Page 53 of 64 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 530 of 633
  1. #521
    Carbonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Posts
    448
    +1
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamaha FZS'er View Post

    What I am having a hard time believing is that, with no component failure or modification, random riders are being ejected from the skis in all sorts of conditions. If it were a design flaw, it would show up in higher numbers--even in testing and be fixed immediately. You simply cannot allow your customers to hurt or kill themselves on your product regularly for obvious reasons. I am no Yamaha cool-aid drinker as I have had a few issues with some of their products in the past ( which they have always responded to) but this particular issue does not sound right to me. My 2 cents only. Sorry for the long posts all.
    It's a problem common enough to bring about these debates among the enthusiasts and it's no coincidence that these issues aren't occurring to those running aftermarket grates. Just because there is no admittance of a problem does not mean one doesn't exist. It's happened more than enough to those of us with these skis but you're not going to see a high number of complaints because the ski itself isn't one of the more common ones on the water and we're not hearing from the ones who don't post on the internet who experienced this. It's a random deal, I don't know why it happens but it most certainly does and it leaves you wondering why it just happened

  2. #522
    DarkCanuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    315
    +1
    17
    Yamaha knows that is why the 2014 has a new grate...now I am not sure if they are all getting them?

  3. #523
    Yamaha FZS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    36
    +1
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkCanuck View Post
    Yamaha knows that is why the 2014 has a new grate...now I am not sure if they are all getting them?
    If putting a rabbits foot on the mirror of your car makes you feel better about your chances of driving it--go right ahead. The people selling rabbits feet have overwhelming evidence regarding its benefits I am sure.

    The 2014 SVHO skis have different hulls,engines, intakes, impellers, exit nozzles etc. The intake grate is one piece of a new "system" and cannot be evaluated on its own as a "fix" to what some believe is a "bucking problem" for the previous generation SHO skis. The newer SHO skis may be slightly different than the earlier models as well. Someone else may know more about this.

    For my part, I will not be changing a stock ski to a non-stock configuration as it gives Yamaha an out if there is really a problem. I have posted on numerous forums, contacted the Manufacturer and 4 local dealerships and have heard from a almost 50 owners old and new by email and phone. I have not found a single bucking SHO ski outside of this forum---FZR, FZS or FZ. It is not a huge sample which i admit freely and i would not trust all the dealers to fess up either---but 2 of them I do.

    Also, if you modify your ski ----and, no one cares how much you think you know about these things----or how well intentioned you believe the modification was----you are on your own as far any "design problem" you think Yamaha handed you. Problems with skis that are not the machine that Yamaha designed, tested, sold and warrantied are "experimental" skis folks. If you were thrown from a stock ski because you believe this machine has something in its design that caused it----get together, collect and share the evidence, and present it in a professional way to the folks at Yamaha via a competent lawyer. (This is a great forum, but NOT the way to have Yamaha address your concerns) I must respectfully throw the bullshit flag on anyone that has been tossed from a $12,000 stock ski AND suffered injuries AND limits their "action" to being a keyboard commando. There are a lot of owners with wives and kids on these things that have both the time and money to pursue any manufacturer of anything that is injuring their friends or family willy-nilly. I have not found a single example of this. Not one.

  4. #524
    Now this is an appropriate speed limit sign. dragon129's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Southern Maryland
    Posts
    101
    HUGE THANKS!!!! This to all the G-hulk members who contributed to this thread. Bought a 09 FZS yesterday. Coming from having two-smoke Polaris's for 10 years, this thing is definitely a rocket ship. Ordered the R&D grate and ppk this morning. Kind of a drag with all the repetitive questions and answers. This really doesn't need to be 53 pages long but I stuck with it. Glad there are riders with such great input. Thanks for looking out.

  5. #525
    Pistonwash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,595
    +1
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamaha FZS'er View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkCanuck View Post
    Yamaha knows that is why the 2014 has a new grate...now I am not sure if they are all getting them?
    If putting a rabbits foot on the mirror of your car makes you feel better about your chances of driving it--go right ahead. The people selling rabbits feet have overwhelming evidence regarding its benefits I am sure.

