Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sorry it took so long to respond, I've been super busy this past weekend. Anyway, I wouldn't put RTV in the plug because gasoline eats RTV. The crimped connects are snug (on the crimp as well as in the plug) and will be fine as long as they cannot arc. The OEM connector that was originally plugged in isn't hermatically sealed either so the issue of the connectors being exposed to gas isn't a problem, the problem would be if there were an arc and that arc was exposed to the vapors, then we would have a problem. I'm confident that the crimps and connectors will not come loose. Before I started crimping I plugged two slide connectors in and had to remove them with needle nose pliers because I could not remove them by hand. I just wanted to clear that up. Thanks for all the input and I appreciate this forum because without it, I probably would have had to spend big bucks on a replacement fuel pump. Next stop, getting that oil filter off. LOL. Thanks again!

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    I didn't mean to use the rtv as a seal more as a glue. Im just overly cautious when it comes to electricity and fuel in close proximity.

Sean

Did you have to purge the air out of the fuel lines after you had the new pump in and working? if so how?

+1
    No, you just crank the motor over, its not like a tdi or commonrail.

Sean

Like Sean said, I didn't have to purge anything, I ended up taking off the fuel rail before the pump replacement and tested the injectors and also to see if the fuel rail was mucked up after sitting so long, anyway after the pump installation it fired right up no problems.

Finally got it out on the lake yesterday. Ran a little rough and then quit, got it home and found that i had 2 bad spark plugs. Ughhh, I should've checked these before taking it out. At least it was an easy fix...

+1
    How difficult is it to get to the pump? Im about to do this with a Walbro pump, do i need just the Walbro GSS342 pump? Or do i get a complete kit for an 07' Imprezza which comes with the pump + install kit?

+1
    Get the kit, its not too bad. I will try and get a guide made up.

First you need to remove the glove box.
    Second remove the 2 fuel lines from the old pump.
    Third remove the lower hose clamp from the pump itself, then pull the pump housing out.

be careful when removing the wires from the fuel pump, you don't want to damage the top connector.

Sean

+1
    It is not bad at all to remove as Sean said. I had mine out last year troubleshooting my ski (turned out to be an exhaust leak). While your doing this, check the relief valve, mine was plugged.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by squared View Post
    I share you concern about sparking with the connections inside the tank. Mine has been running for at least the last four years with crimped connectors and I haven't fried yet. This is the second pump replacement I've done on mine, the first time around I picked a pump that was a little smaller in diameter, it finally died and I put this one in. You just have to be really careful that the crimp is sound and that the connectors chosen are not affected by gasoline. I soaked one in gas overnight prior to doing the job to verify to myself that wasn't an issue either. Been on a couple of rides with the Airtex and it seems to work 4.0.
    You concern about sparking inside the tank is not really valid. First of all, that electric fuel pump is an electric motor with brushes and they spark. Second, lets go back to school. We need 3 things for combustion, an ignition source like a spark. Something flammable, like gasoline and lastly, oxygen, and there is not much oxygen in the fuel tank. To much fuel vapors and not enough oxygen will not cause combustion. the same reason you engine will not run if to rich.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information