Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by toomanytoys View Post
    Sorry guys, I wrongly thought the exhaust on the NA was the same. I agree with bliping the throttle before shutting it down. I notice if I idle for a long time and shut the ski down, even with the filter I get a difference. There is a no wake zone before we stop at a shop. Just before I reach the shore I put it in reverse and give it a couple of blips.

Sorry about the misinformation again.

Cheers, Mal.
    No problem Mal.......every bit of info has been usefull....

Quote Originally Posted by lasportsmn View Post
    Lets back up here. If you have the Ultra LX, the non supercharged model, no the filter will not fit.
    How old is your battery? I had this issue with my LX. THe battery was showing full charge and would accept a charge but load it the amps were not high enough when the voltage was. The other thing is I am sure you are just idling across the reef before drifting back across. You are completely filling the waterbox making it hard to force the exhaust gasses into the water plugged piping. Before you shut it off give it a few hits on the throttle. That would also be resolved with a prople battery.
    To answer some of your questions -

I have two battries & they are both brand new. Fully charged..and had them load tested at battery shop.

I switch the ski off while I am drifting. The dirft time is different depending on the day, but can be anything from 5 minutes to half and hour plus..whilst spearfishing even longer...

It's when I try and re start I have the problem.

Things are still pointing towards either the "hot start issue"
    or
    Water in the exhaust cannot be forced out making it hard to start.

Keep the idea's coming as the weather is good this weekend and I will definately be testing some of your idea's.

Thanks again....shit I love this site....

PS. Cannot understand the wet plug thing mentioned by someone?....if the plugs were getting wet it would take ages to start of I would have to replace the plugs.

Banned User
    +1

Hot start problem with 2010 Ultra LX

Usually one plug only gets wet that's why' it runs on three cylinders.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    The plugs get wet because of the atmosphere in the cylinder has vapor in it. (H2O kind) It is not enough to show up like a bunch of water, but is enough to defeat ignition = no start. All of my plugs have shown varying degrees of moisture exposure and all indicate not one cylinder or the other. So I do not think it is a position thing as much as which exhaust valve happens to be open the most. I will say the # 1 has shown more rust. I never had the 3 cylinder issue as FIRE described above.
    I think your issue is again 2 fold: The stopping of the ski after running a while with alot of water in the exhaust sytem + vapor. Also the extended stops. I really feel you need to start the ski now & then will be a big help, along with blipping when stopping.
    Good luck and have fun out there.

Thanks.....for all the input

Quote Originally Posted by rlovebk View Post
    The plugs get wet because of the atmosphere in the cylinder has vapor in it. (H2O kind) It is not enough to show up like a bunch of water, but is enough to defeat ignition = no start. All of my plugs have shown varying degrees of moisture exposure and all indicate not one cylinder or the other. So I do not think it is a position thing as much as which exhaust valve happens to be open the most. I will say the # 1 has shown more rust. I never had the 3 cylinder issue as FIRE described above.
    I think your issue is again 2 fold: The stopping of the ski after running a while with alot of water in the exhaust sytem + vapor. Also the extended stops. I really feel you need to start the ski now & then will be a big help, along with blipping when stopping.
    Good luck and have fun out there.
    Thanks for all the info so far .......at least I now have some very good idea's as to what's causing the starting problem...

On my 2009 260x, I had the same issue as described here. What worked for me, upon restarting the Ski, was to NOT give it any throttle when depressing the Green Start Button. Most times the ski lit right up. But by the same token I learned to never stop the Ski in a situation where it could be dangerous if the Ski did not start right away. Learned that lesson the hard way . . . . JB

Banned User
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    On my 2009 260x, I had the same issue as described here. What worked for me, upon restarting the Ski, was to NOT give it any throttle when depressing the Green Start Button. Most times the ski lit right up. But by the same token I learned to never stop the Ski in a situation where it could be dangerous if the Ski did not start right away. Learned that lesson the hard way . . . . JB
    Only thing comparable between those two skis is the hull. Motor exhaust etc is totally different.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Warren knows what he is talking about, from what research I have done (I never had the problem so I can't comment) is that the ecu takes a base reading from the 3 temp sensors, intake air temp, water temp (in the exhaust) and oil temp (in the pan) and generates a "map" based on these readings for start up. This map is related to the MAP sensor reading at key on (barometric) and the temp readings to determine how much fuel the engine will need to start. As engines get warmer the ecu turns down the amount of fuel needed to start the engine because you get a more combustible mixture when the fuel hits a hot intake valve rather than a cold one meaning the engine needs less fuel to start. Well, when you run the engine for any period of time the exhaust gets hot and while the engine is running it is cooled by the water from the pump. If you shut the engine off the water drains out of the exhaust manifold and the sensor gets heat soaked and it reads higher than the ski thinks it should be and leans out the mixture. Trick is to feed the sensor an altered reading at a lower temp to get more fuel in.

Thats just a theory but it makes sense

Sean

Hot start issues on Ultra LX

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    Warren knows what he is talking about, from what research I have done (I never had the problem so I can't comment) is that the ecu takes a base reading from the 3 temp sensors, intake air temp, water temp (in the exhaust) and oil temp (in the pan) and generates a "map" based on these readings for start up. This map is related to the MAP sensor reading at key on (barometric) and the temp readings to determine how much fuel the engine will need to start. As engines get warmer the ecu turns down the amount of fuel needed to start the engine because you get a more combustible mixture when the fuel hits a hot intake valve rather than a cold one meaning the engine needs less fuel to start. Well, when you run the engine for any period of time the exhaust gets hot and while the engine is running it is cooled by the water from the pump. If you shut the engine off the water drains out of the exhaust manifold and the sensor gets heat soaked and it reads higher than the ski thinks it should be and leans out the mixture. Trick is to feed the sensor an altered reading at a lower temp to get more fuel in.

Thats just a theory but it makes sense

Sean
    Sean,

Here's a thought...what about replacing my 2010 model "water temp sensor" with a new 2012 "WTS".

If the guys on the 2012 models are not having this problem, not that I have seen on this forum anyway!! then perhaps kawasaki may have changed something?? mapping, sensor calibration etc.

I did notice that the sensor part numbers for 2010 & 2012 are different..

Just trying every option...without knowing much about jetski motors etc....

What do you think....

Banned User
    +1

That's the easiest fix it is a new updated sensor and has fixed the issues on the boats around here.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information