Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    +1

what to do after you sink your ski

Quote Originally Posted by autobus83 View Post
    What are the specs on a replacement battery.
    I don't recall at this time, but you should be able to find it on-line.

Here is an old pre HD video after I sunk a ski.
    A little CPR goes a long way. LoL

Well I got all of the water out of the cylinders and used a turkey Baxter to suck all of the water out of the exhaust. But the starter tries and still can't turn the motor over unless the sparkplugs are taken out. Where could water be hiding. It is acting like it is hydro locked.

+1
    Battery is still good???
    If you have a full charge and it's acting that way, I could only guess at this point, but it shouldn't be that way. I fkd up a motor once because the needle in the carb leaked. Was a bad moment and too late to turn back time.
    Maybe someone with better experience could answer this for you as I don't have enough experience with a situation like you are having.
    I'll keep an eye on this thread to learn more myself.

I have it hooked to an external battery so that shouldn't be the problem.

Well I had my neighbor help me drop my ski on the ground from the trailer and we tipped it up and pumped all of the water out of it. The ski is now turning over again. I am having problems with spark now. I hope didn't mess up any of the electronics. I opened the electronics box and everything is dry. She had hot spark after I got all of the water out of it then the spark just displeased but the battery was getting low so that might have been the problem. I put the charger on the battery and willsee what is going to happen tomorrow

I am getting really frustrated. It has intermittent spark now and the starter doesn't always want to turn the motor over. I don't have any other ideas. I even piggy backed the battery with jumper cables to another battery and still would once in a while crank but mostly just grunts anod won't turn the motor over. Please help.

You have to pull the exhaust pipe in order to get at the bolts. I am having a similar issue with the exception that my battery keeps cracking and won't charge past 6 volts. I've changed the stator and rectifier. Ran the ski this season on the hose 3 times no more than 10 minutes running total. Everything seemed fine. Went to drop in Lake and checked the battery and back down to 6 volts. 1 thing I did notice on the rectifier is that 1 Yello and the red show conductivity. And the red going to the mpem is showing conductivity to the ground lug in the electrical box.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dereki View Post
    You have to pull the exhaust pipe in order to get at the bolts. I am having a similar issue with the exception that my battery keeps cracking and won't charge past 6 volts. I've changed the stator and rectifier. Ran the ski this season on the hose 3 times no more than 10 minutes running total. Everything seemed fine. Went to drop in Lake and checked the battery and back down to 6 volts. 1 thing I did notice on the rectifier is that 1 Yello and the red show conductivity. And the red going to the mpem is showing conductivity to the ground lug in the electrical box.
    I'd say the skis that this post was about originally either got fixed 6 years ago or have been sitting in the weeds since then... 2011 yo.

Is your battery strapped down and in a rubber battery sleeve? Sounds like your battery cracking thing probably isn't electrical...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1 View Post
    Yes, the problem seems to be completely eliminated with the work I did, big thanks to you and everyone else for the assistance! I'm going to post my other pictures, and hopefully I can go through and clean this thread up, and we can sticky it because I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been frustrated by this!
    Just checking in, were your problems permanently fixed? (I know it's 10 years later now!)

I have a boat with two 717's having very similar, seemingly random issues. I've rebuilt my carbs 3 times now in 3 weeks. Right engine will run fine for hours and then suddenly sputter, idle weird, have a hard time revving, drop rpms when it does rev. It will stay this way sometimes for minutes, other times for days, and then just return back to normal on its own. The left engine sometimes idles high, sometimes low, and then the other day just died on me and won't start again. I've tested compression, I have 140-150 psi in all cylinders.

Things that are red flags to me: PO has permanently installed a marine battery tender which both he and I have used. (Don't know what amperage it is charging at, should probably test. Don't really even know that it is needed as I've not had charging issues.) There are several old rectifiers still in the boat not wired. Obviously the PO believed they were bad and replaced them.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread Information