Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Talking findings from engine top end rebuild and air test

Okay folks, after rebuilding my top end for the third time, I pressure tested the whole engine and found two air leaks....one, which was caused by the prior owners converting the ski to pre-mix, pinched the gasket on the outer cover that bolts to the rotary valve cover. Fixed that one,replaced the gasket and sealed it up with 518 Loctite, next- found a lower crankcase bolt was leaking air around the bolt head, removed the bolt, applied loctite 518 and retorqued the bolts in sequence, no more leaks......holds 5 psi

I rebuilt the carb while I had it apart, good to go there, re-installed the stock oil injection system while I had everything apart, cleaned fuel tank and now, just have to finish installing the exhaust and cooling hoses and wiring. and of course, wait until the water warms up a bit....48 degrees is not my idea of fun......
    I'll let you all know what else I find as I go.
    Have a good one!
    Ben
    Last edited by Snipescastle2; 04-09-2010 at 10:36 AM. Reason: adding

Talking finally! Got to break this ski in!!!!!

Hello All! I finally got to break-in my ski that I have been having so many problems with.....got through one tank of fuel, got up to 70% throttle, up and down, my oil injection system works awesome, and I couldn't be happier! I am so glad I took the time to make the test equipment needed to pressure check the engine this time, I surely would have fried another set of pistons due to a couple of air leaks I found. asides from having to change a set of plugs on this run, I am very satisfied with the results! I would like to thank everyone here on the forum for all the great advice and I hope each and everyone of you have a safe, Memorial weekend! I got out on the water Saturday, but have to work the rest of the holiday ( I work for a Big utility company and have to take my holiday next weekend) anyway's, it won't be near as crowded have a good one!
    Ben

+1
    some times running them with more oil isnt always a good thing it can lean it out and take out the engine

Smile engine problems

Yeah, these ski's were the first set I owned, and I learned a great deal about them during the time I owned them. I will never trust a newly rebuilt engine to be "ready to run" upon installation, without first doing a pressure test to confirm no air leaks...the shop that rebuilt my engine swore up and down it must be a problem at my end, the carb was at fault,cracked intake,etc....anything but their fault, after burning up two sets of pistons and a broken flywheel, I finally got disgusted and took the gloves off.......now it it was personal. I work at a power plant and have access to pretty much every tool you could imagine. my technician's made me a calibrated gauge with pressure regulator and I made all the blank off plates for the intake and exhaust manifolds, once I hooked everything up, pressurized it to 5 psi and then sprayed the entire block down with soapy water and found several leaks, a few were my fault- cut gasket (this time around) but the next one killed me.....I'm looking at a major mound of bubbles coming from the underside of the engine case, looking closer, it was coming from one of the main case bolts.........I took that one out and inspected it and it didn't have any sealer on it whatsoever! I put some sealer on the threads and retorqed the case bolts, and then repeated the pressure test.....no leaks! so, just so I can spare someone else the grief of having their ski down while they could be out playing, make sure you don't take it for granted that someone else did their J.O.B, pressure test to ensure you are all set, and avoid any problems that could occur. the first time I burned a set of pistons was ten minutes into the break in procedure!!! the shop that did all my work never refunded me the cost of the two sets of pistons and liners I ruined because of their mistake, so, I will never go back to them, nor will I ever recommend them to anyone.
    Hope you all are having a blast with your ski's!
    Ben Smith

I now have a 2004 XP DI and a 2004 GTI RFI and these bad boys run!!!!!

+1
    Ben, I read through your entire ordeal and I'm real happy to hear that you got that ski running right. I'm a complete DIYer and after lots of work and frustration (myself included!), I love hearing success stories like yours. Enjoy those skis!

Danny,
    Yeah, that was a learning curve for sure!!! Hopefully, someone else can be spared the agony of what I went through, not to mention, the stress the Wife put me through, wanting to know why I couldn't keep this thing running.....simply wasn't my fault. Then I showed her what the problem was. Thanks again!
    I now have a different pair of ski's, but more knowledgeable in the ways of two strokes, next up.....four strokes.!!!!!!!
    Have a good one!
    Ben

+1
    who was it that rebuilt it for you the first time that failed you?

the place I sent the engine to was East coast cycle center, in Bensalem,PA.
    I got the engine rebuilt through their ebay store info.

http://www.eastcoastcycle.com/default.asp

I won't be dealing with them ever again....
    Have a good one!
    Ben Smith

it is always better to pay and learn for yourself - then to pay somebody else to fail (at your expense)..

this thread is well worth a good read

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information