Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Cam timing is not affected at all; it will be right with either crank installed with any year PTO housing. This is because cam timing has no relation to the flywheel bolt hole location. It is fixed off off the gear, and the gear is always at 3 o'clock when #3 is at TDC. (well, it should be, unless the gear slips, like Hydro's...)

It is only ignition timing that is affected by the fact that the bolt holes are not in sync between early and late cranks.

+1
    Yes but the 06+ the CB mark is one tooth up so with 3# at TDC the gear must be pressed on the crank one tooth to the right so the mark is 90deg that would also rotate the cam chain drive gear 1/2 tooth.

Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Yes but the 06+ the CB mark is one tooth up so with 3# at TDC the gear must be pressed on the crank one tooth to the right so the mark is 90deg that would also rotate the cam chain drive gear 1/2 tooth.
    No; with both early and late, the CB mark is at the same location relative to #3 TDC. The CB mark is only one tooth up in relation to the flywheel bolt holes, and the bolt holes have no relation to the cam timing.

Think of it this way; the CB mark, the gear teeth, the sprocket teeth are made exactly the same between early and late. The bolt holes and the locater pin holes are different; about 127 degrees different. The bolt holes only affect one thing, and that is ignition timing.

+1
    Gotcha I though the bolt holes were in the same location.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    No; with both early and late, the CB mark is at the same location relative to #3 TDC. The CB mark is only one tooth up in relation to the flywheel bolt holes, and the bolt holes have no relation to the cam timing.

Think of it this way; the CB mark, the gear teeth, the sprocket teeth are made exactly the same between early and late. The bolt holes and the locater pin holes are different; about 127 degrees different. The bolt holes only affect one thing, and that is ignition timing.

+1
    So can someone sum up which cranks are different.

I was under the asumption that 04 and 05 were the same.

Are 06 and up the same?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skoepp View Post
    So can someone sum up which cranks are different.

I was under the asumption that 04 and 05 were the same.

Are 06 and up the same?
    To my knowledge you are right. R88

Yes; 04-05 are the same, early pin and hole arrangement, and 2006 up are the same, late pin and hole arrangement.

Banned User
    oh jesus... i just put my freakin motor back in last weekend after moving my encoder wheel over 2 bolt holes. she started right up but haven't taking it in the water yet. beerdart, in my thread on my backfiring issue, you posted a picture from the manual that states that the cranks are identical except for the timing pin. this just sucks!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JLewis View Post
    oh jesus... i just put my freakin motor back in last weekend after moving my encoder wheel over 2 bolt holes. she started right up but haven't taking it in the water yet. beerdart, in my thread on my backfiring issue, you posted a picture from the manual that states that the cranks are identical except for the timing pin. this just sucks!!
    I have been told that it does not make any difference as the ECU is looking for a signal from both the crank and cam to know where the engine is at. I have not tested the static timing on my motor yet but this info came from a very good source, Thanks J

R88

The cam signal simply allows the ECU to know which cylinder is which, not timing in general. Keep in mind that the ECU attempts to find optimum advance by pushing the advance until it sees knock. Since putting a 06 crank in an 04-05 engine retards the static timing by about 7 degrees, the question is "does the ECU have enough push to optimize the timing advance?" If the answer is yes, then you wouldn't notice a power decrease at WFO. But you may see reduced power off idle and mid-range....

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information