Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 121
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NPR Florida
    Posts
    33
    +1
    9
    An update to this thread. I have a Magic Tilt single PWC trailer with the Knott sealed bearing system. for my 2009 SHO. I bought it used in 2011 with 50 hours on it with the trailer. Trailer was actually a 2010. Halfway through the first summer the trailer really started making noise. So I jacked it up and the wheel bearings where shot. I contacted the local Magic Tilt dealer who called Magic Tilt directly for me. he stated the hubs were not rebuildable and stated I need an entire axle assy. I knew this was not true since I had already pulled apart the hub and identified its components. It had a cartridge type automotive bearing. I decided I would do some research.
    The cartridge bearing for MY particular trailer ended up being available at NAPA under PN PB 35. Or PGB PB35.
    See link http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Re...Dp%3d3%26N%3d0

    NAPA has them for $27 each. I had to order new Orings and seals and covers from a Knott dealer in England. That was another $45 or so with shipping. Rebuilding was straight forward. The bearing is held in with a snap ring. The inboard section has a garlock type seal and the outboard section has the end cap with o-ring.

    Once you have the parts it take about 15 minutes to redo each hub with cleaning. I just ordered my second round of bearings.
    Last edited by HybridSS; 10-08-2013 at 12:32 PM.


  2. #22
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    40,932
    +1
    1,939

    Replacement wheel bearings,Magic Tilt single PWC trailer, Knott sealed bearing system

    Quote Originally Posted by HybridSS View Post
    ... The cartridge bearing for MY particular trailer ended up being available at NAPA under PN PB 35. Or PGB PB35.
    See link http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Re...Dp%3d3%26N%3d0

    NAPA has them for $27 each...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1261083.jpg 
Views:	661 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	313419

    Part Number: PGB PB35
    Wheel Bearing I.D. : 34 mm
    Wheel Bearing O.D. : 64 mm
    Wheel Bearing Type : Ball
    Wheel Bearing Width : 37 mm

    Premium Grade Seals And Lifetime Lubrication - Service Free.
    Chrome Infused Rolling Components For Smooth , Quiet, And Long Running Bearings.
    Broad Application Coverage
    Last edited by K447; 09-13-2013 at 02:38 PM. Reason: For future reference

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NPR Florida
    Posts
    33
    +1
    9
    and here is the caps with oring and garlock seal. These come from the UK. I have not been able to source these locally.

    http://www.tauntontrailers.co.uk/kno...56-7-447-p.asp

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NPR Florida
    Posts
    33
    +1
    9
    Lastly...I suspect the failure of this design comes from corrosion and salt deposits on the inboard side of the axle where the black garlock seal is positioned. This seal is the same type of seal that would be on any rotating shaft such as the main crank seals in a car. They do a wonderful job of sealing if the surface is perfectly smooth. I suspect salt deposits and mild corrosion just on the outer portion of the seal face exposed to the salt water gets a bit rough and compromises the sealing capability. And of course its all downhill from there. The outer cap with o-ring likely does not leak.

    A squirt of heavy lube on the inboard seals regularly would probably extend the life of this bearing setup quite a bit.
    When I rebuilt mine I noticed the area of the axle shaft this garlock seal spun on was not perfectly smooth and had pits and deposits. Obviously there is no hope for this seal to work properly in this case. But due to time constraints I slapped it together. I didnt even use caps on the outbd sides. This set of bearings has lasted 1 year and are ready for replacement which I am in the process of gathering parts.

    I will be polishing the axles for the seal to ride on as well as ensuring I re-use all the correct o-rings and caps. May even pack some grease under the cap prior to install. Then I will be lubing the inbd seal after each use with a squirt of heavy lube oil. Hopefully this will extend the life of these bearings.

  5. #25
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    40,932
    +1
    1,939
    Quote Originally Posted by HybridSS View Post
    and here is the caps with oring and garlock seal. These come from the UK. I have not been able to source these locally.

    http://www.tauntontrailers.co.uk/kno...56-7-447-p.asp
    KNOTT 65MM EURO HUB GREASE CAP WITH SEAL 43.5 56 7

    Knott 65mm grease hub cap.

