Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    +1
    OK.. Got some pics.. HO engine is out. Removed throttle control and cable, gas tank, water box, pissers and hoses, rear plastic elbows for hoses, wiring harness (still a few left from start/stop), dash, Can't think of what else. I'll try to attach pics for any kind of insight to what I may have missed..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC150384.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	295768   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC150385.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	295769   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC150386.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	295770   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC150388.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	295772   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC150389.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	295773  

+1
    Here's a better pic of the water box area. The engine was a pain in the butt to remove.. had to remove the oil filter and use a lot of finess and jostling (plus I was alone).. You can see the remaining wiring connectors.. I'm hoping the SUV has the same type of plugs?

Name:	PC150384.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	295775   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC150386.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	295776   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC150387a.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	295777  
    Last edited by SUV1200; 03-24-2013 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Forgto to add a wire comment

Hey John, I can't see where those wires go, but the start/stop connectors are the same on both skis. If your FX has a sensor on the steering box, you'll need to pull that too. It won't go on the SUV box, but you'll have to have it plugged into the wiring harness and just wire-tie it out of the way. The speed sensor connector is the same for both Skis, but the FX sensor won't mount on the SUV ride plate, so just keep the SUV sensor. Also, the throttle controls should be the same so you can use the FX cable in the SUV lever.

For your other question on the intermediate housing, just use the housing from the SUV with the FX shaft. It presses out/back in pretty easily. If it fits your budget, I'd replace it or at least put new bearings/seals in the housing so you won't have to worry about it for a long time. The pump tunnel parts won't fit on the SUV so unless the SUV hose or plastic thu-hull are bad, I wouldn't bother changing them. It's bedded in with some pretty tough sealant - the same stuff you'll find bonds the inner and outer hulls together. It kind of looks like peanut butter in color.

Keep the pics coming!

+1
    The ski itself is a 03 FX 140, and there is an extra black wire and plug.. must be for the steering sensor - 2 prong plug. Can I snip the wire and connect ends together?, or does it run into a box by the steering? I may have to go check it again with a mirror.

Name:	PC160387.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	295865  

+1

Coupler

I found that the coupler is actually a 2 piece housing from the SUV (hard to tell with corrosion). I separated the coupler with shaft and now the FX part will bolt right up to it...once it's cleaned and painted!

Name:	PC160391 (2).jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	295887   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC160392 (2).jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	295888  
    Last edited by SUV1200; 03-25-2013 at 04:24 PM. Reason: add picture

The sensor is held on by one bolt, and from what I understand, you have to have it intact and plugged in or the ECU will throw a code. For the intermediate housing, the two ski's use different part numbers but I don't know what is different about them. One resource I use a lot for new parts and to see if part numbers are the same is boats.net. They have online exploded diagrams and very good prices. In fact, sometimes you can buy new OEM parts for less than people are asking for used ones on ebay. See this diagram for the sensor: http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...201/parts.html The sensor is number 39.

For the mating housing, you probably should replace the drive shaft hose since you have it off. If there were any shims on that you'll want to put them back the same way where they were or you may have problems getting the couplers to align properly. Neither of mine had any shims but I have heard people mention them.

+1
    Intermediate shaft/bearing assembly went together with no issues. HO shaft ass'y bolted right up to the SUV spacer/housing, pins aligned and all, and will bolt back onto the compartment wall, so all is good! ps: I have 1 shim at the 12:00 position. Also looking at the FX Water box compared to the SUV water box.. Front neck is much bigger on the SUV, but location of up/exit-neck is in same location as the SUV's and looks to be the same size (but W-box is shorter overall).. I would think it would bolt in OK?, but see there are some mods made to the intermediate exhaust pipe in your blog?
    Last edited by SUV1200; 03-25-2013 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Add more info without starting new comment page

The waterboxes are not the same, at least in the 2004 FX I had. There's no way it would fit in the SUV. I had pictures with an explanation of what I did in my thread to make it work. I cut 2" off the back of the SUV water box and used the neck off the FX box, turning it 180 degrees. Then pie cut the exhaust tube to match up.

+1
    You are 100% correct, the dia is too big...My exhaust tube looks different as it is a 2 piece with the rubber insert (I believe it is cast). Your's doesn't look like that in the pic of the modification. I think the HO vs 140 is different.. Would need the assembly with end connections I guess.?

Name:	Exhaust Tube.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	295927  
    Last edited by SUV1200; 03-26-2013 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Add more info

Well, that certainly makes it a little more challenging. You could cut and pie-fill the housing but that insert probably won't bend as far as you'd need it to. What you can do is get a used one for a HO, which is just a single walled cast tube. To mark the cut, I installed it on the engine, then made the vertical mark plumb (straight up). Then I just cut almost all the way through, heated the tube, then bent it to where I needed it. Once it was good, I filled in the open area with aluminum and welded shut. I cut/bent the tube after installing the engine and modding the waterbox to get the exact fit.

For the water box, if you look clsoely in my pic, all I did was cut the back cap off, then cut exactly 2 more inches out. I used a sawsall and die grinder with a cutoff wheel for the cuts. There's a baffle with two outlets resembling the end of a horn that I cut 1 in off of just because they were close to where the cap would wind up.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information