Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Triton LT trailer owner here with Sure-Lube with Reliable 08353 axel. Have been taking care and pumping grease every few outings (in salt water) using Yamaha Yamalube ACC-Greas Multi-Purpose. The bearings are making a very bad sound now and assembly in need of repair/replace.
    Bearing Buddies are not compatible with the Sure-Lube system per above comments and I don't mind to replace a hubs if necessary for the long term reliability.
    1. Can anybody advice on what would be the best long term upgrade? I don't want be replacing my bearings/seals every few years as Sure-Lube seems not "reliable" on Reliable axel for my application.
    2. Is Yamaha Multi-Purpose grease (blue color) is ok to use on trailer bearings in salt water use?

Thank you everyone for your time and educated postings here.
    Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 7seasand7 View Post
    Triton LT trailer owner here with Sure-Lube with Reliable 08353 axle.

... pumping grease every few outings (in salt water) using Yamaha Yamalube ACC-Greas Multi-Purpose.

The bearings are making a very bad sound now and assembly in need of repair/replace.

Bearing Buddies are not compatible with the Sure-Lube system per above comments and I don't mind to replace a hubs if necessary for the long term reliability.
    1. Can anybody advice on what would be the best long term upgrade?

I don't want be replacing my bearings/seals every few years ...

2. Is Yamaha Multi-Purpose grease (blue color) is ok to use on trailer bearings in salt water use?

How many years of use did the original bearings provide?

Periodic bearing and seal replacement is to be expected. They are wear items and salt water use is going to eventually degrade the metals, on top of whatever wear is occurring with use.

For the rubber seals on the inboard face of the hub, the smooth surface the lip of the seal rides on can eventually become pitted and not seal well, even with new seals. When that happens the steel sealing surface of the axle needs to be refurbished/sleeved or perhaps replace the entire axle. You may need to inspect the axle hub sealing area to determine if the axle is still usable.

On my previous Triton I was using waterproof marine bearing grease. Waterproof grease is supposed to resist ‘wash out’ when exposed to water and my understanding is that the marine grease is supposed to stick to the metal surfaces even when water is present. That said, any salt water that does seep inside the hub is going to shorten the remaining life of the steel roller bearings, even with a very good grease.

My current Triton has disc brakes and I am using a different grease.

You may prefer the design of the SuperLube Hub.
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post2650476

No weep hole on back of the axle spindle. Fresh grease gets injected from the Zerk fitting on the hub edge. Pushes the old grease out the open outside end of the hub. Then you can install a Bearing Buddy rather than the rubber dust cap. I use the Stainless Steel Bearing Buddies.

When it is time for fresh grease, remove the Bearing Buddy and pump in fresh grease from the rear edge of the SuperLube Hub.

3. +1 by:

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Make sure the little rubber cap on the hub is not damaged or letting water in. I replace those quite often because they seem to crack or dry out. My triton is a 2013 model and I bet I have put somewhere near 40,000 miles on it. I am still running the original bearings.

+1
    The Super Lube Spindle design and the EZ-Lube design are also compatible with Bearing Buddy, IIRC.

Only the Sure-Lube design with the grease exit ‘weep hole’ on the axle spindle back side does not allow the Bearing Buddy to create a positive pressure on the grease inside. *

* For the torsion axle version Sure-Lube with an exposed weep hole, the weep hole could be thread tapped for a brass or stainless steel plug (set screw?). That would allow the bearing buddy to create the necessary mild positive pressure inside the hub.

The trick would be to flush the air out of the weep channel and fill the hub cavity with grease, then install the plug into the weep hole. Anti-seize on the threads seems like a good thing.

Remove the set screw/plug when you want to re-grease the hub and push the old grease out.
    Last edited by K447; 01-21-2021 at 08:48 AM.

6. +1 by:

+1
    I would inspect your axle and see if there is some signs of degradation or pitting where the inner seal rides.

This was the ultimate cause for my bearings to become contaminated after I rebuilt the OEM hubs < 10 months prior.

There is an updated thread illustrating what I just wrote about located here:

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=254793

Good Luck and hope this helps.

Here is the link that will show pics associated with what I discovered with the axle:

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=254793&page=2&p=2792217&viewfull=1#post2792217

8. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 7seasand7 View Post
    Triton LT trailer owner here with Sure-Lube with Reliable 08353 axel. Have been taking care and pumping grease every few outings (in salt water) using Yamaha Yamalube ACC-Greas Multi-Purpose. The bearings are making a very bad sound now and assembly in need of repair/replace.
    1. Can anybody advice on what would be the best long term upgrade? I don't want be replacing my bearings/seals every few years as Sure-Lube seems not "reliable" on Reliable axel for my application.

Thank you everyone for your time and educated postings here.
    Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Please review my previous posts on this thread regarding grease types and Bearing Buddies. Posts #18,25,27.59 will help you a great deal in your situation. You can even use BBs with the EZ lube that uses a weep hole. You remove the zerk and install a plug or set screw and it will build pressure just fine.

+1
    I pulled my shit apart just last weekend - after 4 years of using Bearing Buddies - and I will certainly agree with "Team Bilford". Bearing Buddies ROCK !!!

Absolutely zero signs of water intrusion in the bearing cavities.

I re-packed the bearings and painted the axle and leaf springs and such when everything was all apart and am pleased with the results.

+1
    Google Chrome would not let me post pics.

Had to use IE.
    ===========================================

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0826.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	470757   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0827.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	470758  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooling View Post
    I pulled my shit apart just last weekend - after 4 years of using Bearing Buddies - and I will certainly agree with "Team Bilford". Bearing Buddies ROCK !!!

Absolutely zero signs of water intrusion in the bearing cavities.

I re-packed the bearings and painted the axle and leaf springs and such when everything was all apart and am pleased with the results.
    Glad to help. Bearing Buddies are far superior than letting water in and then pushing it through the entire hub and both bearings in an attempt to remove it. EZ Lube axles just make no sense to me for a boat trailer. Before I sold my 1997 trailer due to the long length of 4 stroke skis, I did not pull my bearing buddies for close to 20 years and the bearings looked brand new.

in 2020, I bought a new WC2 Triton. Before I ever dipped it into the water, I filled and pushed the factory grease out with the EZ Lube and then pulled the zerks and installed Bearing Buddies. One of the inner seals was torn from the hub install at Reliable Axle. It started leaking almost immediately letting me know that I had a problem. This would not have happened without the 3 psi pressure provided by the BBs. I would have had water in those bearings from day 1.

If you don't have grease coming out, you don't have water getting in. BBs are designed to not need repacking, just keep the spring under some pressure and you can go several years without pulling the hubs.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Bilford View Post
    ... pushed the factory grease out with the EZ Lube and then pulled the zerks and installed Bearing Buddies. ...
    For completeness, this is the EZ Lube single type you have on your trailer, correct?

You remove the Zerk fitting to allow the Bearing Buddy to fit properly onto the hub, correct?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread Information