Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    i also have a 2012 rxpx and im going to be putting the crank from a 04 in it what do i have to change?? everything will be 2012 except the crank??

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    well here we are again....I have a perhaps 05 or 06 4tec coming in this weekend to have this problem solved

"somehow" "somebody" appears to have mixed up the parts from two different motors during a rebuild...or who know what

all signs point to the timing being wtfo.

i have a slightly different problem. Is it ill advised to try to pull the pto with the engine still in the ski..or is it a suicide mission.

blunt honesty please. I'd prefer not to pull the engine. Again, I get sucked into these things because the guy has according to him about 7k into this ski and he believes I can save him from his wife for a fair price. and besides, I love a cheeky problem and this one, correct me if I'm wrong is in the top ten mistakes for parts swapping.

my bet is later model crank, early PTO and wheel

Pull the engine, it takes less than an hour, and will save you a lot of swearing.

+1
    this engine was installed by another guy, have no idea what I'm going to find as far as the wiring. I suspect its a cut and splice job too.

but I'll take your opinion under advisement after I have the ski in hand.

I dinged my elbow badly last season and I'm maybe not quite ready to wrestle the engine

appreciate the very early morning response however...

+1
    well I pulled the engine out inbetween a bunch of startup services this week and found some curious bits

the folks that put this together totally screwed getting the encoder wheel on correctly...or did they. It had been incorrectly installed

Couldn't find my crank locking tool, so I should have my new one by tomorrow and a set of new flywheel bolts

the engine coughed now and then, but all the particulars were in order I assumed since these guys didn't use new head or flywheel bolts they could have easily done this.

the block for sure is a 2004, but I'll have to take a good look at everything once I get the crank locked up.

This engine was coming apart anyway, the flywheel bolts had been reused.

the encoder wheel has no part number on it so 10+ years later who knows what's really going on.

I'd like to get this right the first time obviously so if you got something say something!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	420664080.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	432778  

+1
    with the wheel in the assumed correct position the motor coughed a few times and fired right up!.

unfortunately, the head gasket is leaking oil.

that's right folks, you can reuse a head gasket by spraying it with a can of high tack and the bolts?..well the look okay..what could happen?
    I can imagine what the flow will be when the engine is allowed to come up to full temp

This ski is the moneypit of 2018 and it's not even july 4th yet

it's got all new mats and upholstery, so much money spent on this one it's near humorous
    Last edited by nmpeter; 05-07-2018 at 07:28 PM.

can you do the same thing with a 300 crank in an 04 motor would be a 300 motor incognito pull pin rotate counter clock wise 2 bolt holes plus a half tooth.

+1
    Im going to revive this for some additional insight. I seem to be reading that most people here are swapping either 2006 and up crankshafts in to the earlier engines or vice a versa. In my case I have a 2004 or RXP that threw a rod on the memorial day weekend. I have found a great deal on an early 2006 215 engine (complete) i have had zero luck at finding an 04-05 engine at affordable cost. So basically what I will have is one complete 2004 engine (with hole in the side of block) and all of my complete working 2004 rxp electronics (no codes present before failure, all sensors etc are good). I will also have a complete 2006 engine manufactured 02/06. So... differences I take what I need to do is rotate the wheel 120 degrees clockwise on the 06 engine and use the PTO cover with 06 sensor and plug it into my 04 harness and good to go aside from a 7-9 degree static timing difference which the ecu will compensate for? What about all of the other sensors etc? I just want to compile a checklist of what all I need to do before I can drop this engine in.

+1
    If you use the 06 crankshaft and the 06 PTO cover, you shouldn't have to rotate the wheel.

Chester

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread Information