    The 2014 SVHO skis have different hulls,engines, intakes, impellers, exit nozzles etc. The intake grate is one piece of a new "system" and cannot be evaluated on its own as a "fix" to what some believe is a "bucking problem" for the previous generation SHO skis. The newer SHO skis may be slightly different than the earlier models as well. Someone else may know more about this.

    I do..the reason for the new upgrades on the '14 FZ's is because of this board and others like it. Yamaha listened to it's loyal customer base and changed all the handling aspects and newer power specs because of the customer base asking for them. The rideplate, we put a VX plate on and got faster, Yamaha changed the FZ's to resemble the VX. Asking for more power in the SC and Intercooler, they listened and changed it. We put 160mm impellors and wear rings..voila', Yamaha changed it too for '14. We have been begging for a top-loader type of intake grate...they changed that too. I am sure in your limited research you haven't found the "bucking" problem..too bad, we have because we have thousands of jetskiers to hear feedback from. We have done testing and had others give their personal stories to Yamaha...guess what? The bucking is a problem even for a stock FZR ski. Could be conditional to rider weight or different types of riding styles or water..makes no difference. The pump overstuff's with water and kicks water back out of the intake grate causing the ski to buck or change direction. Add horsepower and the chances go higher..our solution, top-loader intake grate..problem solved even up to 98mph. Sponsons for better turning ability..yup, we did that here too and Factory Yamaha listened, they changed that too.

    For my part, I will not be changing a stock ski to a non-stock configuration as it gives Yamaha an out if there is really a problem. I have posted on numerous forums, contacted the Manufacturer and 4 local dealerships and have heard from a almost 50 owners old and new by email and phone. I have not found a single bucking SHO ski outside of this forum---FZR, FZS or FZ. It is not a huge sample which i admit freely and i would not trust all the dealers to fess up either---but 2 of them I do.

    Again, you have no idea what you are talking about, with your limited knowledge of the owners of actual skis with the problem nor do you have access to what is actually happening because you are new to jetskis and do no research and development of them. Your point is moot, you have not seen nor heard what we have...Yamaha listened to us and finally changed it. Amazing. BTW, you need to change your ski and upgrade to a better intake grate, I suggest an R&D because it works well up to 98pmh. How do I know? I have seen it and ridden it firsthand.

    Also, if you modify your ski ----and, no one cares how much you think you know about these things----or how well intentioned you believe the modification was----you are on your own as far any "design problem" you think Yamaha handed you. Problems with skis that are not the machine that Yamaha designed, tested, sold and warrantied are "experimental" skis folks. If you were thrown from a stock ski because you believe this machine has something in its design that caused it----get together, collect and share the evidence, and present it in a professional way to the folks at Yamaha via a competent lawyer. (This is a great forum, but NOT the way to have Yamaha address your concerns) I must respectfully throw the bullshit flag on anyone that has been tossed from a $12,000 stock ski AND suffered injuries AND limits their "action" to being a keyboard commando. There are a lot of owners with wives and kids on these things that have both the time and money to pursue any manufacturer of anything that is injuring their friends or family willy-nilly. I have not found a single example of this. Not one.
    Again...gobbly gook and non-sense. I think you missed the point of where Yamaha DID change the design BECAUSE of what was happening with the stock intake grates..i.e. bucking problem. You are way out of your league here Poncho, I suggest you sit back and read for a few days, you might actually learn something that we have already found out through actual experience. You've been here 30 days and sound like you know everything there is to know about jetskis..no, not even close. Call b.s.? Right you just got here and don't have a clue about the subject matter...smarty pants, you has it. Read and learn..knowledge is power and you might learn something.


  6. #526
    Yamaha FZS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    36
    +1
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistonwash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamaha FZS'er View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkCanuck View Post
    Yamaha knows that is why the 2014 has a new grate...now I am not sure if they are all getting them?
    If putting a rabbits foot on the mirror of your car makes you feel better about your chances of driving it--go right ahead. The people selling rabbits feet have overwhelming evidence regarding its benefits I am sure.

