Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    WOAH! Wakesurfing is illegal in your state? That's gay.
    (12) Operate a motorboat propelled by an outboard motor, inboard/outboard motor or water jet while a person is wake surfing in or on the wake of the motorboat.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by suke View Post
    WOAH! Wakesurfing is illegal in your state? That's gay.
    (12) Operate a motorboat propelled by an outboard motor, inboard/outboard motor or water jet while a person is wake surfing in or on the wake of the motorboat.
    I wish it was on our lake. We have so many boats around here with the ballast systems and they ruin the lake for everyone else who is trying to enjoy it.

3. +1 by:

Wake surfing is legal on an inboard boat. Just not an I/O or outboard.

I know everyone is saying that it's dangerous and I understand that. I've been around these things for a while, as well as other motor sports. I just wanted to know if technically it was illegal to do. After reading the code I found it does not show clear wording on if it is legal or not. I know the harm it can cause. It may not have been the safest thing to do, but I was also very careful when I attempted it. I'm not some other dumb kid that is messing around on something that he has no idea what harm can be done with a mistake. I appreciate the answers that everyone is giving me though.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by branden246 View Post
    I was out on the lake yesterday and my 2 friends came out with me. I saw on YouTube people doing wheelies with their jet ski so I decided to try it. I had them both stand on the back platform and hold onto the grab bar behind the seat. I then stood further back and gave it throttle (worked perfectly). Anyways, I got a $119 ticket because he said it was illegal to drag people behind a jet ski. Technically this isn't dragging anyone because they aren't in the water. Does anyone know the rules for this? I searched and can't find anything on it. Nobody was in the water, just standing on the rear platform. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    I think that hes referring to this....see video at :13 mark

I had 2 people on the back of mine when I did that, but it's the same idea.

+1
    I had 2 people on the back of mine when I did that, but it's the same idea.
    Really ?? that was the only ticket he wrote ??

The cop must have taken into account that no one was hurt and he thought you could pull it off relatively safely. I would pay the ticket and not look a gift-horse in the mouth.
    -there is prob enough vague wording in PA as there is in NY navigation law to charge you with a misdemeanor.

You were charged with 105.3(10) I don't see any defense to this.

+1
    Lol Bunch of "captain safeties" on this forum

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by r33pwrd View Post
    We get a bad rap as it is from people doing stupid things on a PWCs that dont know any better.....NO reason to give them more ammo from an "experienced rider" .....And WHY IN THE HELL is there 3 GUYS on one ski?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic6801 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by r33pwrd View Post
    We get a bad rap as it is from people doing stupid things on a PWCs that dont know any better.....NO reason to give them more ammo from an "experienced rider" .....And WHY IN THE HELL is there 3 GUYS on one ski?
    I can agree with the 3 guys on a ski thing but I have been riding over 20 years and this is something that has been done for years and if not by other boats I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. To me it is way less annoying than a ski with a loud ass exhaust.

+1
    Wake surfing is legal on an inboard boat. Just not an I/O or outboard.

I know everyone is saying that it's dangerous and I understand that. I've been around these things for a while, as well as other motor sports. I just wanted to know if technically it was illegal to do. After reading the code I found it does not show clear wording on if it is legal or not. I know the harm it can cause. It may not have been the safest thing to do, but I was also very careful when I attempted it. I'm not some other dumb kid that is messing around on something that he has no idea what harm can be done with a mistake. I appreciate the answers that everyone is giving me though.
    my lawyer once told me that the funny thing about laws and understanding them is to not read them word for word but rather try to see in what other ways it could be translated/interpreted. Ive seen laws twisted and translated into something completely diff from what it entailed. basically the ticket you got was justified according to the laws/ rules but thanks to the vagueness/words used any judge can spin that to mean no wheelies on a jetski....

word of advice if you want to continue to wheelie and do some fun/dangerous stuff on your ski.....find a nice cove secluded are from the rest of the lake kinda away from other boats if possible. The section of lake i ride on is a separate from the main lake and alot less chop and traffic in general. ive never seen any type of authority anywhere near the cove. Its my little stomping grounds where i can rip it up, act a fool, and probably do something dangerous lol. And those wheelies are hella fun to do.. i wont lie ive definitely done it a few times myself.

12. +1 by:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information