Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    +1
    Just thought i'd add my 2c, as a young aircraft engineering apprentice i was taught that any lubricant used when torqueing fastners increases the torque by about 33%, thats why on some components/parts in the manuals they specify lube torque or dry torque. Don't get me wrong i still use anti-seize but i always keep it in the back of my mind to use a lower torque seting when doing so.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsprint View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jhill19 View Post
    those fords also has had plugs blow out of the head countless times but to answer your question I use a very very very little bit of anti seize not much at all
    That was due to two causes, not enough threads in head and over torquing due to anti seize. If the threads are slippery, they will stretch more before gauge goes "click".

This will lead to stripped threads or broken plugs...hence fords prior problems and NJKs warnings.

I'll be doing mine dry.
    Ford really "Fucked" this one up. Most Romeo PI heads are 8 thread and almost all Windsor PI Heads "Ran in trucks, ect" are 5 Thread. 8 Thread Windsors are pretty rare and I do not believe I have ever came across one. We have probably 15 sets of Windsors and all have to be timeserted and welded. With that said I always use Anti-seize all all plugs. The problem is that most people torque plugs as if they were head studs on a diesel!

+1
    I use nickel base saltwater anti-seize and just torque the plugs enough to crush the gasket.

Quote Originally Posted by Chupacobra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jhill19 View Post
    those fords also has had plugs blow out of the head countless times but to answer your question I use a very very very little bit of anti seize not much at all
    That was due to two causes, not enough threads in head and over torquing due to anti seize. If the threads are slippery, they will stretch more before gauge goes "click".

This will lead to stripped threads or broken plugs...hence fords prior problems and NJKs warnings.

I'll be doing mine dry.
    Ford really "Fucked" this one up. Most Romeo PI heads are 8 thread and almost all Windsor PI Heads "Ran in trucks, ect" are 5 Thread. 8 Thread Windsors are pretty rare and I do not believe I have ever came across one. We have probably 15 sets of Windsors and all have to be timeserted and welded. With that said I always use Anti-seize all all plugs. The problem is that most people torque plugs as if they were head studs on a diesel!
    I have an 01 Lightning with the shitty heads and am very careful when torquing the plugs. However I always have used Anti-Seize on all plugs on my vehicles and watercraft. I'm just careful as mentioned before to not over-torque them. Knock on wood I haven't had an issue with any of my plugs yet.

Tman

I think most here have all said the same... I use anti-seize on everything from lugnuts to sparkplugs and as long you don't overtighten them, you should't have a problem. Especially in salt-water applications, a seized spark plug that breaks off when you try to change them is not a gamble I'm willing to take!

Quote Originally Posted by Chupacobra View Post

Agreed. Use a torque wrench to the specified torque (14-17 ft-lbs if i remember correctly) and you won't have a problem. I usually use anti-sieze on all my plugs, however if there is enough left on the head threads then I won't bother.

+1
    The best thing to do is always use anti-seize, always use a new gasket, and tighten to the specified degrees of rotation after seating the gasket. This way, you know you are getting the required thread stretch.

The best anti-seize is made by The BG Service Company. It's call Mica Lube. It's used in very hot running industrial engines. I used to work for the largest distributor of industrial spark plugs in the world and we sold Champion, BG, Stitt, and Altronic plugs.

By the way, I ALWAYS use anti-seize when I change the plugs on my Ferrari (and my Lamborghini as well).

Touche. I don't know many Ferrari owners who change their own plugs.
    Now you know one more.

I have seen what happens when plugs weld themselves to $8000+ race heads. It sure puts a damper on the day! I use the copper anti seize on all spark plugs. I use the stick. One thin stripe down the threads and you're good to go. I also basically just palm the ratchet when I tighten them so I know I'm not over tightening. Many of the vehicles I build don't leave room to get a torque wrench in there.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lct-37616/overview/

All about the copper stuff. Never fails

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information