Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedDemon99 View Post
    Thanks for the diagram, that bearing looks exactly like car wheel bearings which are no maintenance just like the manufacturer told me.
    I'm suprised more trailers don't already have this then. Maybe it's a money issue, probably cheaper to have the standard setup made then this one.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    those bearings are far more expensive then your typical tapered roller bearings used in trailers. Far more expensive. Have a look and see what a Seadoo pump bearing costs..then multiply that by 4..then check the price on a trailer bearing repair kit.

Bearings on standard trailers tend to go because folks tow trailers too fast ( uhh don't tow a trailer with 12 inch wheels at 80mph-fact is out speed limit here is 75..it's 150 miles of straight shot road down to our lake here so plenty of room for failure if you don't squirt the bearings now and then with GOOD grease), don't grease them after every immersion, go overboard on the grease and blow out seals or sand works it's way past the seals.

hot axels typically go right into the water on arrival and that's really tough on seals..if a little water gets in well...you know the rest.

Using these bearings require new tooling..and folks tend not to innovate if there isn't a profit in it.

If there is a bearing problem, you aren't getting one of these babies fixed same day..not that paying second day freight on a replacement axel for a name brand trailer is a bargain either now...

good reason to pay very close attention to your trailer

+1
    I just got the tandem Karavan trailer that separates into single trailers last week. Awesome piece of engineering. Same bearings. Assuming the bearings need no maintenance how about the torsion axle? I have never had one and I understand there are two rubber pieces up in there that dampen the shock of the road. Is there anything to be done to those?

I have the seadoo I catch trailer from Karavan trailers. It uses the Knott waterproof bearings. It's a 2010 trailer and the bearings have already failed. So just FYI they do leak and will go bad. The dealership where it was purchased contacted the trailer manufacturer, and they are shipping out a complete new axle under warranty. So far I have not found any place to purchase an additional set of bearings to have on hand.

+1
    Welcome to GH!

Can you detail the fail mode of the trailer? Three years isn't a real long time, but I assume it's been in salt water quite a few times

I wasn't aware the "I (sometimes ) catch" trailer used those bearings.

Nice you're getting a brandy new axel under warranty..I hear profit flying out the window on that one.

I wonder if by some small chance they are the same size as jetpump bearings.....

Details please, there is a serious lack of operational info on these trailers available to the community.
    Last edited by K447; 04-30-2013 at 01:10 PM.

I had purchased new wheels and tires because I started hearing a new noise and thought it was just a different noise caused by tire wear. When I jacked up the trailer and was installing the new wheels, I spun the tire and there was a grinding type noise. The wheel did not spin smooth. There was a little play in the wheel if you pulled out slightly on it. I took it to a local trailer shop, and they confirmed the bearings were bad. They were unable to locate the replacement bearings and suggested the seadoo dealership. I contacted the dealership, and asked if they could get me replacement bearings for the I catch trailer as they had gone bad. They said they would see if the had them in stock, or where they could get them and then call be back. Mean while I pulled the trailer back to the house. The dealership called me back telling me they had spoken to Karavan the trailer manufacturer, and they were sending the dealership a complete new axle to be installed on the I catch trailer under warranty. I was told it would take about a week to get the axle, which is fine.

If you need me to get more information once I take it in to get replaced, just let me know.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Keywestgator View Post
    ... When I jacked up the trailer and was installing the new wheels, I spun the tire and there was a grinding type noise. The wheel did not spin smooth. There was a little play in the wheel if you pulled out slightly on it. I took it to a local trailer shop, and they confirmed the bearings were bad...

If you need me to get more information once I take it in to get replaced, just let me know.
    Do you launch in salt water?

Do you tow a long distance before launching, then launch shortly after arrival?

What would be interesting is to learn why the bearing failed, and from that perhaps understand how to avoid the problem the next time.

Yes I do use it primarily in salt water. I drive about 10 miles, and do normally launch within a couple minutes of arriving at the ramp.

+1
    sounds to me like a case of contraction contamination, while one would assume such an axel would have a proper venting system on it, the submersion of a warm axel will cause any air in said axel to contract and perhaps pull even a few drops of saltwater past the seals..and that is all it takes to setup a failure.

Say if I was the axel designer, I would somehow want to try to compensate for that effect.

I happen to like the see thru axel bearing lube system that uses a gear oil reservoir made of lexan simply because the lubricant can be checked for contamination with a glance.

Of course it could have been a mechanical defect in the bearing assembly itself, which is what I suspect; since it appears that Karavan wants the complete assembly back, no doubt for fault tracing.

we appreciate your detailed information, at some point if there is some sort of repeated failures, we'll either see a mark II version, or they will simply drop the idea. After all, who misses the grand fun of cleaning and repacking wheel bearings ever season ( or two )

My trailer is a Karavan that i purchased with the ski in 2012. It is a regular leaf spring axle system and the hubs have a little rubber plug that you can pop out and underneath is a grease nipple (bearing buddies?). Every couple of months while it is being used, i pop out the rubber plug and pump in maybe 1 1/2 pumps of marine bearing grease. Never had a trailer with hubs like this and hope it lasts a while. I usually launch about 20 minutes after arriving at the lake.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information