Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    I was working on a plug and play replacement since if you just unplug it, you can't use the ski. My display was too far gone to trace the contacts though. If you send me a pm we can try to get something working.

Sean

2. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Stedson350v View Post
    I need some advise on my 15f. The gauge is toast, it had water in it but I ignored it. It kept going into SLO mode and it stopped charging so if I were to ride and turn it off, that was it. I removed it and attempted to dry it out and after over a week it looks dry. Hooked it up loosely and nothing. So I either need a used one or some info from people who have worked one. I checked the classifieds and didn't see any. I was also going to see if maybe anyone wants this one to mess with. I hate it because it has around 70 hours on it and it's an 06 ski. Thanks for any help. I also have a GP1200R gauge laying around.
    If it had water in it for any length of time, especially with the power turned on, it's probably toast. Corrosion starts to eat up all the connections and wire traces on the circuit board, then there's nothing you can do.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sortsol View Post
    Thanks Steve. You've been extremely helpful!! I'll let it all dry out and see how it does!
    So, first of all, I want to thank all that replied, especially Steve45. As a follow up, I took the display out and dried it hooked it up and turned the key and nothing from the display. I than got some 91% alcohol and swished it around in there and dumped it out and let it dry out again. This time when I hooked it all back up and turned it key, it turned on and acted totally normal! I put 3M 5200 all over the plug and wiring and waterproofed it the best I could and put it all back together. Took it down to the lake for a couple of hours yesterday and it ran perfectly the whole time. Thanks again for the help. For now, I'm good. Keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way!

Mike

+1
    Great! Glad the alcohol worked. I've got one on the bench right now that I put a bunch of contact cleaner in and I ended up making it worse.

+1
    Any one have a dead STX 12f / 15f display they are going to toss out? If so, I'll take it and open it up to see what makes it tick. maybe I can up with a solution / workaround for maybe having an alternative to these displays. Maybe going to a different all-in-one type of digital display, or even separate digital or analog functions.

The 2007 STX 12f I just bought has an Ultra display in it that has the boost gauge around the edge of the right gauge screen (unused on my ski). Who ever installed that one, McGuiver'd the dash a little, because the 2 mode / function buttons are on the bottom, instead of on the side.

+1
    This is what's inside:

Notice the white strip at the bottom. This is actually a connector that connects the circuit board to the LCD display. Contaminants here will cause you to lose segments.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Multi-Function Display 1.jpg 
Views:	792 
Size:	180.9 KB 
ID:	418967   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Multi-Function Display 2.jpg 
Views:	717 
Size:	188.3 KB 
ID:	418968   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Multi-Function Display 5.jpg 
Views:	826 
Size:	200.4 KB 
ID:	418969  

+1
    It would be nice to have a list of which displays are interchangeable into which ski. My 12F displays are good for now but I'm sure they won't last forever. A lot of the displays seems similar enough that one from a different type ski could be made to work.

+1
    I've switched displays in at least one of my STXs. Some things to consider:

3 plugs or 4? Trim indicator? Fuel gauge sender resistance? Check engine warning?

My MFD is from a 2000 Kawasaki 1100 STX DI.

I really appreciate the posts above! I just had a lot of missing segments. I could not open it for the life of me - I broke out the dremel with a cutting wheel and got it open. The board and LCD were remarkably clean. I used a cotton swap and some 99.9% alcohol on the "snake" (silicone w/carbon conductor columns, it's the LCD-to-PCB connector), and LCD as well as the gold plated pads on the PCB. [I learned this from working on *early* "laptops" - anyone remember the Tandy 100?] Any alcohol less than 99% is bad - it contains water and will leave a residue. Contact Cleaner however may be too harsh - if you're seeing any black carbon on your swab it's too strong and eating away the carbon. I noticed that the snake was sitting just about level with the plastic rest in some places (gets squashed over time, and heat?) so I took some emery cloth and shaved down that side a bit (before cleaning w/alcohol). That's the side with the angled bracket mount and two screw holes that clamp the snake to the PCB.

On power up, it now lights up *every* segment (including some icons at the bottom I've never seen before). Now just need to epoxy it up and add a bit of silicone sealant and should be good to go!.... after I fix all of the other problems with this 19 year old ski!
    Last edited by BusaPilot; 06-17-2018 at 02:58 PM.

+1
    Thanks, BusaPilot! I may have to open up the one I've got. I opened an Ultra 150 display using a heated Exacto knife (it's like a soldering iron with a knife blade instead of a soldering tip).

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information