Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

+1
    Like everyone else is saying, get it in the water and see how she runs under load. We'll be watching this thread to see how it turns out. Good luck and hopefully you'll find some time to ride sooner rather than later!

If ur not hitting at least 7k out of water what's putting it in water going to do. If u can't hit the revlimiter with out a load ur not going to hit it with a load... Save ur trip to the water till u hit at least 7k as it would be pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by yamahayz250rider View Post
    If ur not hitting at least 7k out of water what's putting it in water going to do. If u can't hit the revlimiter with out a load ur not going to hit it with a load... Save ur trip to the water till u hit at least 7k as it would be pointless.
    Got any tips on what I could change to get past 4500? Be glad to try it.

It's not normal for a ski to not rev to the revlimiter with no load. People saying out it in the water what's that really going to do show u u have a problem u already know about so waste half a day..

I'd do the simple stuff first. Cut the wires back get new sparkplug boots autozone Carrys them ngks. Get new plugs br8hs
    Pull carbs pull the jets clean them pull the needles out. Clean them did u adjust the screws at all? When I get home I can tell yeah what factory settings are on the screwes.

What size seats did u put back in? What siZe did u pull back out by the sounds of it main jets clogged or screw is.
    But don't waste ur time figure it out get it to rev now and tune at the lake under a load.

Is temp sensor still hooked up on the ski?

Double post...sorry. Using my phone with fat fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by yamahayz250rider View Post
    It's not normal for a ski to not rev to the revlimiter with no load. People saying out it in the water what's that really going to do show u u have a problem u already know about so waste half a day..

I'd do the simple stuff first. Cut the wires back get new sparkplug boots autozone Carrys them ngks. Get new plugs br8hs
    Pull carbs pull the jets clean them pull the needles out. Clean them did u adjust the screws at all? When I get home I can tell yeah what factory settings are on

What size seats did u put back in? What siZe did u pull back out by the sounds of it main jets clogged or screw is.
    But don't waste ur time figure it out get it to rev now and tune at the lake under a load.

Is temp sensor still hooked up on the ski?
    Has new plugs. I cleaned everything, soaked parts in berrymans carb soak, blew off with compressed air, replaced all gaskets/diaphragms/filters/etc. Needles and seats, pulled 1.5, replaced with 1.5, put spring that matched the one I took out, put screws to what I found to be factory (5/8 on both lows and the front high, 1-1/8 on rear high), soaked mains, blew them out, reinstalled.

One thing I did try was putting the old plugs back in, which gave me even less rpm (~3000). Not sure on temp sensor.

+1
    Might sound silly, but is the throttle cable out of adjustment by any chance ?!

Naw...or at least not to the point that its causing the problem. I reckon I need to back-up: How do I eliminate the other problem areas and narrow it to the carbs? Compression test will give me a decent idea on compression (I know from 2 stroke boat motors that leak-down is better for seeing how tight your entire assembly is), what can I do to test spark? I know its sparking because it does run...I don't know that its providing the right/enough spark.

I haven't tried running it straight from a container of premix yet...might give that a shot. I pulled the carbs back off, put a new gasket between the carbs and the intake, pulled the screws/jets and ran through them again, put it back together at factory settings and no change (or if anything worse). I'm assuming I have a carb problem, and I'm assuming I'm not going to see it since I've twice pulled them apart and put them together thinking it was right. I hesitate to take it to a mechanic for a few reasons: 1. I can freaking fix it... 2. I'm sure they'll charge me as much for the repairs as I paid for the ski and trailer.

To add insult to injury, Monday the front hub bearing on my F350 went out [catastrophically] and I've been in a borrowed Subaru with no hitch, so if I thought it was worth water testing it (not convinced at this point) I can't get it there.

Quote Originally Posted by CDW78 View Post
    Might sound silly, but is the throttle cable out of adjustment by any chance ?!

+1
    Its not a bad idea to run a bunch of tests on it. Compression test is a good idea. Spark probably isn't your problem but the test is quick and easy. Use a spark tester as it really loads the ignition system for a proper test. You could also resistance test the stator assembly as described in the service manual if you are concerned with the spark.
    check the charging system. If its not charging and the voltage is really low, it might not run right.
    Hopefully you are running water through it properly while running it on the trailer?

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Hopefully you are running water through it properly while running it on the trailer?
    Yep.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information