    The 2014 SVHO skis have different hulls,engines, intakes, impellers, exit nozzles etc. The intake grate is one piece of a new "system" and cannot be evaluated on its own as a "fix" to what some believe is a "bucking problem" for the previous generation SHO skis. The newer SHO skis may be slightly different than the earlier models as well. Someone else may know more about this.

    I do..the reason for the new upgrades on the '14 FZ's is because of this board and others like it. Yamaha listened to it's loyal customer base and changed all the handling aspects and newer power specs because of the customer base asking for them. The rideplate, we put a VX plate on and got faster, Yamaha changed the FZ's to resemble the VX. Asking for more power in the SC and Intercooler, they listened and changed it. We put 160mm impellors and wear rings..voila', Yamaha changed it too for '14. We have been begging for a top-loader type of intake grate...they changed that too. I am sure in your limited research you haven't found the "bucking" problem..too bad, we have because we have thousands of jetskiers to hear feedback from. We have done testing and had others give their personal stories to Yamaha...guess what? The bucking is a problem even for a stock FZR ski. Could be conditional to rider weight or different types of riding styles or water..makes no difference. The pump overstuff's with water and kicks water back out of the intake grate causing the ski to buck or change direction. Add horsepower and the chances go higher..our solution, top-loader intake grate..problem solved even up to 98mph. Sponsons for better turning ability..yup, we did that here too and Factory Yamaha listened, they changed that too.

    For my part, I will not be changing a stock ski to a non-stock configuration as it gives Yamaha an out if there is really a problem. I have posted on numerous forums, contacted the Manufacturer and 4 local dealerships and have heard from a almost 50 owners old and new by email and phone. I have not found a single bucking SHO ski outside of this forum---FZR, FZS or FZ. It is not a huge sample which i admit freely and i would not trust all the dealers to fess up either---but 2 of them I do.

    Again, you have no idea what you are talking about, with your limited knowledge of the owners of actual skis with the problem nor do you have access to what is actually happening because you are new to jetskis and do no research and development of them. Your point is moot, you have not seen nor heard what we have...Yamaha listened to us and finally changed it. Amazing. BTW, you need to change your ski and upgrade to a better intake grate, I suggest an R&D because it works well up to 98pmh. How do I know? I have seen it and ridden it firsthand.

    Also, if you modify your ski ----and, no one cares how much you think you know about these things----or how well intentioned you believe the modification was----you are on your own as far any "design problem" you think Yamaha handed you. Problems with skis that are not the machine that Yamaha designed, tested, sold and warrantied are "experimental" skis folks. If you were thrown from a stock ski because you believe this machine has something in its design that caused it----get together, collect and share the evidence, and present it in a professional way to the folks at Yamaha via a competent lawyer. (This is a great forum, but NOT the way to have Yamaha address your concerns) I must respectfully throw the bullshit flag on anyone that has been tossed from a $12,000 stock ski AND suffered injuries AND limits their "action" to being a keyboard commando. There are a lot of owners with wives and kids on these things that have both the time and money to pursue any manufacturer of anything that is injuring their friends or family willy-nilly. I have not found a single example of this. Not one.
    Again...gobbly gook and non-sense. I think you missed the point of where Yamaha DID change the design BECAUSE of what was happening with the stock intake grates..i.e. bucking problem. You are way out of your league here Poncho, I suggest you sit back and read for a few days, you might actually learn something that we have already found out through actual experience. You've been here 30 days and sound like you know everything there is to know about jetskis..no, not even close. Call b.s.? Right you just got here and don't have a clue about the subject matter...smarty pants, you has it. Read and learn..knowledge is power and you might learn something.
    Thank you for your kind reply. Right up front. I DO NOT know everything about jet skis. I joined the forum not long ago but was not born the day I joined.

