Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by DonHy View Post
    This comes from a Suncor representative that certifies blends it was half hour phone conversation. Because 94 must contain ethanol and the mix happens at the point of sale all blends will have ethanol ...

at the sites with no 94 they have the ability to provide 91 ethanol free
    This was indeed my understanding until just now.

Adding 10% ethanol adds about 3 full octane points to the pure gasoline. So to create 94 octane they would need a supply of pure 91 octane gasoline in the underground tank. This is why the 94 must contain ethanol.

The regular grade 87 octane already includes 10% ethanol. My understanding was that to create the mid-grade 89 octane they were mixing the 91 straight gasoline half and half with the regular 87 octane. The result is 89 octane with 5% ethanol.

All this requires three storage tanks. 87 octane, 91 octane (ethanol-free), and a tank with pure ethanol.

What are they now doing that is different from the above? How to provide 91 octane gasoline with ethanol, when they need the 91 without ethanol in order to blend up to 94 octane?
    Last edited by K447; 06-25-2014 at 10:02 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DonHy View Post
    This comes from a Suncor representative ... it was half hour phone conversation...
    Could you provide (or PM me) contact info for this Suncor rep?

+1
    Bringing this thread back to life...

I was fueling yesterday at an Esso station and saw a sticker right on the pump that read "all grades of fuel may contain up to 10% Ethanol" or something similar to that.

I wonder if there's any way to get a 100% answer from the fuel suppliers to guarantee no ethanol is being used.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogzilla View Post
    Bringing this thread back to life...

I was fueling yesterday at an Esso station and saw a sticker right on the pump that read "all grades of fuel may contain up to 10% Ethanol" or something similar to that.

I wonder if there's any way to get a 100% answer from the fuel suppliers to guarantee no ethanol is being used.
    You can call each major fuel brand and ask them straight up.

As far as I know the MAY CONTAIN label is a legal weasel label so they don't have to keep track of how much ethanol is in any given fuel grade.

But the corporate policy and infrastructure system for each company defines what ethanol is actually in the fuel. It is not random, the distributor knows exactly what they are selling to the stations.

You can also test the gasoline yourself. Not hard to do, just need a graduated clear container, small amount of fuel to test and a few drops of water.

Test kits are available and test methods are easily found on the Internet.
    Last edited by K447; 06-25-2014 at 05:26 PM.

+1
    I contacted each retailer head office directly, all responses i got are posted unedited at the beginning of the thread. The only tricky retailer is Petro Canada, if a petro canada site sells 94 means all blends will contain ethanol if not the top blend will be ethanol free.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    All this requires three storage tanks. 87 octane, 91 octane (ethanol-free), and a tank with pure ethanol.
    Ethanol is "splash" mix in the tanker when it leaves the refinery, there are no stand alone Ethanol tanks at gas stations.

Any fuel bought on the water at a marina will be ethanol free

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestram View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

[..]
    Ethanol is "splash" mix in the tanker when it leaves the refinery, there are no stand alone Ethanol tanks at gas stations.

Any fuel bought on the water at a marina will be ethanol free
    Do you have links or other data to support that zero-ethanol-at-the-Marina statement?

Regarding Petro-Canada and their roadside gas stations that sell the Ultra94 grade, instead of having a separate ethanol tank you say they are mixing ethanol into the 91 straight gasoline at the distribution center to create the Ultra94 product and requiring a separate storage tank at the retail station, correct?
    But why also add ethanol to the 91 grade product at those stations but not at the older stations that max out at 91 octane?

+1
    I hate Canadian tire gas. Every time I fill up my 645 I get a check engine. And so do the rest of the fam with their euro cars.

+1
    Apparently Ontario is proposing a rule change for regular grade gasoline (88 octane and lower) that would boost the minimum ethanol content to a full 10%.

Unclear how how this might affect non-ethanol premium gasoline availability, not whether this is only for southern Ontario.

Comment period ends January 23, 2018

Amendments to Ethanol in Gasoline (O. Reg. 535/05) and Greener Diesel Renewable Fuel Content Requirements for Petroleum Diesel Fuel (O. Reg. 97/14) Regulations

+1
    In my area Shell 91 has no ethanol, I have checked both local stations

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information