Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Any idea why I can't find a used one anywhere? Would a used one even work on my unit if I found one...assuming it is ok. How much do used ones go for if I find one? Is it simply remove the old one and plug in the new one, or do i have to take it in to the shop so they can plug some computer in so it recognizes the new unit? This thing is so frustrating. It's been a great ski and I'd hate to part it out, but maybe it would be a better idea than to invest $1000.

A used one of the same part number should just plug and play IF it is in fact the display that's causing the slo mode. Good used ones are hard to find because of the cost new ones and because this is a fairly common failure. You can find used ones but expect to pay 3-$500 when they become available.

Thanks for the info. I lost one today online that a guy put online and it sold within an hour. $495. I appreciate the help.

Quote Originally Posted by JAV View Post
    just a follow-up. While I haven't figured out the communications line, i was able to repair my display- I no longer have a battery voltage warning, My tach works perfectly as does the speed display.

If anyone has dead displays, I'd be interested in purchasing them to see if there any any similarities in the failure modes.
    How did you repair your display?

+1
    Well since he hasn't had any activity on here in over two years, I don't think you're going to get a reply.

i halfway repaired mine. mine was completely out so i said what the hell can it hurt, pulled the meter, carefully pulled it apart and found some rust on the board. i cleaned the board and led display very good with rubbing alcohol and lightly sanded/scraped the rust off. put everything back together and sealed the unit with..well i forget now what i sealed it with. plugged the unit in and it came on. a couple of led on the time is hard to see and for some reason the speed doesnt work but the rpms fuel warning light and most of the leds in the warning codes work. but the warning buzzer doesnt. i replaced the buzzer still doesnt work. i just wish the speed worked but atleast i can see my fuel (main concern) and rpms. its just insane these dang things cost $1,100 new. i did find some new ones listed on ebay for $699 that im seriously thinking about buying. thats still alot of cash for a 05 ski and im sure at 699$ they are still making $200-$300 off each unit. these units probably only cost kawasaki $100-$150 if that to make.

+1
    Quick question concerning the display. My family was on vacation and my brother and his wife were out on my stx-15f. Not sure how they did it, but they managed to tip it over. It was upside down for 15 or 20 minutes because they couldn't figure out how to right it. I know, don't let other people ride your stuff. I'm fine with it. I was out with my wife at the time and came back to an upside down ski.

Long story short, everything works great on it, but the display has intermittent weirdness. I was on it today and the display got stuck showing random lcd characters for 5 minutes and then went back to normal and worked great after that. Do you think this is going to get worse? If so, i'm guessing I have to remove the display from the ski and dry it out. That sounds painful. If I do manage to get it out of the ski, how hard is it to take the display apart to dry it out?

Thanks!

Mike

+1
    You have to take off the handle bars and associated parts, reverse lever, etc. then remove the cowling.

When you get to the display, remove the rubber plug on the back and try to dry it out inside with a hair dryer. Don't get it too hot. When you put it back together, seal the plug & wires with 3M 5200 Fast Cure.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    You have to take off the handle bars and associated parts, reverse lever, etc. then remove the cowling.

When you get to the display, remove the rubber plug on the back and try to dry it out inside with a hair dryer. Don't get it too hot. When you put it back together, seal the plug & wires with 3M 5200 Fast Cure.
    Thanks!! I didn't realize there was a plug is there. Hopefully that will save me from having to try and split it apart! I appreciate the help. Is there a way to know if it's dry inside?

+1
    If it was upside down for 20 minutes, and now it doesn't work, it's got water inside. It may be too late to save it. If drying it doesn't help, you might try putting some isopropyl alcohol in it, then drying it again. The alcohol absorbs water, but it usually contains water, too. I've been successful, and I've failed. It's really a crap shoot.

11. +1 by:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information