Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    The seals are designed to work one way. Either to keep water out or keep oil in. Either way its a fatal flaw with a wet pump.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by joemama422 View Post
    I know air can expand, but it can be compressed... most likely by the oil...
    Air contracts due to drop in temperature when you stop riding. So does the oil (in wet pump mod). If the ski is in water, the contraction is even faster because of the surrounding cold water and the pump acts as a heat exchanger.
    Now with both air and oil with decreased volume inside the bearing area, there can be vacuum (or negative pressure) and it can suck in water via seals.
    In summary, expansion blows the seal then contraction sucks in water.

Awesome writeup! my pump went after about 35 hrs use, the bearing spun and tore up the housing, so now IF this happens again I will definitly go with the 2012 pump, Thx

Question: I purchased all the items listed and went to put it all together and found the rear bearing wouldn't fit my cone as my cone is too small for the rear bearing to fit, so If i get the 2012 or the 2003-2006 cone that bearing will have to be pressed into it right??

Hi I have a 2009 15F and my jet pump has given up the ghost and need a new assembly.
    I am interested in installing a 15F 2012 assembly as you have done but can you tell me where I could buy a complete unit or can you tell me what parts I would need to buy and what parts of my existing unit I could still use
    I appreciate your time
    Thanks
    Hans

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    The seals are designed to work one way. Either to keep water out or keep oil in. Either way its a fatal flaw with a wet pump.

Sean

You are 100% correct about the seals designed to work "one way" only, but it doesn't need to be a fatal flaw. On my 250x, I also upgraded to the dual front bearing set-up with wet pump. I reversed the third seal (the inside one that borders against the oil) so that it is "facing" the oil, and after 22 hours of use, I took it apart and was pleased to find that all seals were in perfect condition, with zero water in and zero evidence of any oil getting out. I heavily greased the seals internally during assembly with a good marine-grade grease and used Sea-Doo Jet Pump Synthetic oil inside the pump itself. It has worked perfectly for me so far.

Quote Originally Posted by hbey54 View Post
    Hi I have a 2009 15F and my jet pump has given up the ghost and need a new assembly.
    I am interested in installing a 15F 2012 assembly as you have done but can you tell me where I could buy a complete unit or can you tell me what parts I would need to buy and what parts of my existing unit I could still use
    I appreciate your time
    Thanks
    Hans
    I'd say buy it all from impeller back, shaft housing exactly how what they state in the begining of this thread. I'd only reuse the impeller if its in good condition.

I know this is a similar question just like the one above. I have a 15F and need to replace my pump housing. Thinking about doing this upgrade as well. I have read that different years already have the rear bearing in the cone and not the pump, which I think is my year. But I am unsure if my tail cone is compatible with the design. Can someone please help guide me on what all i need to purchase. The first post detail the bearings, seals and shaft, but still unsure on the rest.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by kawa900stx View Post
    I know this is a similar question just like the one above. I have a 15F and need to replace my pump housing. Thinking about doing this upgrade as well. I have read that different years already have the rear bearing in the cone and not the pump, which I think is my year. But I am unsure if my tail cone is compatible with the design. Can someone please help guide me on what all i need to purchase. The first post detail the bearings, seals and shaft, but still unsure on the rest.
    Check the part numbers for your year and the 2012 on bike bandit.com or the green hulk store.

Sean

+1
    You can update the first post about the cone of the pump.
    If you have a 2008 pump you need to change it because the bearing will not fit in it.

be sure to check all parts numbers...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information