Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32
  1. #21
    MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee WI
    Posts
    17,640
    +1
    1,545
    Doesnt matter what the ski is worth if you dont plan to sell it. These are not investments dont treat them as such. They are toys. If you dont want to take the time to rebuild it yourself then buy a reman engine. New with a warranty. I dont trust used engines or cranks.

  2. #22
    MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee WI
    Posts
    17,640
    +1
    1,545
    If you plan to sell the ski then dumping a lot of money in it makes no sense

  3. #23
    Driver4r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    103
    reviving an old thread,

    Going to swap in a 1200 out of an 02 genesis.

    fill me in on some info:
    The genesis is a Gen III stator right? so then I would need only the cdi.
    Or do I get a stator for the 1050. I cant drop 600 for the update kit, too many projects in the fire.

    My understanding of the swap:
    Swap the heads
    Jet up the 1050 carbs
    Swap the 1200 impellor in

    Missing anything?

    Also trying to figure out crank triggers, Does the 1200 have 3 or 6? Trying to decide if I want to FI my 1050 or car the 1200..
    Last edited by Driver4r; 05-31-2018 at 08:52 PM.

  4. #24
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    41,107
    +1
    1,977
    Quote Originally Posted by Driver4r View Post
    reviving an old thread,

    Going to swap in a 1200 out of an 02 genesis.

    fill me in on some info:
    The genesis is a Gen III stator right? so then I would need only the cdi.
    Or do I get a stator for the 1050. I cant drop 600 for the update kit, too many projects in the fire.

    My understanding of the swap:
    Swap the heads
    Jet up the 1050 carbs
    Swap the 1200 impellor in

    Missing anything?

    Also trying to figure out crank triggers, Does the 1200 have 3 or 6? Trying to decide if I want to FI my 1050 or car the 1200..
    Is the Genesis a Ficht fuel injected engine? If yes, does it have the pulse ports on the side to power carburetor fuel pumps? Some Ficht engines did, some did not.

    1200 red cylinders need 1200 red heads, IIRC

    Ficht stator is different from carb stator. All 1200 red carb engines used Gen III stators and CDI.

    1050 Upgrade Kit stator is also Gen III.

    1999 1050 stator has the U shaped cable grommet, same as all 1200 engines.
    All other 1996-1999 original and update kit red engine stators used a round grommet.

    Not sure what you are asking about triggers. There is no Ficht EMM that would work well with a 1050 engine.

  5. #25
    Driver4r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Is the Genesis a Ficht fuel injected engine? If yes, does it have the pulse ports on the side to power carburetor fuel pumps? Some Ficht engines did, some did not.

    1200 red cylinders need 1200 red heads, IIRC

    Ficht stator is different from carb stator. All 1200 red carb engines used Gen III stators and CDI.

    1050 Upgrade Kit stator is also Gen III.

    1999 1050 stator has the U shaped cable grommet, same as all 1200 engines.
    All other 1996-1999 original and update kit red engine stators used a round grommet.

    Not sure what you are asking about triggers. There is no Ficht EMM that would work well with a 1050 engine.
    I build performance vehicles for a job. Was looking into aftermarket efi controllers to possibly keep it FI, weather it was in the genesis hull or my 1050 hull.

    Not sure if it has a pulse port or not.

    So for the swap IF it has a pulse port I need

    1200 heads
    1050stator
    1050stator covers

  6. #26
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    41,107
    +1
    1,977
    Quote Originally Posted by Driver4r View Post
    I build performance vehicles for a job. Was looking into aftermarket efi controllers to possibly keep it FI, weather it was in the genesis hull or my 1050 hull.

    Not sure if it has a pulse port or not.

    So for the swap IF it has a pulse port I need

    1200 heads
    1050stator
    1050stator covers
    1200 and 900/1050 Gen III stator are the same, on,y difference is the cable grommet shape.

    I think the Ficht stator housing and front cover are the same fit as for the carb engine.