    For the record, I have a degree in engineering, over 20 years of manufacturing and R & D experience, and am new to the 4-stroke SC skis--not all skis. I rode the original Kawi all those years ago. I am very familiar with aerodynamics and understand the principles of hydrodynamics as well. I have experience modifying cars, boats, snowmobiles, and aircraft. I joined here this summer for maintenance information on the SC skis as I like to work on all my own equipment. If we are deciding technical issues based on how long we have been members of the forum, how many total posts we have, how many friends we have that repeat the exact same thing as us,how fast your ski goes or how much we can bench press, I will have a good laugh as I am doing currently and be on my way.

    Yamaha changes designs as a result of their experience gained with R & D, racing, the sales and marketing folks and customer feedback. You are correct that they also pay attention to the mod crowd as they take the skis in directions that Yamaha may not have considered. Still, most of their revenue comes from everyday owners......moms and dads and families. I can guarantee you that faced with credible evidence of a design problem that is tossing moms and dads and children onto the water at life threatening speeds--they will not wait 4 or 5 years to make a change.

    I HAVE researched this "problem" and posted on it as well because I have my wife and kids on the FZS regularly. In fact I have talked to dealers, other owners, other engineers, and Yamaha to try to separate fact from internet fiction as I have not raised my kids all these years to see them tossed like rag dolls from an expensive machine that is supposed to be fun. I have invested quite a bit of time in it because it is something that possibly threatens people i care about. I am just trying to share what I have found through my efforts.

    I am not discounting anyone's experience or knowledge. What I can tell you is....I am at 35 hours now on my FZS now with riders of all weights, at all speeds, in all conditions without a problem. I have heard from nearly 50 other owners of stock machines totaling thousands of hours--- 4 dealerships and the manufacturer with the same story. I believe the stock skis are safe and have a fairly large bet in the form of my wife and kids riding on that one.

    Could I be wrong? Absolutely. But I don't think so. If changing your grate makes you sleep better----do it. But not because Yamaha did it for the 2014's---a totally different ski. I'm not changing mine for the reasons stated in my original post. Hope that is OK.

  7. #527
    AWA MEMBER
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Currituck, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    4,980
    +1
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamaha FZS'er View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistonwash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamaha FZS'er View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkCanuck View Post
    Yamaha knows that is why the 2014 has a new grate...now I am not sure if they are all getting them?
    If putting a rabbits foot on the mirror of your car makes you feel better about your chances of driving it--go right ahead. The people selling rabbits feet have overwhelming evidence regarding its benefits I am sure.

    The 2014 SVHO skis have different hulls,engines, intakes, impellers, exit nozzles etc. The intake grate is one piece of a new "system" and cannot be evaluated on its own as a "fix" to what some believe is a "bucking problem" for the previous generation SHO skis. The newer SHO skis may be slightly different than the earlier models as well. Someone else may know more about this.

    I do..the reason for the new upgrades on the '14 FZ's is because of this board and others like it. Yamaha listened to it's loyal customer base and changed all the handling aspects and newer power specs because of the customer base asking for them. The rideplate, we put a VX plate on and got faster, Yamaha changed the FZ's to resemble the VX. Asking for more power in the SC and Intercooler, they listened and changed it. We put 160mm impellors and wear rings..voila', Yamaha changed it too for '14. We have been begging for a top-loader type of intake grate...they changed that too. I am sure in your limited research you haven't found the "bucking" problem..too bad, we have because we have thousands of jetskiers to hear feedback from. We have done testing and had others give their personal stories to Yamaha...guess what? The bucking is a problem even for a stock FZR ski. Could be conditional to rider weight or different types of riding styles or water..makes no difference. The pump overstuff's with water and kicks water back out of the intake grate causing the ski to buck or change direction. Add horsepower and the chances go higher..our solution, top-loader intake grate..problem solved even up to 98mph. Sponsons for better turning ability..yup, we did that here too and Factory Yamaha listened, they changed that too.

    For my part, I will not be changing a stock ski to a non-stock configuration as it gives Yamaha an out if there is really a problem. I have posted on numerous forums, contacted the Manufacturer and 4 local dealerships and have heard from a almost 50 owners old and new by email and phone. I have not found a single bucking SHO ski outside of this forum---FZR, FZS or FZ. It is not a huge sample which i admit freely and i would not trust all the dealers to fess up either---but 2 of them I do.

