Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rxtscott View Post
    The dealer just replaced the intercooler on my 2011 RXT-X. I didnt have any problems yet but they saw a bunch come in so they did it anyway. Not crazy about the drain they added for it though. weird spot.
    So this was a 'private' dealer action? Was your ski still under warranty?

Anyway I don't see BRP doing a worldwide call for this .....

Only positive thing, mine 2011 RXT-X did now 81 hours on saltwater. IC still ok !!

+1
    This problem is very serious & could be really costly if not detected right away. I'm working on another ski that had an intercooler fail as well. His ski began to run ruff, sputter & hesitate, but he kept riding it in hopes it would clear up. Sometimes that happens with these skis. He even changed the fuel thinking it was bad gas or injector. Ends up bringing it to me & I found out it was the intercooler. Put a new one in and after that it began to blow a bit of blue smoke. He wanted to enjoy the summer with it but also noticed it was burning a fair amount of oil. Now I'm getting into it to find out why. Started with a compression test & one cylinder was 95. Knew something was wrong. Tore the whole engine apart & sure enough 1 piston is toast. Even the connecting rod has a slight bend in it from hydraulicing. He's so lucky it didn't snap. Valves for that cylinder look like crap too. Definitely not too happy that he has to spend 5K to rebuild his motor due to a bad design intercooler!!! Will post later.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    This problem is very serious & could be really costly if not detected right away. I'm working on another ski that had an intercooler fail as well. His ski began to run ruff, sputter & hesitate, but he kept riding it in hopes it would clear up. Sometimes that happens with these skis. He even changed the fuel thinking it was bad gas or injector. Ends up bringing it to me & I found out it was the intercooler. Put a new one in and after that it began to blow a bit of blue smoke. He wanted to enjoy the summer with it but also noticed it was burning a fair amount of oil. Now I'm getting into it to find out why. Started with a compression test & one cylinder was 95. Knew something was wrong. Tore the whole engine apart & sure enough 1 piston is toast. Even the connecting rod has a slight bend in it from hydraulicing. He's so lucky it didn't snap. Valves for that cylinder look like crap too. Definitely not too happy that he has to spend 5K to rebuild his motor due to a bad design intercooler!!! Will post later.
    To advoid this i pull the hose to the throttlebody everytime wen it's on the flushing hose directly after riding!!

But your right that it can cost a lot of money just because the known failure of a stock part.

+1
    Pics of the damage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bore.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	317679   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Head2.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	317680   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Piston.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	317681   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Head1.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	317682  

My 2013 RXTX 260 IC failed at 54 hrs and dumped water into the engine. I've replaced the intercooler and done 4 oil changes so far. I've tried to vacuum and dry out the intake manifold by stuffing a towel in it to absorb water, but it seem like there may still be some water. Is it absolutely necessary for me to remove the intake manifold or can I dry it out by running engine at 3k RPM for a few mins. How much water can the IM possibly hold?

Quote Originally Posted by shwing2345 View Post
    My 2013 RXTX 260 IC failed at 54 hrs and dumped water into the engine. I've replaced the intercooler and done 4 oil changes so far. I've tried to vacuum and dry out the intake manifold by stuffing a towel in it to absorb water, but it seem like there may still be some water. Is it absolutely necessary for me to remove the intake manifold or can I dry it out by running engine at 3k RPM for a few mins. How much water can the IM possibly hold?
    Take out the inlet manifold , it is so easy!

+1
    The manifold has large curved runners that double back. And it has a mesh flame arrestor down the center that’s probably soaked. You’ll never soak the water up with a towel. You need to remove the manifold, and slowly turn it in your hands to dump all the water out. I use compressed air or a leaf blower to clean it up when I remove the flame arrestors

Quote Originally Posted by shwing2345 View Post

If the intercooler is prone to leak, what would happen if we block the water inlet so water doesn't flow through the intercooler? How much horsepower would you lose? Would it perform poorly and cause any damage?

+1
    Your supercharger puts out very very hot air. If the supercharger isn’t cooling it off, that’s going in to the cylinder, and will cause pre-detonation (knock). The cylinders will be so hot the fuel will ignite before it’s supposed to. The ECU will try to protect itself but… good luck. That’s how you blow up pistons

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information