Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VF3 Gasket tip

+1
    Guys I was disassembling my intake for a check up of the reeds etc. and I noticed something wrong when I went to the Yamaha's website for a pic of where the gaskets go.

In between item #1 and #2 it shows a gasket. BUT in between #2 and #3 there isn't. There should be a gasket since it's a metal to metal surface.
    Look:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GasketInfo.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	180.1 KB 
ID:	14908  

+1
    Its a typo. There should be a gasket between #2 and #3. #4 is the gasket.

+1
    question: what happens if you don't peel the silver **** off the gasket and bolt it on?
    SHOOTER

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter98xpl View Post
    question: what happens if you don't peel the silver **** off the gasket and bolt it on?
    SHOOTER

+1

Exclamation Caution!! Please read

I assembled my motor and did the gaskets like shown here. I also had a new OEM aluminum cover plate. Seems the rubber gaskets give a little and the weak aluminum OEM coverplate will dimple in around the bolts. when I pressure tested my motor it leaked like a sieve around the reed spacer I dissasmebled sealed it with 3-bond reassembled let it sit over night and it still leaked the next day less this time. I disassembled again and thats when I noticed the slight dimpling in the cover plate around the bolts. I ended up straightening the plate and going back to my old handmade paper gaskets and everything worked fine. I sure would like to have a billet cover plate I do not like the OEM one it is way too soft. Please everyone verify that you are not leaking due to this gasket.

+1
    great info bill I am going to check mine out a little closer Thanks for the heads up
    Quote Originally Posted by osidebill View Post
    I assembled my motor and did the gaskets like shown here. I also had a new OEM aluminum cover plate. Seems the rubber gaskets give a little and the weak aluminum OEM coverplate will dimple in around the bolts. when I pressure tested my motor it leaked like a sieve around the reed spacer I dissasmebled sealed it with 3-bond reassembled let it sit over night and it still leaked the next day less this time. I disassembled again and thats when I noticed the slight dimpling in the cover plate around the bolts. I ended up straightening the plate and going back to my old handmade paper gaskets and everything worked fine. I sure would like to have a billet cover plate I do not like the OEM one it is way too soft. Please everyone verify that you are not leaking due to this gasket.

+1
    As I've stated over and over, Randy at Watcon.com has the paper ones, and if your crap is straight and true, you will not do better than those. I used motor oil on mine, and they were checked when they went on, and when they came off 15 engine hours later. No different.

+1

Motor Oil..??

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    As I've stated over and over, Randy at Watcon.com has the paper ones, and if your crap is straight and true, you will not do better than those. I used motor oil on mine, and they were checked when they went on, and when they came off 15 engine hours later. No different.
    Mark..??

Motor Oil...???

Is this a bit like the waterproof grease idea..???

I'm getting my stuff organised to start with my 05..?? including VF3's..!!

Gerry

+1
    I am going with a billet reed cover plate in my 1390 build. With the problems I experienced with the oem cover plate and the issues with the VF-III reed stuffers I got a little creative with a Pro-Tec reed stuffer and solved both issues at least for me. This not the final version I still need to hand massage it a bit for final fit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LH1300BB 091.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	45612  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by osidebill View Post
    I am going with a billet reed cover plate in my 1390 build. With the problems I experienced with the oem cover plate and the issues with the VF-III reed stuffers I got a little creative with a Pro-Tec reed stuffer and solved both issues at least for me. This not the final version I still need to hand massage it a bit for final fit.
    Very good idea Bill.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information