Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    +1
    Looking at it again, it appears that maybe the SUV coupler has female splines that are in 2" deeper. That would make sense. I'll pull the HO coupler and compare.

Thanks for all the help to date Joe!

+1
    I was able to score 2 factory boarding steps yesterday from Ohio. They are now obsolete so they're hard to find. .Will mount one and maybe keep one for my next SUV1200 project!

+1
    Joe,

Which motor mounts did you use?

I used replacement SUV mounts. If yours are in good shape you can use them but I had oxidation between the rubber and top plate of one of them so I used a new set.

I don't anticipate any issues because the original mounts held up to the abuse of the 1200 "shakers". The 4-stroke is so much smoother that the engine hardly moves at all.

Good find on the boarding steps. I tried to find them and ended up buying the ones for the XL 760's and modifying them to work.

+1
    The FX mounts are new. Do they fit the same pattern? If not, I'll buy new 1200 mounts. PM'd you on thru hull fittings as well. Seems like there's a bunch more on the FX.

The SUV engine bed is flat where the FX is on an angle, so the mounts will not work. You'll need the ones for the SUV.

For the hoses, I transfered every one, including the one for the bilge pump. The starboard pisser is for the intake water and from what I can tell it also creates a vented loop so the water drains out of the intake hoses when the engine is off. The rear one under the seat is for the bilge pump and does the same thing.

Also, the waterbox for the FX isn't going to fit in the SUV. It's several inches bigger in diameter. Maybe someone knows of a smaller waterbox you could use as-is, but what worked best for me was to chop the SUV box and weld on the neck from the FX.

+1
    Great info thanks! it's the little details that kill you.. I don't wan't to give the hull up with parts that I need..I take it you drilled holes and installed the thru hull fittings in the rear box/propeller area.. the 2 right angle black ones about 3/4" -1" dia or so then. and the 2 pissers?

Yes, I drilled the holes, and one thing I forgot to mention was that the hull on the SUV is much thicker than the FX and it's not uniform either. When I drilled the hole for the right pisser, the hull was 1/2" thick, so the nut wouldn't work on the fitting. I used Permatex Right Stuff to seal all all the fittings, which does a real good job holding that pisser fitting in place without the nut. I ran into a similar issue with the bilge outlet fitting but was able to get a right angle air die grinder with a sanding disc to grind just enough of the fiberglass layup around the hole to get the nut on.

I think I mentioned it before but I'd keep the FX hull until you are done with the conversion. I was stealing parts from the FX hull right up to the end.

Jefferson City MO (Ride at Lake of the Ozarks)
    +1
    Ummm, aren't there supposed to be pictures included in a build thread???

10. +1 by:

+1
    Still in planning and education stage. Have some pics, but how do I attach them. Engine is being pulled from the FX next week. Also consider that I had not found this particular info on any of the other threads, and it is important stuff (thanks Joe!) .
    Last edited by SUV1200; 03-18-2013 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Add more info

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information