Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: DIY PWC Rack

+1
    Last year, somebody found JetSki Brian's Bahamas trip somewhere on the interwebs. A lot of the guys on the forum are really good at finding stuff and found GreenHulk. That is what began my obsession. I'd like to thank Brian again--I already did in one of his threads.

I may have to build a "modified" version of your rack. DaWife and I were discussing it last night. I think that I will need to mount the fuel cans alongside the rear section of the seat so as to leave the rear deck open so's my big ass can get back on the ski should I swim with the dolphins along the way or otherwise end up in the water. Then I'd probably sling a duffel across the seat with clothes and whatnot. I can't climb up the side like you slim folks.

It is one of these guys who built it:

They actually all rented those skis to take the trip and 3 of the 4 had problems, but only one died completely. They are not renting this year.

You should come along! The caravan should be coming through on August 27th for a launch date of 29th and return on the 1st.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivingZiggy View Post
    ... I may have to build a "modified" version of your rack. DaWife and I were discussing it last night.

I think that I will need to mount the fuel cans alongside the rear section of the seat so as to leave the rear deck open so's my big ass can get back on the ski should I swim with the dolphins along the way or otherwise end up in the water.
    Then I'd probably sling a duffel across the seat with clothes and whatnot.

I can't climb up the side like you slim folks...
    Do not assume the racks or fuel storage on both machines must be identical.

Perhaps your machine can carry some extra fuel in the front storage area (well secured) and the other machine can carry more of the 'luggage'. Or just carry a portion of 'your' extra fuel in the other machine's container rack.

Some of the extra fuel you are carrying would be for emergency use only so you may well never need to actually use it.

Weight balance is important. I cannot say how much weight you can add to just one side before it affects handling.

Do review how you out actually refuel while floating on the water.
    Can you reach the filler cap?
    Can you hold the fuel can so that the fuel will actually go into the filler opening and not splash all over?
    Where will you put the gas can cap while using the can?

Always good to plan and rehearse this stuff before you get out there.

Wow really nice work

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by phuyge View Post
    the rack is now ready to be painted , but before that i want to make a trial run with it , in case of problems then i can modify it . here some pics of how it looks mounted with fuel cans .
    You need to check out Jetskebrians web site. He has an extra 12 gallon tank on his ski that has a retractable line.

I have the same question that someone already asked. I am familiar with PVC pipe and cement. How in the world do you get all the angles and everything correct before the cement dries? Seems like you'd build one section and somewhere, one of the T pieces might be a degree or two off and all of a sudden, your fully constructed upper rail will not slide on. Is there an old indian trick I'm missing here?

+1
    Very simple put the rack together then use a marker now take it apart start gluing pieces together and align marked lines

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksack View Post
    I have the same question that someone already asked. I am familiar with PVC pipe and cement. How in the world do you get all the angles and everything correct before the cement dries? Seems like you'd build one section and somewhere, one of the T pieces might be a degree or two off and all of a sudden, your fully constructed upper rail will not slide on. Is there an old indian trick I'm missing here?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DonHy View Post
    Very simple put the rack together then use a marker now take it apart start gluing pieces together and align marked lines

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksack View Post

Bingo! First, dry fit, then sections at a time: A Sharpie pen is your best friend! Good luck. Modify for your ski and please post your results with any useful hints for the rest of us. Pix please!

Hello !
    have 100 QT igloo cooler ( for lifewell )

1. material ( aluminum or electric pipe with powder coated after)
    2. minimum material for rack
    3. Rack want to easy to install and easy to uninstall from PWC
    4. cooler use for life well ( 100 QT Igloo cooler)
    5. use rack for transom trolling motor..

planing make tube cooler rack,.... for my Yamaha SUV, here make few picture for it , want to ask experience members, who has rack .

that picture with rack ( like it and try to do same)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-15 at 12.51.22 AM.png 
Views:	291 
Size:	970.0 KB 
ID:	356018Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-15 at 12.32.44 PM.png 
Views:	233 
Size:	282.7 KB 
ID:	356019Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-15 at 12.42.21 PM.png 
Views:	242 
Size:	484.5 KB 
ID:	356025

1. any tips/tricks for rack
    2. also planing use trolling motor on it ( any ideas

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060082.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	356013Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060083.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	356014
    Last edited by tester; 04-15-2015 at 12:45 PM.

+1
    If this has been asked already I apologize, I didn't find it through the pages I went through, what are the inner dimensions of the Ice Chest part?

I am trying my hand a building one myself and I like your design a lot from all that I have seen. Thank you for the write up, awesome job!

+1
    I have a similar rack design, and had to run a brace from the center of the rack to the tow hook (tow hook was flipped inside out so we could bolt the rack to it). Rack was too wobbly without that center brace.

Two 5-gal fuel cans fit nicely on each side of the center brace.

-Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2697.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	421500  

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread Information