    Fits: Knott Euro axles.

    Knott part numbers

    Hub cap 47151

    O ring 6X0034.001

    Seal 6S0062.001 ( 43.5 ID X 56 OD X 7 )

    SOG seal number: 114486

    Dimensions - overall cap height - 27mm

    This cap is made from galvanized steel which inserts in the hub and it`s embossed with KNOTT twice.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	knott-65mm-euro-hub-grease-cap-with-seal-43.5-56-7-447-p[ekm]300x225[ekm].jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	313449

  6. #26
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    40,932
    +1
    1,939
    Quote Originally Posted by HybridSS View Post
    Lastly...I suspect the failure of this design comes from corrosion and salt deposits on the inboard side of the axle where the black garlock seal is positioned. This seal is the same type of seal that would be on any rotating shaft such as the main crank seals in a car. They do a wonderful job of sealing if the surface is perfectly smooth.

    I suspect salt deposits and mild corrosion just on the outer portion of the seal face exposed to the salt water gets a bit rough and compromises the sealing capability. And of course its all downhill from there. The outer cap with o-ring likely does not leak.

    A squirt of heavy lube on the inboard seals regularly would probably extend the life of this bearing setup quite a bit.

    ... Then I will be lubing the inboard seals after each use with a squirt of heavy lube oil. Hopefully this will extend the life of these bearings.
    This does take away from the long life, low maintenance promise when using these bearings on a watercraft trailer.

    Unfortunate that you cannot trust these seals to protect the bearings.

  7. #27
    JeffSki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Florida 33410
    Posts
    237
    +1
    6
    Very well put HybridSS. I have theSeadoo (karavan) trailer with the Knott system, and while the trailer itself is in excellent condition and rides so well, my bearings are shot. Replacing the bears/seals will be a temp fix, cause the axel surface where the seal rides is pitted pretty bad. It has low mileage (original tires are at 75%), and is always dunked in fresh water after being in salt.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5889.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	345284
    Last edited by K447; 10-28-2014 at 09:04 PM.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis MN
    Posts
    1,026
    +1
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffSki View Post
    Very well put HybridSS. I have theSeadoo (karavan) trailer with the Knott system, and while the trailer itself is in excellent condition and rides so well, my bearings are shot. Replacing the bears/seals will be a temp fix, cause the axel surface where the seal rides is pitted pretty bad. It has low mileage (original tires are at 75%), and is always dunked in fresh water after being in salt.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5889.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	345284
    I have the exact same trailer and I use it only in salt water. I bought it in Aug. 2010 and the first bearing failed in 2012. I bought replacement assemblies from the Sea-Doo dealer. The surface that the seal rides on was also pitted very badly. I used strips of emery cloth to buff the corrosion off but I still have pitting. I just replaced the bearing on the other side last February. I hope this doesn't become a regular requirement.

  9. #29
    JeffSki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Florida 33410
    Posts
    237
    +1
    6
    Anyone know where to buy the just inner seals, in the US?

  10. #30
    JeffSki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Florida 33410
    Posts
    237
    +1
    6
    So yea, I just received my new axel/hub assembly and after installing it on my trailer I noticed one of the inner seals is bad...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12345.jpg 
Views:	516 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	346449

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Trailer Bearing Seals - Where to get 1-3/8 seals for MagicTilt Trailer?
    By ghostinstallations in forum Towing and Trailers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-08-2012, 05:57 PM
  2. Please Help! Aftermarket Hubs On A Karavan trailer
    By holdnon72 in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-19-2007, 07:34 AM
  3. Please Help! Can't remove Large Cotter Pin Karavan Trailer
    By holdnon72 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-18-2007, 09:28 PM
  4. Karavan Trailer Wheel Play? Please Help!
    By holdnon72 in forum Sea Doo Sport Boats
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-17-2007, 05:58 PM
  5. Checking and/or packing a "sealed" bearing.
    By CrazyA in forum Yamaha How To & FAQs
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-01-2006, 07:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •