on the way back the conditions were still excellent for a high speed run with no wind or chop. I took the towels, drinks and anchor out of the fron of the Ski and sent my young guy out to do his best. He's only 46Kgs so I knew he would be the best chance of anyone to get the best speeds. He saw 76mph on the speedo and 65mph on the GPS! We were on fumes by the time we got back to the ramp so I recond the speed run was done on only 5 or 6 litres (1.2 gallons) in the tank.

I wonder how many other GPS units are set to a pretty average accuracy by default? I was using my Samsung Galaxy S3 and it had 18 satelites to sync with so think these speeds are accurate now as I have been able too stay along side a friends VRX and FX SHO if I move my weight back a bit and have the trim down +1 (nose up)

I am not going to get any better speed out of my craft unless I spend some money so over to you guys to push the limits.

Dave
    Black FX HO 2012

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information