Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I guess I should have mentioned I have a 2005 15F. I will check the part numbers today, hadn't had a chance to look into this since my last inquiry.

I'm new to the forum and I am doing the upgrade to the 2012-2013 specs...What impeller do I need to buy (not OE). The old vane and impeller are fused together and haven't been able to be separated (still running but were salt water skis) but I am being preventative and know that it is just a matter of time that the bearings will need service. Stock pitch on the 15f is 13/19 to my understanding but the solas website recommends 13/19 for the 12f and 14/21 for the 15f so I am confused here. Honestly I don't know what "pitch" is...My ski is stock and I opt for maneuverability and top end over bottom end. I will be riding mostly on inland lakes in Northern Michigan...Any help here is extremely appreciated.

I have all my parts together to do this upgrade to my ski, and I was getting my bearings and shaft to take to work to use the press. The bearing slip right on the shaft completely. Both front bearings and the rear bearing. I always thought the bearings were pressed on the shaft? Is that not the case. I even double checked the bearings part numbers and the shaft to make sure I received the correct ones.

The shaft is a different part number than what was ordered, I have #13107-0765. I Googled it and its supposedly supercedes part number #13107-0739. Can anyone verify if these are the same?

Now the bearings also do not go into the pump housing, do these need to be pressed into the housing? I haven't tried the tail cone yet as its still on the ski.

Please advise

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kawa900stx View Post
    I have all my parts together to do this upgrade to my ski, and I was getting my bearings and shaft to take to work to use the press. The bearing slip right on the shaft completely. Both front bearings and the rear bearing. I always thought the bearings were pressed on the shaft? Is that not the case. I even double checked the bearings part numbers and the shaft to make sure I received the correct ones.

The shaft is a different part number than what was ordered, I have #13107-0765. I Googled it and its supposedly supercedes part number #13107-0739. Can anyone verify if these are the same?

Now the bearings also do not go into the pump housing, do these need to be pressed into the housing? I haven't tried the tail cone yet as its still on the ski.

Please advise
    You have it right...shaft part number was superseded...bearings slip on the shaft but have to be pressed into the housing. The tail cone one may not need pressing, it may just slip in. If it does, don't worry, that is normal.
    It's a really good upgrade!

+1
    Doing the pump upgrade is a smart thing to do. You want to do it before your old pump goes completely out though as they have been known to shove the crankshaft forward causing oil flow failure to the bearings.

If you're going to leave it stock then the 13/19 is what you want to do. The stock OEM 13/19 was a good one as an all-around choice.

Only when you're looking to get that last 100 or 200 RPM's out of an engine for that extra 1 to 2 mph on top end do you need to be so concerned about whether you have a 13/19 or 14/21 or pitched somewhere in between.

Call Impros and talk to them. http://impros.com/store/index.php/te...atercraft.html

Thanks Texas!. I talked to my nephew who has an Ultra 300X and he mentioned the same thing, although I remember taking his shaft to work and pressing his bearings on. He mentioned freezing the bearings and putting the pump in an oven to warm, and they slipped right in the housing? I don't know, I would think putting the bearings in the freezer could introduce water.

Is there a right way to install the bearings, meaning is there a front and a back?

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kawa900stx View Post
    Thanks Texas!. I talked to my nephew who has an Ultra 300X and he mentioned the same thing, although I remember taking his shaft to work and pressing his bearings on. He mentioned freezing the bearings and putting the pump in an oven to warm, and they slipped right in the housing? I don't know, I would think putting the bearings in the freezer could introduce water.

Is there a right way to install the bearings, meaning is there a front and a back?
    Nope, no front or back.
    When you mentioned taking them to work, I didn't bother with the way your nephew said to do it. He is right and that's the way I do it. I don't need an oven though, I live in south Texas. LOL Put the housing out in the sun here and it will get too hot to handle right quick.
    The bearings will not be hurt by putting them in the freezer. Wrap them in Saran wrap to seal off the air and moisture...they're sealed anyway.

Sometimes the bearings don't just drop right in or go all the way in, so be prepared to give them some help. I use a socket of the right size on the outer race to drive the bearing in and seat it.

Ok thanks for answering my questions. I live in NorCal and it gets pretty hot here too (109 last weekend).

+1
    If you have to replace the impeller use a Solas 13/19, same pitch as stock, but less $$, the 14/21 is too much impeller for a stock ski, I have tried it, acceleration suffered & top speed was no better.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information