    Again, you have no idea what you are talking about, with your limited knowledge of the owners of actual skis with the problem nor do you have access to what is actually happening because you are new to jetskis and do no research and development of them. Your point is moot, you have not seen nor heard what we have...Yamaha listened to us and finally changed it. Amazing. BTW, you need to change your ski and upgrade to a better intake grate, I suggest an R&D because it works well up to 98pmh. How do I know? I have seen it and ridden it firsthand.

    Also, if you modify your ski ----and, no one cares how much you think you know about these things----or how well intentioned you believe the modification was----you are on your own as far any "design problem" you think Yamaha handed you. Problems with skis that are not the machine that Yamaha designed, tested, sold and warrantied are "experimental" skis folks. If you were thrown from a stock ski because you believe this machine has something in its design that caused it----get together, collect and share the evidence, and present it in a professional way to the folks at Yamaha via a competent lawyer. (This is a great forum, but NOT the way to have Yamaha address your concerns) I must respectfully throw the bullshit flag on anyone that has been tossed from a $12,000 stock ski AND suffered injuries AND limits their "action" to being a keyboard commando. There are a lot of owners with wives and kids on these things that have both the time and money to pursue any manufacturer of anything that is injuring their friends or family willy-nilly. I have not found a single example of this. Not one.
    Again...gobbly gook and non-sense. I think you missed the point of where Yamaha DID change the design BECAUSE of what was happening with the stock intake grates..i.e. bucking problem. You are way out of your league here Poncho, I suggest you sit back and read for a few days, you might actually learn something that we have already found out through actual experience. You've been here 30 days and sound like you know everything there is to know about jetskis..no, not even close. Call b.s.? Right you just got here and don't have a clue about the subject matter...smarty pants, you has it. Read and learn..knowledge is power and you might learn something.
    Thank you for your kind reply. Right up front. I DO NOT know everything about jet skis. I joined the forum not long ago but was not born the day I joined.

    For the record, I have a degree in engineering, over 20 years of manufacturing and R & D experience, and am new to the 4-stroke SC skis--not all skis. I rode the original Kawi all those years ago. I am very familiar with aerodynamics and understand the principles of hydrodynamics as well. I have experience modifying cars, boats, snowmobiles, and aircraft. I joined here this summer for maintenance information on the SC skis as I like to work on all my own equipment. If we are deciding technical issues based on how long we have been members of the forum, how many total posts we have, how many friends we have that repeat the exact same thing as us,how fast your ski goes or how much we can bench press, I will have a good laugh as I am doing currently and be on my way.

    Yamaha changes designs as a result of their experience gained with R & D, racing, the sales and marketing folks and customer feedback. You are correct that they also pay attention to the mod crowd as they take the skis in directions that Yamaha may not have considered. Still, most of their revenue comes from everyday owners......moms and dads and families. I can guarantee you that faced with credible evidence of a design problem that is tossing moms and dads and children onto the water at life threatening speeds--they will not wait 4 or 5 years to make a change.

    I HAVE researched this "problem" and posted on it as well because I have my wife and kids on the FZS regularly. In fact I have talked to dealers, other owners, other engineers, and Yamaha to try to separate fact from internet fiction as I have not raised my kids all these years to see them tossed like rag dolls from an expensive machine that is supposed to be fun. I have invested quite a bit of time in it because it is something that possibly threatens people i care about. I am just trying to share what I have found through my efforts.

    I am not discounting anyone's experience or knowledge. What I can tell you is....I am at 35 hours now on my FZS now with riders of all weights, at all speeds, in all conditions without a problem. I have heard from nearly 50 other owners of stock machines totaling thousands of hours--- 4 dealerships and the manufacturer with the same story. I believe the stock skis are safe and have a fairly large bet in the form of my wife and kids riding on that one.

    Could I be wrong? Absolutely. But I don't think so. If changing your grate makes you sleep better----do it. But not because Yamaha did it for the 2014's---a totally different ski. I'm not changing mine for the reasons stated in my original post. Hope that is OK.


    you might be fine, but why take a chance with it? My wife and child are everything to me, I would never forgive myself if we went flying and she or him was seriously injured or even my self. I would not run the stock grate at 80, loads and conditions will dictate when the issue may arise.......I hope and pray for you it dose not.

  8. +1 by:


  9. #528
    AWA MEMBER
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Currituck, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    4,980
    +1
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamaha FZS'er View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistonwash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamaha FZS'er View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkCanuck View Post
    Yamaha knows that is why the 2014 has a new grate...now I am not sure if they are all getting them?
    If putting a rabbits foot on the mirror of your car makes you feel better about your chances of driving it--go right ahead. The people selling rabbits feet have overwhelming evidence regarding its benefits I am sure.

    The 2014 SVHO skis have different hulls,engines, intakes, impellers, exit nozzles etc. The intake grate is one piece of a new "system" and cannot be evaluated on its own as a "fix" to what some believe is a "bucking problem" for the previous generation SHO skis. The newer SHO skis may be slightly different than the earlier models as well. Someone else may know more about this.

    I do..the reason for the new upgrades on the '14 FZ's is because of this board and others like it. Yamaha listened to it's loyal customer base and changed all the handling aspects and newer power specs because of the customer base asking for them. The rideplate, we put a VX plate on and got faster, Yamaha changed the FZ's to resemble the VX. Asking for more power in the SC and Intercooler, they listened and changed it. We put 160mm impellors and wear rings..voila', Yamaha changed it too for '14. We have been begging for a top-loader type of intake grate...they changed that too. I am sure in your limited research you haven't found the "bucking" problem..too bad, we have because we have thousands of jetskiers to hear feedback from. We have done testing and had others give their personal stories to Yamaha...guess what? The bucking is a problem even for a stock FZR ski. Could be conditional to rider weight or different types of riding styles or water..makes no difference. The pump overstuff's with water and kicks water back out of the intake grate causing the ski to buck or change direction. Add horsepower and the chances go higher..our solution, top-loader intake grate..problem solved even up to 98mph. Sponsons for better turning ability..yup, we did that here too and Factory Yamaha listened, they changed that too.

    For my part, I will not be changing a stock ski to a non-stock configuration as it gives Yamaha an out if there is really a problem. I have posted on numerous forums, contacted the Manufacturer and 4 local dealerships and have heard from a almost 50 owners old and new by email and phone. I have not found a single bucking SHO ski outside of this forum---FZR, FZS or FZ. It is not a huge sample which i admit freely and i would not trust all the dealers to fess up either---but 2 of them I do.

    Again, you have no idea what you are talking about, with your limited knowledge of the owners of actual skis with the problem nor do you have access to what is actually happening because you are new to jetskis and do no research and development of them. Your point is moot, you have not seen nor heard what we have...Yamaha listened to us and finally changed it. Amazing. BTW, you need to change your ski and upgrade to a better intake grate, I suggest an R&D because it works well up to 98pmh. How do I know? I have seen it and ridden it firsthand.

    Also, if you modify your ski ----and, no one cares how much you think you know about these things----or how well intentioned you believe the modification was----you are on your own as far any "design problem" you think Yamaha handed you. Problems with skis that are not the machine that Yamaha designed, tested, sold and warrantied are "experimental" skis folks. If you were thrown from a stock ski because you believe this machine has something in its design that caused it----get together, collect and share the evidence, and present it in a professional way to the folks at Yamaha via a competent lawyer. (This is a great forum, but NOT the way to have Yamaha address your concerns) I must respectfully throw the bullshit flag on anyone that has been tossed from a $12,000 stock ski AND suffered injuries AND limits their "action" to being a keyboard commando. There are a lot of owners with wives and kids on these things that have both the time and money to pursue any manufacturer of anything that is injuring their friends or family willy-nilly. I have not found a single example of this. Not one.
    Again...gobbly gook and non-sense. I think you missed the point of where Yamaha DID change the design BECAUSE of what was happening with the stock intake grates..i.e. bucking problem. You are way out of your league here Poncho, I suggest you sit back and read for a few days, you might actually learn something that we have already found out through actual experience. You've been here 30 days and sound like you know everything there is to know about jetskis..no, not even close. Call b.s.? Right you just got here and don't have a clue about the subject matter...smarty pants, you has it. Read and learn..knowledge is power and you might learn something.
    Thank you for your kind reply. Right up front. I DO NOT know everything about jet skis. I joined the forum not long ago but was not born the day I joined.

