Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    You don't have to remove the headpipe. I recommend not to, as you are creating much more work by doing so.

I'm all for having a few beers! You will have to let me know when you are down my way, I'm only 4 miles off I-75. Always have to help out a fellow dooer... Where are you...btw?

And...Warner Robins Little league is in the World Series again! First game Friday night on ESPN.
    I'm all the way up in Northville, MI, about a mile off I-275 (which turns into I-75 about 20 miles south of me) I'd love to trailer this thing down to Florida in the spring for some fun, perhaps we could catch up along the way. Unfortunately, I already removed the big purple pipe, it wasn't that bad and does make seeing things in there a LOT easier. I did notice one of the big round weld spots on the bottom of the pipe has been re-welded, it was possibly leaking at one point. They did a nice job!

You obviously haven't read post #4. Ohming with a meter will tell you nothing, like I previously stated. If you have a Mega-Ohm meter, then that is a different story. But who has a diagnostic tool that sends 500 volts DC through wires on here, besides me?

Visual is the only way. And...it's good to also confirm:

- There is no rust inside the cover and rust particles between the stator and magneto.
    - Rust particles shorted accross the pickup
    - Inspect the pickup ears for cracking on the sides
    - Inspect the flywheel for a broken tooth and retrieve this piece of metal as it will short the stator in the future
    - Inspect the front plug receptacle for corrosion, on the pins and in the sockets
    I am in the process of tearing this apart right now, I just came in from the garage to hop on here and see if there was anything else I needed to know. I see I have to somehow support the motor, as it is supported by this cover. What is the proper way to support the engine when this is off? Someone mentioned 2x4's so I cut off a few 4" sections, but I have no idea where to put them.

Again, thanks for everything guys!

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Just slip one 4" under the front, it will keep it very close to how it is with the front engine mount in place. Don't lift the engine any higher than you need to get it under there, or you will bend the driveshaft! Yes, been there done that too.

I lived outside Cleveland until I was 9. Too damn cold up there for me!

Thanks! I will report back shortly, most likely with some pictures.

I got all the bolts out, I lifted the motor like 1/4 of an inch and slid a piece of 2x4 in there. I had to loosen the 2 bolts at the bottom of the motor mount and slide it out of the way. Anyways, I can not get this cover off! The 2 locating tabs are causing problems. I got the top one off, but the bottom one is being a beeotch!

I still can't get the cover off. I ended up taking the 2 bolts out that are on the side of the engine that hold the rest of the big purple exhaust pipe off, loosening the clamp at the back and moving that giant pipe thing out of the way. I still can't get that cover off. I'm about to say screw it and either pull the engine or pay someone else to fix it. Does anyone know a good honest mechanic near northville, michigan? Plymouth Powersports is near me and I really like the parts guy, but they don't work on anything older than 10 years old.

I got some pictures, I highlighted red near the area I am having trouble with.

Why is the inside of my hull so dirty? My 94 SP is clean!

Completely remove the motor mount! There are at least one or two 10mm head bolts under there you have to remove too. I hope you haven't cracked your cover.

Completely remove the motor mount! There are at least one or two 10mm head bolts under there you have to remove too. I hope you haven't cracked your cover.

I felt all around there, I am pretty sure I got them all. Is it safe to lift the engine up high enough to get the mount out? You have me concerned about bending the driveshaft. If by chance I am a huge idiot and did forget a bolt and crack my cover, how hard is it to get my hands on a replacement cover?

The inside of my 2000xp is really dirty too, not sure why either, my Yamaha is clean on the inside... Im sure worst case you could grind a little of the cover down and throw a bead on there, probably aluminum right, and there is always JB Weld

Ok I had nightmares about damn catshark last night, I bet the 4 year old is scarred for life

Quote Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1 View Post
    I felt all around there, I am pretty sure I got them all. Is it safe to lift the engine up high enough to get the mount out? You have me concerned about bending the driveshaft. If by chance I am a huge idiot and did forget a bolt and crack my cover, how hard is it to get my hands on a replacement cover?
    The purpose of the 2x4 is to support the engine when you remove the motor mount...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information