Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

New to PWC looking for my first machine!!

Hey guys I am new to PWC and I am looking to buy my first one. I stumbled upon this form and decided to throw this out there to see what you guys think about a ski I am thinking about looking at. Now I haven't had a chance to go check the machine out yet, so any input would be greatly appreciated, on the quality of these machines in general or if someone thinks this this is a good deal or not.

Here are the questions that you have posted earlier..
    Where u from?-----pittsburgh
    what kind of ski------- polaris virage tx
    what year----------2000
    what kind of engine------1200
    how many hours on the meter?-------42
    how long did it sit---unsure
    any new/modified parts on it----unsure
    recent tune-ups or rebuild---unsure
    general history of the ski if you know----unsure
    price 3500
    comes with trailer? yes
    live on water? yea
    did the ski run on saltwater or normal lake water----lake
    compression numbers?---unsure
    does it run? -----should
    Pictures,videos?
    mechanical knowledge-----I have been wrenching on cars for a while but I have never messed with a two stroke before.
    tools-- enough to get most jobs done.

Thanks again!!!!!!!!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by din8453 View Post
    Hey guys I am new to PWC and I am looking to buy my first one. I stumbled upon this forum and decided to throw this out there to see what you guys think about a ski I am thinking about looking at. Now I haven't had a chance to go check the machine out yet, so any input would be greatly appreciated, on the quality of these machines in general or if someone thinks this this is a good deal or not.

Here are the questions that you have posted earlier..
    Where u from?-----pittsburgh
    what kind of ski------- polaris virage tx
    what year----------2000
    what kind of engine------1200
    how many hours on the meter?-------42
    how long did it sit---unsure
    any new/modified parts on it----unsure
    recent tune-ups or rebuild---unsure
    general history of the ski if you know----unsure
    price 3500
    comes with trailer? yes
    live on water? yea
    did the ski run on saltwater or normal lake water----lake
    compression numbers?---unsure
    does it run? -----should
    Pictures,videos?
    mechanical knowledge-----I have been wrenching on cars for a while but I have never messed with a two stroke before.
    tools-- enough to get most jobs done.

Thanks again!!!!!!!!
    Welcome to the Hulk

Price and value all depend on the actual current condition of the machine, and what other buyers in the market may be willing to pay.

Some guys manage to find fixer-uppers for a few hundred dollars, others pay prices in the thousands.

The Virage TX is a modern hull design, fairly fast, yet stable even with two or even three people aboard. All three seater PWC are happier with one or two people riding.

Click my signature links for more info.

Hey thanks for the feed back, I am going to make an appointment to check this machine

out, I have been researching things to look for when checking out a used PWC out. I do

have on question about checking for compression. I have a pressure gauge, but are all

spark plug thread sizes the same or do these engines have a specific thread size.

Thanks again!!!!

+1
    ... I have a pressure gauge, but are all spark plug thread sizes the same or do these engines have a specific thread size...
    I think all Polaris PWC use NGK spark plugs with a 14mm thread. Any normal compression tester should fit, or have an adapter, for 14mm threads.

The 2000 Virage TX specification is for NGK BR9ES spark plugs

BTW, always use a screw in compression tester, not one that you simply press and hold into the plug hole.

Compression test method
    Battery must be healthy, and strong enough to not fade as you work through the testing.
    All spark plugs removed, all spark plug wires grounded if possible *
    Throttle held wide open.
    Test each cylinder, making note of the peak readings.
    Then test them all again. The two sets of results should be similar for each cylinder. If not, test again.

* Alternative is to re-connect the loose plugs to the wires, and position the plugs so they are touching the engine head or other engine metal. Many guys skip this and just leave the plug wires hanging while they test the engine.

A healthy engine will have readings from each cylinder that are within 5% between the highest and lowest cylinder.

Do not add any oil to the cylinders before testing compression.

Tip: No need to press Return after each line in a post/reply. The forum will format your text to fit on whatever size of screen others may be using.

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk Din.

Yes, you found the BEST place to buy,ride,share,work,help,meet, People on here to help you with your new hobby.

That 45 hours on the gauge could be wrong. they reset sometimes by accident.. Ya never know.. Good compression numbers would be around 130 psi, in each cylinder. if you get 90.90.110. not so good..

Keith has a virage himself. I'm suprized he didnt give you his impression of his.

Being on a lake is a bonus. but that does not mean it was Never in salt water.. only the previous owners know for sure. sounds like it though..

The plug wrench is the same.

what kind of trailer? triton?,easy loader? or hand made job.?

look at the wheels for cracks,and the bunks are secure.. they usually go for 150-650 . just depends..

When you go to the ski. look for dings in the impellor, air gap between leading edge ot prop and wear ring inside the pump if you can see in there at all. there should be almost no air gap between the props edge and the liner in there.

the thing behind the impellor is the pump, it has vanes in there. they should be mint looking. not broken or chipped. bring a flashlight with ya..

Never jump the ski to get it started.. always charge the battery.

check hull for damge topside and below. check for rideplate and intake grate being in good shape. not broke.

see if the gauge is foggy. those can be pricey to replace. should fire right up. dont let it run for more than 15 seconds. or else the seals can be burned up.

I would say 3500 is a little high.. 400 for a trailer and 2000. for the ski is more like it.. but thats even high to me.. I would say 300 for the trailer and 1600 for the ski.. Guys on here have gotten skis for 200 and up...nice ones too! I bought a 2000 slx 1200 for 500.00 running. great shape,, just as an example. I had to go to NC to go get it though.lol thats far from Michigan.lol

I rode a Virage. It accelerated nicely, handles like a dream. great for 1 person, stable for its size,comfortable for cruising,carved nice predicable turns. nice and balanced feeling on it too. Nice ski.. Thanks Keith!

check to see what size ball hitch you and the trailer have.. pretty important if you decide to take it right then.

The number 1 thing to do on any ski you buy is.... MAINTENANCE! Carb rebuilding, gas line changes, gas tank clean out, filters changed, plugs changed, fresh battery, good grounds everywhere,check EVERYTHING.. including bearings in the pump, impellor condition, a strong battery, pump condition, new plugs gapped to spec, thru hull bearings, greasing driveshafts, tight intake grate bolts, rideplate bolts,and im sure theres a few more to deal with... Then, you can go ride your heart out.. we will help you with whatever you need to get it right..

A little time, knowledge n' money spent now will increase the fun factor for later on. It's not hard, just takes some reading and doing.

Hey guys thanks a lot for the info... I feel a little more confident about shopping around for a used ski now. I really didn't want to make a purchase and take a 50 50 chance on if I was getting a decent unit or not. Hopefully I can go check this ski out this week, I'm just hoping that this guy will work on the price with me. Can't hurt to try!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buy the way it has a loadRite galvanized trailer with spare tire, and a cover...... not sure how much these affect the price of the package.

+1
    ... it has a LoadRite galvanized trailer with spare tire, and a cover...
    If any of the tires with the trailer are more than six years old, they have no value. ST trailer tires usually reach the end of their lifespan from time and weather exposure, usually still with lots of tread depth.

Old trailer tires are an accident waiting to happen. If the trailer is more than six years old, then the tires probably are too. Even a spare tire that has never been used will age and degrade with time. The rubber becomes less flexible, and one day the tire just outright fails, maybe at highway speeds, or just from hitting a bump in the road or clipping a curb.

Tires have a DOT date code on one sidewall. Learn how to read the DOT date code, then check the tire's age.

Hello all

Bought a limping Polaris 1050 slx last summer for $200 with the trailer. I've replace the
    display with an 8 pin it works -the trim. It was having trouble starting and flood when
    trying to start. Would try to die while idling. I think it was due to weak spark since it
    now doesn't spark at all. This is my first experience with pwc in fact its the first I've
    ridden. =) I'm trying to figure out if the problem is the slater, coil or Ing. controller. Is the
    controller what everyone in the forums are calling the cdi? I am an electronics tech and
    am handy with a multimeter. Seems like the service manual isn't available on line any-
    more unless I have to use a manual for a different model.
    A wiring diagram would be a nice find as well.

Any advice on tests I can do to narrow the problem?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by machanix View Post
    ... Polaris 1050 SLX...

Is the controller what everyone in the forums are calling the cdi?
    Yes.

...Any advice on tests I can do to narrow the problem?
    Welcome to the Hulk

Click my signature links below. Should find them to be useful

Thanks K447 thats much more info than Ive been able to find on my own with Google.

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread Information