Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    +1
    Denatured alcohol. Makes sense, because I just fixed the instrument cluster on my truck a couple of weeks ago the same way.

Opening up this thread again.
    I have 2 skis, 2003 STX-12f, and 2004 STX-12f.

The 04 runs great, but the 03 needs a new display. I just picked 1 up on ebay for $400 which i thought was a good price, but next will be getting it installed. i have been browsing this thread and from what i can tell, it has the best info on what to do, step by step.

My question: Do you have to remove the handlebars, or can the display be replaced with the handlebars in place? Thanks in advance for any advice, tips or overall guidance.

Rb

+1
    Hi,
    And just to bump on this thread. I have a 2002 900STX and a 2003 12F STX. Both have flaky displays. Has anyone figured out a was to remove/simulate the display so that if we wanted to install analog gauges or build a new dash we wont have to do a standalone wiring harness? it's like they repackaged a motorcycle dash without taking into account the marine environment that must be endured.

Tom

hi, long time reader, first time poster here. been hunting for some info on an 08 ultra 1500 lx, non sc. looking to bench test the MFD, cant seem to find wiring diagram or which wires need jumped to test and see if it powers up. any help is appreciated, thanks!

you got the male connector with four connections. Black wire goes to ground. Red wire goes to +12 volts. Red/White wire goes to 12 volts too. Hook up red and black, then the red/white wire to simulate power up in the boat.

Everything should light up then go out.

+1
    New to jet skis, just picked up a 2000 900 STX at auction, slowly going through it and reading a lot here for info, so far I have a bad display and a seized up jet pump. Motor spins and everthing else looks good ... neglected but good.

So after reading this topic I have a question, will the stx run without the display ??

Just picked up a used non running 08' STX-15. Looks to be in good shape, but the fuel pump and the display is bad. I have ordered a fuel pump, but the displays are really crazy expensive. I have the display out thanks to your help, but how does one really split open this display/meter case without damaging it? I realize this is an old thread, but someone must have been successful at it and the Ebay repair guys must have a technique that works. Any advise or direction would greatly be appreciated. Thanks and wish me luck with this thing. I am sure it will be fun.

+1
    It's not designed to come apart. You can remove the rubber plug on the back to try to dry it out, but that usually works only within a day or less of when it got water in it (or whatever happened).

It is possible to cut it open using various means; Dremel tool, hot knife, etc. Corrosion start as soon as moisture gets in and power is applied. It eats up connections and conductive strips on the circuit board. I think the best thing to do is buy a decent one off of Ebay.

Seal the back plug & wires with 3M 5200 Fast Cure.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    It's not designed to come apart. You can remove the rubber plug on the back to try to dry it out, but that usually works only within a day or less of when it got water in it (or whatever happened).

It is possible to cut it open using various means; Dremel tool, hot knife, etc. Corrosion start as soon as moisture gets in and power is applied. It eats up connections and conductive strips on the circuit board. I think the best thing to do is buy a decent one off of Ebay.

Seal the back plug & wires with 3M 5200 Fast Cure.

Steve, I'm going to seal mine for preventive maintenance. Do I just seal underneath the grommet ring, and where the wires exit the grommet?

+1
    That's what I did. Pull out the grommet and put sealer all around it, then all over the wires where they go into the plug. It looks messy, but keeps the water out.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information