Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    You could call Triton and ask them?
    Or your local Triton dealer?

Triton has used a couple of different axle grease systems over the years. Check which axle manufacture you have.

Quote Originally Posted by J-hook View Post
    I believe the wheel holds the center cap on. So removing the wheel will allow the cap to be removed

Thanks. That honestly never occurred to me that the wheel was holding the cap on. I'd hope they'd design that a little more user friendly...

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    You could call Triton and ask them?
    Or your local Triton dealer?

Triton has used a couple of different axle grease systems over the years. Check which axle manufacture you have.
    Reliable axles on this one. Plenty of guidance about greasing, but nada on getting to the fittings in this configuration. At least none I could easily find. I'll reach out to Triton. They are really supportive.

Thx

+1
    The wheel does hold the center cap on, but the cap should be open ended with a removeable plug if you have an EZ Lube type of hub.

+1
    I am working on my 2012 Triton LT trailer that I bought new. It has the Sure Lube System. The trailer has about 1000 miles on it, but it has been sitting and I decided to replace the tires and wheels. The bearings were real noisy and rough on one side. I pumped grease in the zerk in the cap every time i took the trailer on a trip.

When I removed the hub, I notice rusty grease with my new grease swirled in. The bearings of course are toast. The castle nut has some serious erosion going on. The inside of the Sure lube axle cap is a crusty rusty mess. The spindle, however looks pretty good.

My question is this: Since I have to replace the axle cap anyway, can I use the Super Lube system cap on this axle? I am wondering if the grease will pump into the axle spoil hole before exiting out of the front of the Super Lube cap.

Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SKUDZUKI
    ... 2012 Triton LT trailer that I bought new. It has the Sure Lube System. ...

... I decided to replace the tires and wheels. ...

The inside of the Sure-Lube axle cap is a crusty rusty mess. The spindle, however looks pretty good.

My question is this: Since I have to replace the axle cap anyway, can I use the Super Lube system cap on this axle? I am wondering if the grease will pump into the axle spoil hole before exiting out of the front of the Super Lube cap. ...
    Which Super Lube cap are you thinking of using?

This type with removable rubber grommet?

You have the Sure-Lube axle type, which looks like this, correct?

Sure-Lube

Note: ST trailer tires expire at seven years of age regardless of tread or miles. Your 2012 era tires were due to be replaced. My own preference is to replace trailer tires after the fifth year, regardless of tread or mileage, even if they still ‘look good’. Old trailer tires become fragile and an old tire failure at speed on the highway can be sudden and complete.

+1
    Originally I had the Sure Lube by Reliable. The cap has an exposed zerk in the end.

I want to replace the cap with the system that utilizes the removable rubber cap so I can tell that the grease is "exchanging" instead of exiting into the axle where I can't see.

My question is will the grease exit out of the front of the cap before going into the spoil hole in the axle.

The tires were being changed because they had "aged out".

Thanks for the help.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SKUDZUKI View Post
    Originally I had the Sure Lube by Reliable. The cap has an exposed zerk in the end.

I want to replace the cap with the system that utilizes the removable rubber cap so I can tell that the grease is "exchanging" instead of exiting into the axle where I can't see.

My question is will the grease exit out of the front of the cap before going into the spoil hole in the axle.

Where/how is the new grease being pumped into the hub cavity?

What is the flow path for fresh grease?

Is there a grease zerk on the rear/outer edge of the hub?

+1
    K447,

I actually went to Northern Tool and bought new hubs. I used this kit: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...6887_200466887. There is a zerk in the back of the hub. Everything worked fine. I pushed in new wheel bearing grease until all of the factory installed grease came out the front of the hub at the castle nut.

This system is a little different that the Super lube system, but at least now I can tell when the old grease is out and the new is in.

Thanks for your help

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SKUDZUKI View Post
    K447,

I actually went to Northern Tool and bought new hubs. I used this kit: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...6887_200466887. There is a zerk in the back of the hub. Everything worked fine. I pushed in new wheel bearing grease until all of the factory installed grease came out the front of the hub at the castle nut.

This system is a little different that the Super lube system, but at least now I can tell when the old grease is out and the new is in.

Thanks for your help
    If you want the best setup for a marine trailer, ditch the dust covers and install some Bearing Buddies. They prevent the water from coming in pass the rear seal of the hub. Better to keep the water out than to try to push it all the way through the hub and out the front. You can always take the BB off anytime that you want to repack with new grease. The BB holds about 3 psi on the hub and you will never "need" to repack or push grease again. EZ lube style hubs are fine for utility trailers, but as vastly inferior where the hubs get dunked.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Bilford View Post
    If you want the best setup for a marine trailer ... install some Bearing Buddies.

... take the BB off anytime that you want to repack with new grease. ...

... EZ lube style hubs are ... vastly inferior where the hubs get dunked.
    I do not see a problem with combining Bearing Buddy with EZ-Lube, Super-Lube or traditional ‘manual repacked’ bearing hubs. All these systems have the grease exit path inside the dust cap, so the Bearing Buddy can be installed and pressurize the grease inside the hub.

The only system that seems incompatible with Bearing Buddy is the Sure-Lube system where the moderately pressurized grease just flows out the back side of the axle.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information