    Pulse ports (there would be two, on the front and rear cylinders) can be added if they are not present. Some work involved to drill and tap the holes, and make sure no metal debris gets inside the engine.

    The Ficht fuel injection system is completely different from automotive fuel injection. Each Ficht ‘fuel injector’ on top of the engine is essentially an electrically powered high pressure fuel pump (couple hundred PSI) with an integral poppet injector nozzle. Runs on 45 volts

    The carb engines have little mechanical (pulse powered diaphragm) fuel pumps as part of the carbs.

    The Ficht system has an electric fuel pump inside the fuel tank. That big pump will not fit into the 1050 fuel tank.

  7. #27
    Driver4r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    1200 and 900/1050 Gen III stator are the same, on,y difference is the cable grommet shape.

    I think the Ficht stator housing and front cover are the same fit as for the carb engine.

    Pulse ports (there would be two, on the front and rear cylinders) can be added if they are not present. Some work involved to drill and tap the holes, and make sure no metal debris gets inside the engine.

    The Ficht fuel injection system is completely different from automotive fuel injection. Each Ficht ‘fuel injector’ on top of the engine is essentially an electrically powered high pressure fuel pump (couple hundred PSI) with an integral poppet injector nozzle. Runs on 45 volts

    The carb engines have little mechanical (pulse powered diaphragm) fuel pumps as part of the carbs.

    The Ficht system has an electric fuel pump inside the fuel tank. That big pump will not fit into the 1050 fuel tank.
    As for the 45 volts, you could rely on voltage soaking/spiking to an inner coil multiplying the 12v. Not sure what kind of voltage the stator is putting out.

    The fuel pump would be an easy retrofit using a delphi pump.

    Automotive DI can run upwards of 1k psi. And if we go diesel you can run rail pump pressure upwards of 3k for troubleshooting.

    I see this ficht's work just like an automotive setup. They use a lift to supply fuel at low pressure, the only difference is there isn't a rail pump to spike pressure, they are a solenoid that compresses it through a small orfice to run up the pressure while atomizing the mixture

  8. #28
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    41,107
    +1
    1,977
    Quote Originally Posted by Driver4r View Post
    As for the 45 volts, you could rely on voltage soaking/spiking to an inner coil multiplying the 12v. Not sure what kind of voltage the stator is putting out.

    The fuel pump would be an easy retrofit using a delphi pump.
    If you want to run the Ficht fuel injectors on the 1200 engine, just use the Ficht EMM and stator system that is designed to drive them.

  9. #29
    Driver4r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    If you want to run the Ficht fuel injectors on the 1200 engine, just use the Ficht EMM and stator system that is designed to drive them.
    What make the emm so unreliable though? I read alot of people say it's the water jacket gets plugged so it doesn't cool


  10. #30
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    41,107
    +1
    1,977
    Quote Originally Posted by Driver4r View Post
    What make the emm so unreliable though? I read alot of people say it's the water jacket gets plugged so it doesn't cool
    There is no probem with the EMM water jacket. In fact it is a straight through tube from one side to the other. You can see right through it.

    Sometimes the water feed from the engine would be flow restricted (kinked hose or plugged brass elbow) and that would not be good for the EMM.

    There are a few common failure modes with the Ficht EMM. They are repairable and once repaired they tend to run just fine.

    Up to you whether you convert the Ficht engine to carburetor or keep the Ficht system with the engine.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. No spark on a 1997 Polaris 1050 SLTX
    By iowafan66 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-29-2009, 12:04 PM
  2. Polaris 1050 SLTX Pre mixing
    By kbsuffolk757 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-07-2009, 11:58 AM
  3. 1997 Jet Ski Polaris SL 1050 specs
    By hokies222 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-23-2008, 12:23 AM
  4. piston rings on a sltx 1997 1050 motor
    By grifter in forum Polaris How To & FAQs
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-01-2008, 11:54 AM
  5. 1998 Polaris 1050 SLTX - Blown Motor - $700
    By ZMANN in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-17-2007, 10:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •