Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: VHF Radio

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboater View Post
    The two brands that professionals typically use are ICOM and Standard Horizon. It would be difficult to find another brand being used on a commercial ship. Either of these brands would last a recreational user for years.

Both of these brands sell floating handheld VHFs --- ICOM has one for about $170 that has a flashing light that starts flashing if it's dropped in the water-- even if it's off.

I have the floating Standard HX290 which runs about $110-115 through Amazon or Cabelas plus Standard has a $20 rebate on it right now--- it has a full 3 year warranty and there is a flat rate repair charge to fix it if should break after that. It's a very high quality unit (full 5 watts) and easy to use. iMHO it's the best handheld VHF for the money on the market.

They also have a higher end floating unit with built in GPS if that's of interest to you.

I got my FCC license back in the early 80s which was required back then to operate a VHF but a license is no longer required in the US----you just gotta remember that it is a federal crime to use a VHF anywhere except when you're actually on the water (meaning no "ship to shore" communications if one unit is on the shore). This is taken very seriously by the Feds and the Coast Guard who have triangulation equipment the use to pinpoint distress calls that they also use to pinpoint land base use. Fines can be very high even for a first offense.

Here's a good summary on VHS usage from West Marine--

http://www.marine-movers.com/VHFRadioUsage.html

But as long as you never use it on land, you'll be fine--A VHF radio is a great safety device and a good way to talk with your riding buddies as well as commercial traffic and, if you're on a river, very helpful when you use a lock to talk with the lockmaster.

Remember if you get one of the high powered FRS "family radios" rather thana VHF, an FCC license is required before you operate them on land or water--- I believe you just have to fill out a form and send it in with some money to get an FRS license but it's more $$ and hassle.
    Great info, thanks. Been thinking about getting one of these for a while. Now that I also have a boat and am taking the wife out, having this would make her feel better if getting stuck or something else happened.

+1
    FYI
    I brought a
    Icom M92D VHF Handheld w/DSC & GPS-Icom M92D VHF Handheld w/DSC & GPS $279.95
    From shopepal.com
    Best price I found by a long way. Keep them in business look them up.
    Not got it yet so will update when I get to use this new toy.

+1
    When I first got mine, I charged the battery overnight then turned it on. I listened to traffic chatter on the Mississippi River for about an hour. I was in my den, but the river is no closer than 8 miles from the house. Rem: You can scan and listen, but useless talk isn't very welcome.

+1
    I have my toy Icom M92D VHF Handheld but going to take a while to learn it. any advice?

+1
    What I did: Read the manual until it was charged and ready to use. Once I got the green light, I scanned the bandwidth to help get familiar w/the "traffic" channels and range.

"Phone a friend": See if you can find another PWCer/VHF friend and test your range and functions via an appropriate channel.

Finally, I found this although I don't know how current the info is:
    http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtBoater
    http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtVhf (This page was last updated 10.19.12)
    http://wireless.fcc.gov/marine/vhfchanl.pdf (Likely the same info as above, but in a simpler format?)

+1
    Excellent write up for the offshore, endurance, or long rider...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kunzman View Post
    For the ultimate in safety you really need one with GPS/DSC and is the highest wattage.
    For a handheld this one gets great reviews on The Hull Truth boating site:
    http://www.marine-electronics-review...zon-hx851.html
    What's great is you can register a buddy's MMSI number and they can yours. If you get a "missed" call from a saved buddy it will log it and you can review it.

Just bought this one but at West Marine:
    http://www.boatersland.com/unimhs-135dsc.html
    They price matched the $184.99 price.

This Uniden MHS135 has DSC/GPS with highest handheld capable wattage and a strobe light!

+1
    Old post but new question. Finally bought the ICOM IC-M92D. I assume I'll need the "Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit" because it has the radio distress feature? I know I have to get the MMSI code but do I need the license also? Navigating the FCC website is confusing and they are closed now. At least I found out I can register both my ski and boat with the same number. I saw the form for mutiple vessels and it's called a fleet form or something.

I never thought of myself as having a "fleet" before.... Some fleet, a jetski and a 16' open bowrider!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information