Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    +1
    Bill i guess i missed it but where does it say no lights on a pwc?

Quote Originally Posted by 83Gator View Post
    I've never understood any law that prohibits having the lights to begin with. I understand being cited for running past sundown which would be a clear violation, but just having the lights installed...? Makes no sense - actually, I'd like to see the USCG regs (or state for that manner) that actually prohibit attachment/hull alteration/installation of navigation lights.

EDIT: Maybe we should have an annual PM PWC tour in Delaware?

TITLE 23
    Navigation and Waters
    CHAPTER 22. BOATING SAFETY

Subchapter II. Personal Watercraft
    (b) No person shall operate a personal watercraft at any time between sunset and sunrise and at times of restricted visibility unless the personal watercraft is equipped with navigation lights.

+1
    John, that post was to make a point between state and fed. regulations. I was always told, PWC sold new in the US are never made w/navigation lights as it's against USCG policy to navigate at night. I've never been able to find that regulation in print, but I've been told that multiple times. And I know for a fact, that many states explicitly state that it's illegal to operate a PWC between sundown and sunrise.

But you'll note that the above note shows where Delaware says it's ok, provided you have the correct navigation equipment. I'm sure there must be other states that allow it too, but prob. a minority. Of course, I found that info. on the internet, so I suppose it should all be taken w/a grain of salt.

So, the question remains, what is USCG rules/regs regarding nighttime nav. equipment being installed on a ski and who rules in state waters? State or Fed (USCG)?

This isn't likely, but we've been told, FL wildlife/game/fisheries dept. will right you a ticket just for seeing it on your ski... Well what if I was on my ski from Delaware on a snowbird vacation where such equipment appears to be legal...?

I'm just curious about such matters - somebody please educate me...

+1
    Ah got you I know that in most places you can operate at night unless you have lights in Del. Had a freind get lost one time for 3 hours after dark on a strange lake he was pretty scared when he finally found his way back. Almost got run over by a number of 70 mile and hour bass boats.

ive got nav lights on my rig...red/green on front console and white on a pole at rear...i understand that it is a no-no to run at dark but what gets me is that the main goal should be safety and they should be glad that you are able to be seen by others on the water as opposed to having to go to an accident call and possibly retrieve bodys from the water....prime example....i was in the gulf of mexico at the suwannee sound here in florida about 3 weeks ago and i was about 30 miles down the coastline and out of nowhere a really thick fog rolled in with visibility of maybe 50 yards...worried about the outgoing tide stranding me i made a bee line back to the ramp 30 miles away in the fog,hugging shoreline and letting the gps/plotter/fishfinder guide me as i couldnt tell what was what...i had my nav lights on as well as my 55 watt halogen headlight that is mounted on front of the console and cruised at about 20 mph....i wasnt the only one heading back in and i was surprised more than once as other boats appeared out of nowhere without any lights at all......but they sure as hell saw my lightshow....with that being said and if i had gotten a ticket for that...well,lets say he would probably have to write another one after i got through telling him about his law....just cause something is law dont always make it right...would love to hear the man explaining to the judge why i got a ticket for making myself visable...may even put an orange flag on my radios antenna as there are lots of saw grass creeks with lots of tight turns and have seen fellas flying wot through them not knowing whats around the next bend...i will take my chances and hope that the officers discretion is on my side...if not,see ya in court

+1
    Good story old school that really does bring it into consideration about lights on all water craft.

+1
    Agreed - that is a very good example of why nav. lights should be on all marine craft. Thanks for sharing, Oldschool.

yup....not only that...they are great to have if youre tryin to outrun those coon-ass skeeters before it gets totally dark...haaaaaaa...yeah thats definately another scenerio where i would opt for the ticket...haaaaaa

+1
    Oh yeah, I stated that earlier - If I broke down and couldn't get back to the ramp even though it's dark, I'm coming in! It's not the gators and snakes I'm concerned about - it's the blood sucking, winged vermin skeeters.

I'm in Texas and own 3 vessels. One 10 ft jon boat. One 15 ft jon boat equiped with navigation lights and I use it at 4am when duck hunting. Finally my 2003 seadoo gtx supercharged. I'm getting into the pwc scene and plan to fish at night regardless of the law. I'll pay the ticket only after asking the game warden why it makes sense to allow a easily sinkable vessel (10 ft jon boat) equiped with lights to traverse open water but make illegal to operate a vessel that is much more stable in choppy water, safer, and near unsinkable.... This is a prime example of stupid people making stupid laws. Of the gw still insists on writing a ticket I would just plead not guilty and wait to see if he shows in court.

+1
    Ryn.....'

I agree with you and have installed nav lights.

I also have a kayak and can use it more hours of the day than the Ski. Also, this past summeri received a note that SUP's can be out after dark if properly lit (as defined by the Coast Guard).

This pwc rule was obviously made due some jacka!! Kids bu˛zing some old rich powerful people. Easier to make one stupid blanket law than enforce already inplace common sense laws.

Steve.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information