Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    So you just use an extra front seal with the flange in place of a snap ring? Sounds simple enough

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    So you just use an extra front seal with the flange in place of a snap ring? Sounds simple enough
    i still used the snap rings you reverse the seal i think ,i'll look at one this weekend and let you know

+1
    The problem is your crank is to wide as mention by Artie. DO NOT trim your fingers off your seal! They are there for a reason. See if they will send you another crank!

You can use either the single seal in the rear with the snap rings on either side of the seal as it was from the factory or you can use the two ribbed seals in the back with no snap ring. In either case you always use the front snap ring.

Think about this guys......................you know the answer...................If you used the single seal like it came with from the factory it would still be too wide. Meaning put a snap ring on either end(mag side and inner PTO side) and you will see that it will not fit!

If you guys would like I can take a video of this? If Art will so graciously let me video his bottom end!

Jay

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    how many 700 crankshafts have they built?????didn't anybody from sbt ask you what 700 you were putting the crank in??is this the original motor??so if the novice just took sbt at their advice and it blew the seals out would they pay for all the labor to disassemble and reassemble this motor and any damage it incurred because of it??i doubt it.these are the stories that guarantee i won't let them touch my stuff.experts in this field show know EXACTLY what to do in this case.makes you wonder how many of the complete motors have some kind of issue with exactly this issue an somebody just said "oh don't worry about it,just trim up the seals and keep building".

+1
    I know i used 2 in the back and both snap rings with Randy's trick this was how most of the Polaris domestic race motors where put together back in the day i just cant't remember for sure how i did it

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    The crank is too wide????? Is that an error by the person who built the crank?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    The crank is too wide????? Is that an error by the person who built the crank?
    yep

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2&4strokepolaristech View Post
    If you guys would like I can take a video of this? If Art will so graciously let me video his bottom end!

Jay
    Please do, as mine also used the single seal, double clip set-up stock but will now be a double seal, no clip set-up. Also, K447 can link it up to the Knowledge Site as this has come up before. Besides all that, we LOVE videos and pictures!!!

+1
    So now Jay and Art are doing theirs like a MSX 140 motor in the rear from what i gather and just using the clip in the front to keep it centered ???

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 785 lugs View Post
    So now Jay and Art are doing theirs like a MSX 140 motor in the rear from what i gather and just using the clip in the front to keep it centered ???
    The MSX 140 engine has a snap ring around the inner mag bearing and the MSX crank case is machined for that snap ring to go into that groove as well as having a snap ring in the front of the mag bearing just like all of the other domestics and it uses a double seal in the back. So NO that is not like the MSX.

It is like the NEWER 1200 engines and has two seals in the rear and the single snap ring up front. I like to use the 2 seals in the back for increased sealing surfaces and a double up effect on the crank seals. The fingers on the seal is what keeps it nice and tight in the case (essentially doing the same thing as a snap ring). Polaris did this on later 1200's only.

You can use whatever style you like the end result is the same. I have seen in salt water the single seal get eaten up leak. So my personal preference is the two seal method. not to mention the two seals are cheaper than the one seal.

Jay

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information