Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Uggggggg!

I think I'll stick with trying to tune it out through the carburetor settings. If that doesn't work I'll just drive the hell out of it until it blows up and call SBT for a new 1 hahaha just kidding!

does anyone think that the middle and rear spark plug look a little lean or do they look decent?

+1
    From looking at the pics the #1 plug is the one that concerns me.
    Do this put new plugs in take it out and do a full throttle pull then just as you let off the throttle pull the kill out. just make sure your headed to shore so you can safely coast in. then pull the plugs and post them.
    just make sure you pull the plugs before starting it so we can get a true reading on the plugs.
    I believe the problem is in the front cylinder-carb-pipe.

K...so I will warm up the ski with the old plugs, insert new ones, fire up the ski and quickly slam the throttle down. How long at WOT before I dump it and kill it?

+1
    I would do a compression and leak test before you ride it. That number one plug looks like it was not firing, carb is not functioning properly or you have lost compression in that cylinder. The other two look good.

Definitely will do a compression test as well for other reasons ss well. This a new SBT so I didnt want to test it till I had the break in complete but the lake was so flat and it was so warm Mon that I just had to shelve this one and grab the other one to keep riding ha! Unreal warm Winter we r having in east TX. Gotta get this one purring so we can get off shore!

Regarding the cylinder not firing, that would be more of a plug issue or electrical issue rather than compression wouldnt it? I did have a tiny tach hooked to the front plug wire and was reading a good steady 1500ish (bit high for the idle...I know)...so I am assuming I have spark but will chase the deamon out. I can see the carb function being an issue though.

+1
    If you do not have compression you will not have combustion and your plug will look like it was running rich.

Quote Originally Posted by x29c View Post
    If you do not have compression you will not have combustion and your plug will look like it was running rich.
    Cool. well that sure would explain some unburned fuel in the exhaust if that is what is happening. Thanks!

+1
    take the top of the F/A so you can look down into the carb. start it up and check to see if the carb is dribbling out the center venturi common issue with these.

Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post
    take the top of the F/A so you can look down into the carb. start it up and check to see if the carb is dribbling out the center venturi common issue with these.
    Will do Bill. I thought I doubled up that clear check valve but I have been working o too many of these and might have forgotten this set.

+1
    Sometimes doubling on the anti siphon check valve doesn't do it. I have a three pronged attack, doubling the check valve, drilled return mod, and I set the pop-off up a bit to 58-60 PSI. These motors shake so bad at idle that you have to get creative with them. I went to different motor mounts in my 99GP and that helped as well but it is an expensive option.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information