Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    +1
    ID RATHER SPEND #) BUCKS ON A WEAR RING THEN #%) FOR A PROP ANYDAY

+1
    The problem is that it defeats the purpose it was created for. The debris actually gets lodged in the ring and takes out the prop. With the stainless the smaller stuff will go right through. You will take out more props with the plastic ring.

+1
    I agree that if you suck up some major crap, the SS wear ring will damage or kill the prop. But the same thing can happen with a plastic wear ring. I did it on my 02 4 tec with a plastic wear ring. But the SS wear ring will not be damaged by the everyday crap that goes through our pumps.

And for folks like Hulk with highly modified skis, a plastic wear ring won't last 10 hours. So in less than 80 hours of use, his SS wear ring pays for itself (with Hulk's ski, I predict it is more like 50 hours).

For folks who don't do their own repairs, with parts and labor, 3 wear ring replacements pay for a SS wear ring.

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    +1
    I hear through the grapevine that a lot of the darkside guys (1300Rs) are switching to nylon. Whatever. I think i like the idea of the stainless unless i get it and trash my prop. It is funny though to start a ski up with a new nylon wear ring for the first time and see shavings come out. I just shake my head and laugh, yeah i'll be doin that again soon. Regardless i am SUPER F'N carefull about suckin stuff up and being in shallow water. Even with 140 hrs on the stock wear ring i was getting 62.3 mph (remember i have an 03 GTX SC). I'm about 10 minutes from taking it out for a test run with the newly installed nylon wear ring, riva grate, and ride plate holes filled. I need to upgrade my pump from that plastic junk anyway so maybe this winter i'll address the entire pump/wear ring issue.

+1
    Here's my take on it. If you suck up something large enough to damage the prop, you have to replace the plastic wear ring regardless. But chances are, a stainless ring will be okay. It costs less than $100 to have a prop refreshed, and about the same to get a new OE wear ring. Having a plastic wear ring, you essentially double the cost of pump maintenance.

6. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by way2fast View Post
    In my opinion I would stick with the OEM ring. 145 hours is nothing to complain about. If you had the SS ring and your friend did whatever he did to mess up the plastic one, the SS would have also been damaged as well as the prop. Most plastic ring damage is either caused by cavitation or foreigh material going through the pump. Prop or shaft flex will damage both type rings. The SS ring risks prop damage in certain instances where the plastic is more forgiving. If you suck up a rock or gravel, you can kiss either ring "bye bye". It also makes me cringe when I see people driving their skis up onto the beach, running in 6" of water etc.....and then they complain they lost performance !!

Richard
    I disagree.

I sucked up a clam shell that messed up my impeller, it wound up de-pitching the impeller a little when it got stuck between the impeller blades and the pump vanes, it also messed up the leading edge of the impeller. I was only able to do about 72/73 mph after that.
    The stainless steel wear ring was not affected in any way! it was still perfect and when I fixed the prop I was right back up to 76 mph.
    if I had a plastic wear ring I would have been replacing that also.

Stainless steel wear rings won't get damaged like a plastic ring will.. and if you suck something up big enough,you're damaging the prop regardless of plastic or stainless wear ring. only difference is, you'll be replacing more stuff if you have plastic.

+1
    That's my logic exactly. Why replace the wear ring when you have to refurb the prob anyway.

So from my readings, I deduce that the SS lined rings are no good, and I should go for the solid SS ring? I ask because the price difference is about 40% Anyone try the SOLAS rings?

9. +1 by:

+1
    Go with a SOLID ss ring. Jerry convinced me in 06 for both 05`s. Still riding with perfect ss rings to this day. And we suck up tree limbs down here.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZEDRXP View Post
    ID RATHER SPEND #) BUCKS ON A WEAR RING THEN #%) FOR A PROP ANYDAY

if it damaged the wear ring and didn't damage the prop, then with a stainless steel ring it would NOT have done anything to either.
    if you sucked something up big enough, you'd be replacing a prop AND a wear ring.. LOL!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information