Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    New pump seal kit and intake grate for my 2001 XLT 1200 arrived today. Does anyone have any recommended brand and # of silicone to use in sealing everything? Couldn't find any recommendations in my brief search of the threads.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Zardoz

former sea doo owner, will never own one again

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by zardoz View Post
    New pump seal kit and intake grate for my 2001 XLT 1200 arrived today. Does anyone have any recommended brand and # of silicone to use in sealing everything?
    3M 5200 for the pump plug.

Let me know how easy the work/install is for the intake grate and pump seal. Im working on my driveway with basic tools and have yet to be stumped by any work on my 2000 gp1200r, would really like to know how and if i can do these upgrades myself

Thanks for the advice CCW. I'd really like to see the step-by-step process when you replace your impeller. I hope you have the time and inclination to document it for us. I dont' know if I need a new impeller, but if I do, detained instructions on r & r would be great to have.

Yamy, I will try to put together some instructions and pictures of the pump seal and grate replacement. There is a thread on GreenHulk that shows this but when it comes up on my screen it's a tiny, tiny picture in the corner and I can't get it to expand. The instructions don't seem to be that hard, so long as you have a torque wrench. Here are some basic instructions that I'll be using on how to install the pump seal kit: http://www.rivaracing.com/instructions/ry2519.pdf

I hope to have everything plugged and sealed this week. I'll keep you posted.

Zardoz

Thanks for the advice CCW. I'd really like to see the step-by-step process when you replace your impeller. I hope you have the time and inclination to document it for us. I dont' know if I need a new impeller, but if I do, detained instructions on r & r would be great to have.

Yamy, I will try to put together some instructions and pictures of the pump seal and grate replacement. There is a thread on GreenHulk that shows this but when it comes up on my screen it's a tiny, tiny picture in the corner and I can't get it to expand. The instructions don't seem to be that hard, so long as you have a torque wrench. Here are some basic instructions that I'll be using on how to install the pump seal kit: http://www.rivaracing.com/instructions/ry2519.pdf

I hope to have everything plugged and sealed this week. I'll keep you posted.

Zardoz

Thanks zardoz, looking forward to hearing how it goes with your ski

+1
    Thanks for the advice CCW. I'd really like to see the step-by-step process when you replace your impeller.

Actually, I already replaced it with a Solas 12/18 but it is a very easy process and took all of about 30 minutes.

1. Pull steering, reverse and trim cable ends off the nozzle.
    2. Remove gay spray hose.
    3. Remove (4) [long] 14mm pump bolts.
    4. Remove rear pump housing (aft of impeller).
    5. Pull shaft/impeller assembly out.
    6. Put spline tool onto splines of shaft and put spline tool in vice to hold shaft.
    7. Spin impeller nut CCW.
    8. Remove impeller.
    9. Replace impeller (add anti seize).
    10. Reverse process for installation.

Took the intake grate and pump housing off my 2001 XLT 1200 this AM. I'm happy to announce that the impeller and wear ring look fine, without excessive clearance. "Light-touch" Marty, my auto mechanic, was able to break all of the bolts loose without having to heat them. It takes years of experience.

Cannot put everything back together until Monday, when the 3M 5200 arrives from UPS. In the meantime I have a question: in the pump seal kit there is nothing to seal the "bottom" the new R&D intake grate. There is a cavity in the "bottom" of the intake grate where it mates up to the pump housing. Please refer to picture and the cavity I am talking about is circled in red.

Does this cavity need to be filled before I put everything back together? It seems foolish to seal every other cavity in the vicintiy and leave that huge cavity unfilled. I can have it filled and cured by Monday when I expect to put everything back together. Please give me some advice.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Zardoz

+1
    The pump seal kit doesnt't come with anything to seal the casting cavities of the intake. I did not fill the cavity on my intake and it doesn't cavitate at all. As a matter of fact, the hole shot is crazy. While the pump housing is off, seal all the mating surfaces inside the pump tunnel.

Pump shoe to hull.
    Intake to hull.
    Intake to Pump Shoe.

I used a thin bead of 3M 5200 to seal all 3 areas up real good and am very happy.

Cavatation issue solved! No problems whatsoever. The 2001 XLT hugs the water like a mistress! Ran like a scalded dog.

My next question is whether I should update the 2002 XLT even though it doesn't seem to have any cavatation problems. It ran +1 too.

First time I have gone to Kelleys Island with two PWC's that ran since 2011. Weather could have been a little more cooperative, but at least the machine performed well.

Zardoz

+1
    Where did you buy the seal kit and grate?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information