Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: low Battery

+1
    I tested my rectifier today and it was better than 13Vdc at idle, when I rev to higher RPM it went to 14+ Vdc and sometimes as high as 17Vdc. Is my rectifier bad?

+1
    just retested it with a better volt meter. I had 12.5 volts at idle and about the same at higher RPM. I'd say bad rectifier?

+1
    check all your fuses first.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

crappy voltmeters cause trouble

you need to be sure of the voltage you are getting. Put it on your car and see what it reads with the motor running.

seeing 17v is a worry..but now it's 12.5..get a benchmark on your meter.

A good digital votmeter runs better then $50..don't trust one of them 1.99 HF meters. It's a great addition to any toolbox.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho rxp View Post
    check all your fuses first.
    Where are these fuses you speak of?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    you need to be sure of the voltage you are getting. Put it on your car and see what it reads with the motor running.

seeing 17v is a worry..but now it's 12.5..get a benchmark on your meter.

A good digital votmeter runs better then $50..don't trust one of them 1.99 HF meters. It's a great addition to any toolbox.
    My first test was with a cheap meter. but I was able to find my craftsman multimeter and retested it and came up with 12..5 Vdc with no variance between idle and revving.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

sorry, not charging

well, now things start to get ugly...you're alternator isn't putting out, or youre regualtor rectifer is kaput.

start by checking a/c voltage at the rec/reg connector if thre is none, trace it back to the connector on the front of the engine and then check there. If it's the satator, it's an unhappy discovery..a bit of a chroe to change, and far from inexpensive. Regulator rectifer is easy to change, but also costly.

check for 12v at the rec/reg connector also, should have 12 across the red/black, withthe engine off the black line should have near zero resisitance to ground.

No doubt somebody around here has a spare then can sell you, or if seadoo soruce is in country, he has that nice kit with the upgrade for a couple of bucks more then stock ( handy of you want to run any accessory on your ski, such as an electric bilge pump)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    well, now things start to get ugly...you're alternator isn't putting out, or youre regualtor rectifer is kaput.

start by checking a/c voltage at the rec/reg connector if thre is none, trace it back to the connector on the front of the engine and then check there. If it's the satator, it's an unhappy discovery..a bit of a chroe to change, and far from inexpensive. Regulator rectifer is easy to change, but also costly.

check for 12v at the rec/reg connector also, should have 12 across the red/black, withthe engine off the black line should have near zero resisitance to ground.

No doubt somebody around here has a spare then can sell you, or if seadoo soruce is in country, he has that nice kit with the upgrade for a couple of bucks more then stock ( handy of you want to run any accessory on your ski, such as an electric bilge pump)
    I borrowed my brothers rectifier off his ski and of course it tested good. I took my ski out and it ran great for an hour. It stalled or shut down in a turn and I could not get it started. I think I cranked so much that the starter relay went bad. All I hear now is a clicking.

I talked to SS yesterday and I'm gonna pick up one of his rectifiers. He also had me rule out the stater. He had me ohms tested across the yellow wires. He said it should not have not more than 2 ohms, The wires tested at .7 ohms.

hey guys im new to the page and woould love to get some help aboutmy skis if you guys can please point me into the right direction i would greatly appreciate it. to be honest i dnt even know how to startva thread so i can ask my questions and hoefully i can get alil help.been stressedout wth these skis. thanks in adbvance

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information