Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jhill19 View Post
    Ya think lol, just clarifying not my dock
    It's ok.... You can tell the truth here.... We won't laugh....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MSRXP View Post
    It's ok.... You can tell the truth here.... We won't laugh....
    I live 180 miles away from that place lol, nice houses on that lake tho. Cheat lake wv

Ok here is a sketch of what I am thinking for buidling a two ski floating dock with ability to walk around and when attaching 4x4 posts you can put a roof over the skis to allow shade and protection from the elements. Let me know what you all think.

Using the You tube video see link: ( ). You get the idea on what is need to make the dock last and with the sketch you should be able to complete this. I will hopefully be making one of these in the near future.Two Ski floating Dock Sketch.pdf

+1
    Skis over water always leads to problems in my experience. Granted i speak from salt water experience. But i would think even over fresh water all the moisture in the air that close to the water would cause issues over the long run. Would be ok for short term storage during the busiest time of the year. But not a good idea for long durations. Just my pennys worth.

I never understood the idea of spending 7-15k on a ski and not getting a real trailer...now people transferred that notion to their floating docks... or the lack thereof...

There are about 10000 different floating docks ive seen people make over the years, and everyone of them looks ghetto as hell. No matter how you paint them or dress them up. Ive come up with several aesthetically pleasing docsk over the years for my rental, but even then, It really detracts from the view, and people will start to know you as 'those people with the ugly jet ski docks" okay that's a little much...unless you are are people in post 8...then surely youll have that title for life hahaha.

Get real docks and you will always have real docks. When it comes times to sell, they keep their value unlike most other things in this industry. Grand parents LOVE items that retain value, show them the used prices of docks as a guide.. Install proper docks once and youll never have to worry about them again.

Back in the day before there were even companies making these fancy floating docks for jet skis and when 2 strokes were the norm, rental companies made flat floating docks that had a slight angle to them and had green carpet on it, the skis laid on their side till they slipped the ski in the water. And then had the customer board them. In essence they were just a flat floating platform built on a slight angle towards the water and they worked well, especially for fleets of skis. They had this at a resort, and since their marina docks were wood already, they just used the same material and it flowed well....I wish i had photo, ill have to dig deep in the archives for those.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by kwtony View Post

Back in the day before there were even companies making these fancy floating docks for jet skis and when 2 strokes were the norm, rental companies made flat floating docks that had a slight angle to them and had green carpet on it, the skis laid on their side till they slipped the ski in the water. And then had the customer board them. In essence they were just a flat floating platform built on a slight angle towards the water and they worked well, especially for fleets of skis. They had this at a resort, and since their marina docks were wood already, they just used the same material and it flowed well...
    Do you think this method would still work well with the larger, heavier watercraft that are now the norm?

Quote Originally Posted by greenbrg View Post
    Ok here is a sketch of what I am thinking for buidling a two ski floating dock with ability to walk around and when attaching 4x4 posts you can put a roof over the skis to allow shade and protection from the elements. Let me know what you all think.

Using the You tube video see link: ( ). You get the idea on what is need to make the dock last and with the sketch you should be able to complete this. I will hopefully be making one of these in the near future.Two Ski floating Dock Sketch.pdf

Did you ever build the floating ski lift? I'm curious as to how it worked. I'm printing out your PDF and don't see how you are getting the back of the lift to drop into the water? I have a static dock that has at highest 3 ft of water and lowest BEACH. I'm trying to do so when I have water my skis can be easier to access. I'm wanting to attach it to my static dock and allow it to go up and down with the water level. I just don't see the decline here. Anything else you can help with I'm all ears!!!

Rmoran,

I am working on the same project now. I'm in the keys. Have a ramp area but the incline up out of the water is too drastic. I built a ramp with 2x10s but it is at such an angle that I have to hand winch it up in exhausting fashion. After it has been out in the sun and heat this summer with my EX on it I see that it will not last for much longer. I'm searching the net now for an existing beat up floating dock I can show some love.
    I'd rather spend more time riding and fishing than having another project. I too dont see how this style of floating dock gets modified to jetski without 1. looking super ratchet or 2. requiring serious carpentry time and skills

+1
    [QUOTE=kwtony;2469044]I never understood the idea of spending 7-15k on a ski and not getting a real trailer...now people transferred that notion to their floating docks... or the lack thereof... [QUOTE]

^^^This^^^ “Buy once, cry ... once”

Seeing and hearing no end of horror stories about hulls cracked or with holes worn through them over the course of time from constant (even “minor”) wave action or current turbulence, part of our BUDGETING for every ski we purchase is a HydroPort Extreme that keeps the craft and hull up on polymer wheels.

Fact is, budgeting $ for a proven port design comes right after budgeting for insurance and before budgeting for anything else.

I see a lot of thought , creativity and just plain coon *ss ingenuity go into “diy” ski port design but, unfortunately it appears a lot of “tongue-tween-the-teeth engineering” fails to take into account the abuse that hulls are subjected to, due to “wave” action (wind current, other craft making waves on the lake, etc.

I wish anyone DIY’ing it nothing but success and I’m always open-minded (who knows, one of y’all may actually come up with a working long-term “big picture” design that even a non-gear-head like me could construct but, til that time;

... Considering the port is where the ski is going to sit 24/7 for the 7+ month riding season, after spending $12K on a ‘18 VXR, dropping another $2,500 on purchase, DELIVERY AND INSTALL of the HP Extreme attached to our fresh water dock was, for us, a no-brainer.

”Buy once, cry once.”

I saw but a plastic drive on pwc dock it’s cheaper and easier

Honestly I say it’s cheaper and less work to buy a plastic drive on pwc dock . If u can find one used that is not too old . If not I do sell them and great feedback on the jet ski floats. You can buy at http://Www.carolinafloats.com can ship nation wide

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information