Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    A smart admits!A wicked excuses!An idiot insists! mitsakosgt's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    Ive run both, BUT i ran my open loop when it first came out..When it first came out there was no thermostat to regulate temps so we used gate valves to do this...there were issues with thermo shock,Gas in oil and wide spread temp swings..NOW with the thermostat that is being used,from what i have read and been told,the open loop isnt as much of an issue as it was in the past.Chris is right though,the Seadoo engine has tight clearances and if you run in cold water temps and bring that cold water into a hot engine you still may experiance some thermo shock to your block and pistons..NOW i can also tell you after taking my engine apart recently i will say the open loop/river water ate up my water jacket some,i had lime scale and crap all in and around the jugs and water pump on the PTO cover...I recently converted back to the closed loop system Via a heat exchanger and i can tell you i can not tell any difference in power running the heat exchanger VS the open loop...I do know that you do want to keep your engine temps around 160-175 degrees though as the ECU recognizes cooler temps and adds/subtracts fuel do to the temp differences.....IMO the closed loop system is the way to go,especially in salt water and colder water temps....But again,this is just me and my findings....

+1 for me.I run a closed loop HE set up for 3 years now without any issues.IMO the HE set up is the way to go.....

+1
    old thread here....but is the only benefit to even going to open loop is extra cooling????..... is there any issue with running closed loop and say 8800 or more RPM , like water pump issues? I ride salt mostly and dont want to go open loop if i start upgrading stuff, hope to get some good answers on this

+1
    ive been running open loop for 2 years already and have noticed a average of 153 degrees with open loop compared to 165 with the closed, i switched over to open loop after i popped a head gasket running a 8900 tune, from what i read and understand the high rpms is to much psi for the coolant system which causes the gasket to pop

+1
    I have been running open loop on my rxpx260 for two years with no issues. I run the Riva 300 water routing with a 160degree thermostat. I’m in Michigan and the water is usually cold and engine runs at 161-165 degrees.

+1
    water psi could never pop a head gasket!
    the most common cause for head gasket failure is detonation
    9800 rpm had to be making good boost and pump gas and big boost is not a good mix
    open loop in fresh water is not like what salt does to your motor, most flush out as much salt as possible
    165 is not hot and 150 is borderline dangerous
    seems like a bigger than oem 300 heat exchanger would be a easy upgrade

+1
    So is the main reason to go open loop is ( high RPM can cause high water pump PSI -- maybe can cause hose to burst ) for some and others do it to cool better, I currently have no cooling issues , but will be doing a 137 wheel soon , and was thinking on trying to target 8800 RPM , I have a 160 t stat now / fizzle cooler , just want to get most out of the wheel upgrade .... and did not clearly know why to go open loop ( which i would like to avoid, ride salt water )

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skidoochris View Post
    water psi could never pop a head gasket!
    the most common cause for head gasket failure is detonation
    9800 rpm had to be making good boost and pump gas and big boost is not a good mix
    open loop in fresh water is not like what salt does to your motor, most flush out as much salt as possible
    165 is not hot and 150 is borderline dangerous
    seems like a bigger than oem 300 heat exchanger would be a easy upgrade
    sorry i mixed up my numbers, temp before open loop was 183 and now around 163, i understand what your saying about the head gasket, but ive read alot on here about when running a 8900 tune the coolant psi can reach almost 30 psi,

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by overboost View Post
    So is the main reason to go open loop is ( high RPM can cause high water pump PSI -- maybe can cause hose to burst ) for some and others do it to cool better, I currently have no cooling issues , but will be doing a 137 wheel soon , and was thinking on trying to target 8800 RPM , I have a 160 t stat now / fizzle cooler , just want to get most out of the wheel upgrade .... and did not clearly know why to go open loop ( which i would like to avoid, ride salt water )
    anyone?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information