Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Your last sentence nailed it!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
    ..... received a note that SUP's can be out after dark if properly lit (as defined by the Coast Guard).

What is a SUP?

+1
    Those standup paddleboards.

S

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WJGerrish View Post
    The less intrusive but seemingly ineffective flashlight with traffic cone!! thanks for the ideas. I know jetski fishing is seemingly popular in NZ as most of what I have found is from there. So I will definitely look at those companies to see if the ship to the US.
    I just picked up some lights at Walmart that use batteries. On the front light I used velcro. The back light came with retractable pole and I fastened it to my fish rack on back.
    In Tenn. you have to be at the dock one hour before dark or you get a ticket. I like to have mine for early morning fishing.

I know this is an old thread but with the way the newer skis are built now with 4 stroke engines and being 12 feet long it seems like maybe this law should be revisited and rewritten. Sure would be a hell of a lot safer if a ski came with some high intensity nav lights and some headlights. All the features on my rxt-x, stereo, gps, fishing rod mounts, but no lights. The manufacturer could make some highly reliable lighting systems that would prove to be an asset. I see guys offshore fishing on the bigger skis several miles out. Sure would make a nighttime rescue a lot easier. We need to get some lobbyists on our side.

+1
    I would have thought the PWC manufacturers association or the national Marine association would be the obvious choice as a lobby but if I remember right I've already contacted them and gotten nowhere.

There seems to be no interest in getting our skis able to be used in the dark.

And like others and I have said you can take a hardware store jon boat or a stand up paddle board out in the dark without risk of getting a ticket.

I don't want to go out at midnight but being able to go out an hour or two before sunrise would be an advantage.

Thoughts?

+1
    let me let me share one final thought and I don't know if lighting a ski has anything to do with anything here but there is a federal Park in the area that prohibits the use of jet skis or launched from their ramp. I can't use the ramp I have to go down to a normal ramp miles down the road and then if I want to fish in that area I have to come back and go around. Miles out of the way

I don't know if that has anything to do with the rule though.

It seems to me that these large donzi type boats with their twin outdrives would do more damage to the area then my small Ski fully equipped to go fishing and not wave jumping

I would actually pay a premium on licensing or registration to be able to go out at any time

Maybe that's the key. Appeal to their profit pocket

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    If my memory is correct, when this was brought up a few years ago it came down to the seating position being the issue. Basically they claimed it was because you were riding on the pwc vs in a boat which was less safe. The paddleboard and kayak aren't driven crafts, while you sit inside a jon boat.

Its an odd distinction since I would much rather be holding onto handlebars for stability/security rather than being unconstrained on a boat seat.

It could come down to what happens if you get tossed at night from a pwc and are unmarked. It far more likely for someone to end up in the water on a pwc vs a boat. Last I checked though, in Texas you arent allowed to pull skiers, boarders, or tubers after dark either.

Sean

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information