Old Yamaha Ski Help!

Alright so we picked up this ski that was sitting in my buddy's yard for the past few years. His family claimed that it ran when they sat it, but it had a bad battery. It looks to be 1995 700cc wave raider. We brought it over to my garage, got all the mold and crap off, and opened er up to look at what we had. After hooking up a lawn mower battery we found out the starter relay was bad. I am a dirt bike guy so excuse my terminology if anythings different in the ski world lmao. I took the carb off and the airbox was full of crap like dead bee's, possibly a nest of some sort, etc. The carb was just the same, whole thing was gunked up with old gas and moldy on the inside, along with dirt/crap everywhere. After popping the carb off I could see that this crap was also in the passage to the reed valves. My hope then kind of fell. After pulling the reeds out, i could see a lot of sitting oil/gas, but it didnt look to have any large particles of junk in it (it still may not be clean).

So were really trying to get this jetski running for cheap to have somethin to mess around on and i've got a few questions if anyone can help. My plan for now would be to get a new starter relay, clean everything and throw it back together (assuming i can order gaskets for the carb, housings, etc, pop the spark plugs out, and turn er over so that she shoots all the old oil, etc, out of the engine. I would then flush it with some oil/gas mix and check the compression. Based on the compression we would decide if we're going to put any money into it or not. If it had good compression, the plan would be get a new battery, and possibly reeds, and try to see if she would run. At that point i would try to look at the gas and oil pumps since I hear those go out pretty easy.

When i pulled the plugs out i could definetely see a good amount of carbon build up, but were not putting the time to tear this engine down out of this pos. Is there a way to turn these engines over by hand/wrench some where on the drive train or some where easily accessible?

If these reed valves were operational when last sat, do you guys think i could just rinse them off in some gasoline and see if they'd work? Also is the plan to blow the shit out of the cylinder heads a bad idea? (lets hope there aren't any chunks of any hard material in there ) Do these engines have drain bolts or some sort of easy way to flush/drain the engine without pulling it apart?

Any help would be appreciated as this is the first time i've ever touched a ski! Thanks

I've attached some pics at the bottom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200709_112731.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	129.1 KB 
ID:	464252   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200709_112739.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	464253   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200709_112747.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	464254   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200709_112802.jpg 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	464255   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200709_112829.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	464256   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ski (1).jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	127.8 KB 
ID:	464257  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ski (2).jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	464258   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ski (3).jpg 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	464259  

+1
    My recommendation would be to pull the engine and clean it all up but you say that you don't want to spend the time doing that. I get it.

A couple of things: 1. the oil injection pumps are very reliable. It's the oil hoses and the OEM, nylon zip tie "clamps" that are the problem. New hoses and Oetiker pinch clamps solves that problem. 2. reeds are rarely the problem on these older 2-strokes.

Since you don't want to put too much time into this ski, how about removing both plugs and putting some oil down the cylinders? Next, get a good battery and then jump the solenoid with a screwdriver to see if the engine will crank over. If it's locked up, it may not be the engine. It could be the impeller and the wear ring. I used to be a saltwater boater and my '94 Raider's wear ring got saltwater between the stainless steel liner and the outer wear ring housing. It caused "swelling" of the SS liner which contacted the impeller and eventually locked it up. I had to buy another housing/liner and all was good again.

Once you get the motor to crank over, a compression check of both cylinders is highly recommended so you know what you're dealing with.

You're going to want to rebuild that gunky carburetor with a genuine Mikuni carb rebuild kit.

Let us know your progress on this ski and we can go from there.

+1
    BTW, thank you for posting all the pictures. They're helpful. That thing is gunky and needs a lot of cleaning love!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dannyual777 View Post
    BTW, thank you for posting all the pictures. They're helpful. That thing is gunky and needs a lot of cleaning love!

After replacing the starter relay, spark plugs, full mikuni rebuild kit, and replacing all fuel lines we got her to start up and run good in the garage for about a minute! Idled and revved up really well. Plan on putting it in the water in the next few days and will see how it goes! About $130 in with parts right now and its looking like we might have a old but working ski! We're gonna put it in the water and monitor the temperature with a temp radar gun to make sure its getting good cooling circulation and go from there.

Thanks for the help!

+1
    Very good to hear! I wish you lots of good luck with it running well in the water. Please do let us know how it turns out.

Thread Information