    For the record, I have a degree in engineering, over 20 years of manufacturing and R & D experience, and am new to the 4-stroke SC skis--not all skis. I rode the original Kawi all those years ago. I am very familiar with aerodynamics and understand the principles of hydrodynamics as well. I have experience modifying cars, boats, snowmobiles, and aircraft. I joined here this summer for maintenance information on the SC skis as I like to work on all my own equipment. If we are deciding technical issues based on how long we have been members of the forum, how many total posts we have, how many friends we have that repeat the exact same thing as us,how fast your ski goes or how much we can bench press, I will have a good laugh as I am doing currently and be on my way.

    Yamaha changes designs as a result of their experience gained with R & D, racing, the sales and marketing folks and customer feedback. You are correct that they also pay attention to the mod crowd as they take the skis in directions that Yamaha may not have considered. Still, most of their revenue comes from everyday owners......moms and dads and families. I can guarantee you that faced with credible evidence of a design problem that is tossing moms and dads and children onto the water at life threatening speeds--they will not wait 4 or 5 years to make a change.

    I HAVE researched this "problem" and posted on it as well because I have my wife and kids on the FZS regularly. In fact I have talked to dealers, other owners, other engineers, and Yamaha to try to separate fact from internet fiction as I have not raised my kids all these years to see them tossed like rag dolls from an expensive machine that is supposed to be fun. I have invested quite a bit of time in it because it is something that possibly threatens people i care about. I am just trying to share what I have found through my efforts.

    I am not discounting anyone's experience or knowledge. What I can tell you is....I am at 35 hours now on my FZS now with riders of all weights, at all speeds, in all conditions without a problem. I have heard from nearly 50 other owners of stock machines totaling thousands of hours--- 4 dealerships and the manufacturer with the same story. I believe the stock skis are safe and have a fairly large bet in the form of my wife and kids riding on that one.

    Could I be wrong? Absolutely. But I don't think so. If changing your grate makes you sleep better----do it. But not because Yamaha did it for the 2014's---a totally different ski. I'm not changing mine for the reasons stated in my original post. Hope that is OK.


    Also your off base with the new model ski, as the Hull has NOT changed, only Pump,Intake & ride plate,SC,Intercooler, and internals, ECU mapping

  10. #529
    ok can someone go over this for me, my friend has a 2011 vxr with a solas prop and a 2009 fzs with just some supercharger mods. we ride these skis very often and after seeing all this i'm concerned about the safety.

    I'm a little confused on what the term bucking means, from what i've read it seems like everyone is saying they've been thrown off their ski at high speeds.

    he will be trading in the fzs for a 2014 model when they become available, does the 2014 has the same issue or has the problem been resolved?

    i'm sure this was already stated and i'm sorry for not reading all 53 pages but does the vxr suffer from this also? if so is a r&d grate the solution?

  11. #530
    mun802's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    316
    +1
    17
    VXr doesn't suffer
    2014 won't suffer

Page 53 of 64 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. TBM Racing Fuel Cell Partnership: FZR/FZS/SHO
    By Carlos Thomas in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 02-19-2017, 04:36 PM
  2. FZR/FZS/SHO Cooling system
    By AD4342 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-28-2009, 03:15 AM
  3. F/S Free Flow Exhaust Kit got FZR/FZS/SHO
    By 2fast4u in forum Yamaha Classifieds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-14-2009, 02:24 PM
  4. General Weight FZR / FZS / SHO............
    By night022 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-11-2009, 08:06 PM
  5. PET Tach on fzr/fzs/sho
    By 2fast4u in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-26-2009, 07:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •