Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    +1
    Every time I have done this I have always installed new components: floating ring with o rings, c clip, carbon seal, and bellows. The bellows gets hard, brittle, and shrinks over several years causing a poor seal on the carbon ring.

Regarding the resistance you felt, you may have scared the drive shaft or floating ring' rolled an o ring, etc. As others have pointed out, cutting the bellows to remove the old components relieves a lot of pressure, especially since you should replace it anyway.

BTW, any time the drive shaft is out, it is a good time to check the engine to pump alignment.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    It has to be pushed back squared to the shaft. If it's being pushed with uneven pressure to one side it will get stuck. With the leverage style tool it takes a little jiggle sometimes to get her going.
    Ok... So my experience is normal when using the leverage tool

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DooX View Post
    Do they usually slide all the way forward fairly easily?
    Dealt a few times with this and I had to push the shaft forward with 2 hands and after pulled very hard with 2 hands back and eventually it popped out.

Always used the mentioned tool (2 plates with bolt) at the beginning of this thread to expose C-clip and cleaned shaft from any rust and lubricated well with oil / WD40

As for assembling you do need some pressure which you normally also do with that tool. When everything is clean and lubricated it should be no problem as for damaging O-rings.

You guys using the correct driveshaft play 1/4 - 3/8" ?

+1
    I find the lever tool is faster. On some skis there isn't enough room to get a good angle with the oem tool.

If the hat gets hung up trying to remove the clip rotate the hat with 12" knipex while prying with lever.

If the shaft gets hung up coming out the back wrap a rope around the shaft to get a better grip

+1
    Don't forget to put the two rings in the top hat before reassembling did that once got everything back together looked over at the bench and seen the two rings setting there had to take it all apart again

+1
    Hey fellas, i want to thank you ALL for this thread......My arm has been paralyzed since 2007 and i decided to give this maintenance item a go and WOW! its been really easy to say the least, i didnt use any special tools and the ski is a 2008, always ridden in fresh water with the very rare 10 times its been riden in salt......heres my pictures, about to make a greenhulk order and start reinstalling. I will be ordering the 5mm oversized ring hat to throw in my 08' P-x if this is the go to item when in this area......
    You guys think it'll go on just as easy as it came off with the +5mm hat??...?
    i always decide to replace every item i can to new so this helped with dismantling. again, thanks for this thread and others alike!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8957.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	450961  

+1
    Looks like you cut the bellows to remove it, that reduces difficulty by 90%

You can make a simply one time tool from a piece of hardwood flooring. Cut a U shape out of it on one end, this goes over the top hat, and use another small piece of lumber as a pivot/leverage point on the engine. Add a strap to the top side so you can compress everything and have your hand free to install the clip.

+1
    YESSIR, hit the nail on the head! Bellows are cheap and i always like replacing all wear items and doing it rite so to speak. after my accident, it costs more $ to do EVERYTHING in the toy world as i adapt every toy, even my Banshee that has a clutch (finger clutch,finger brake, thumb throttle). I have to think smarter, not harder me.
    Question, im a tad worried about the driveshaft to PTO bearing as it popped out. i did get it back in and seated correctly, should i have to worry about the clamp if its back in or once the driveshaft circlip is back in, thatll keep pressure on the bearing? bearing stays back in like it should now.... as i didnt get around to ordering what i need yet from 4tec

Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    Looks like you cut the bellows to remove it, that reduces difficulty by 90%

You can make a simply one time tool from a piece of hardwood flooring. Cut a U shape out of it on one end, this goes over the top hat, and use another small piece of lumber as a pivot/leverage point on the engine. Add a strap to the top side so you can compress everything and have your hand free to install the clip.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information