gp1300r throttle and spark question

So there is no spark when the throttle position sensor is plugged in but there is when its unplugged. Also in the pics is that the sensor that cuts the spark if the throttle is not closed all the way? Because it is currently not touching when closed and I can have the throttle open and it will still spark with the TPS unplugged? Any help would be great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_000007.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	278001   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_000004.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	278002  

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by gregss1270 View Post
    So there is no spark when the throttle position sensor is plugged in but there is when its unplugged. Also in the pics is that the sensor that cuts the spark if the throttle is not closed all the way? Because it is currently not touching when closed and I can have the throttle open and it will still spark with the TPS unplugged? Any help would be great.
    That is the stepping motor it should not touch, If you unplug the tps and it starts and does not start when plugged there is 2 things that could cause that. throttle cable is bad and not returning all the way that will kill spark or the tps lever spring is sticking open that will kill spark. That's why it starts when you unplug.

So I took the TPS off and it was stuck I sprayed it with WD40 and it loosened up and was moving freely. I put everything back together and it fired up but smokes like crazy and runs really rich. I thought it was just from the fuel pump running a bunch of times testing for spark so I ran it on the hose for awhile and it won't clear out. Is there a way to adjust the fuel on these? It is stock except for a Riva air filter.

+1
    So I took the TPS off and it was stuck I sprayed it with WD40 and it loosened up and was moving freely. I put everything back together and it fired up but smokes like crazy and runs really rich. I thought it was just from the fuel pump running a bunch of times testing for spark so I ran it on the hose for awhile and it won't clear out. Is there a way to adjust the fuel on these? It is stock except for a Riva air filter.
    you have the tps turned to much it's out of adjustment try to find the old marks were the screws were and put there, Or i had a old post about how to adjust tps sensors a couple years ago if you do a search i think you will be able to find it.

+1
    you have the tps turned to much it's out of adjustment that's why it's dumping so much fuel try to find the old marks were the screws were and put there, Or i had a old post about how to adjust tps sensors a couple years ago if you do a search i think you will be able to find it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    you have the tps turned to much it's out of adjustment that's why it's dumping so much fuel try to find the old marks were the screws were and put there, Or i had a old post about how to adjust tps sensors a couple years ago if you do a search i think you will be able to find it.
    Hi, I am waking up an old post trying to figure out an issue with a '05 gp1300r I am working on. Came to me and would not start. Compression was below 90 in all holes. So I tore the engine down. Checked ring gap, all 3 were out of spec. I rebuilt the engine and ring gap is now .019-.020". Had the injectors flow tested and cleaned. Reeds are good. Has spark and 120-125psi each hole, the injectors are spraying fuel when cranking. Now that the engine is back together, I can crank and crank on it and all it will do is smoke. If i give it any throttle it will back fire through the exhaust. One back fire was so loud it made my ears ring and blew the water box off the pipe and destroyed the plastic resonator. No difference if I unhook the Riva controller. Mods I have found, Riva controller(5516), riva flame arrestor, D plate, diode stuck in the back of the cat sensor plug, carbon reeds, 2 of the 3 cylinders have had some minor porting to the up draft on the under side of the cylinders. I do not think the head has been milled, as the compression is not high enough. Last night I pumped 10 gallons of gas out of it hoping that is the issue, gas had been in it since last summer. I hope to find out tonight if that fixes it.

Before bringing it to me the guy took it to a dealer where they told him it needed a new throttle body assembly. Codes were: tps, batt voltage, engine temp sensor, stepping motor, and pulsor coil.

The way it acts is as if the timing is off. So before I got tearing the exhaust back off and pulling the front cover and flywheel to check that, I want to see if there is anything else I can check first.

Owner said it ran great at the lake. Tied up to a boat for a while, went to go ride some more and it would not start. Just crank and crank.

Thanks for any help.

Thread Information