Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Going back to stock exhaust questions

I currently have the Riva rear exhaust and miss my days with the TJ (RIP) exhaust mod. The rear exhaust really cleans up the hull and has an amazing sounds at idle, but also (IMHO) an annoying buzz at any throttle position after that. Guess I'm getting too old.

Finally have some free time to finish up the ski and want to go back to a quiet exhaust.

I'm not exactly sure what makes the stock exhaust so quiet. Is it the #1 resonator, the #3 water tank, or #2 the rubber bend, or the combination?

I really don't like feel like reopening the old stock outlet (used #5200 to seal it, remove pump, ets.,) and sealing the rear exhaust hole, maybe I can add the water tank and resonator to a modified rear exhaust to get it back to quiet? TIA!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exhaust.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	470493   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exhaust.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	470494  

I feel the same way about my riva, I miss my TJ exhaust but like the extra space in rear and not sure I got all the original parts still laying around. Go ahead and take one for the team try something. My guess would be the resonater.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by badjoka View Post
    I currently have the Riva rear exhaust and miss my days with the TJ (RIP) exhaust mod. The rear exhaust really cleans up the hull and has an amazing sounds at idle, but also (IMHO) an annoying buzz at any throttle position after that. Guess I'm getting too old.

Finally have some free time to finish up the ski and want to go back to a quiet exhaust.

I'm not exactly sure what makes the stock exhaust so quiet. Is it the #1 resonator, the #3 water tank, or #2 the rubber bend, or the combination?

I really don't like feel like reopening the old stock outlet (used #5200 to seal it, remove pump, ets.,) and sealing the rear exhaust hole, maybe I can add the water tank and resonator to a modified rear exhaust to get it back to quiet? TIA!

The resonator itself is not responsible for " quieting " the exaust, its function is to manipulate exaust frequency to achieve a certain tone, without it ,exaust may take on a deeper tone,but not necessarily "louder" . another key part to yamaha sound supression is the rubber fingers on the stock exaust outlet and the thick rubber flaps in the pump tunnel. I agree with you 100% my brother has riva waterbox and riva rear outlet ,sounds mint on the trailer. But can get fatiguing when out crusing around, i have the TJ on my fz and have no regrets!

+1
    Thanks all. This is a must do for me, and I'll update this thread in the next month or two with what worked for me.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    I had thought of possibly wrapping the aluminum pipe for the rear exhaust kit to try and soften the exhaust tone some. That aluminum pipe is very resonant and probably adds to the noise factor. I bet that would help somewhat

+1
    Thanks all for the input.

Took a good look at viable options while trying to keep the Riva rear exhaust hull outlet. Would require some tricky if not impossible bend work to the riva pipe, not worth the effort and costs. Will go back to full stock but in place of the Riva rear exhaust outlet I will add a 5" 1/4" aluminum plate with the Kawasaki engine and inter cooler flush ports (hopefully both can fit) like on Jerrys turbo FZR and a nice bonus is the flush ports are pretty cheap. This will make the whole effort worthwhile instead of going trial and error to see what may or may not work and losing time/$$.

Found all my old parts and even my old tube of 4200, seems I didn't use the 5200 so removing the block off for the stock outlet will be a much easier, but may have to trim Jerry's ride plate insert, they are definitely bomb proof.

The Riva pipe is definitely an echo chamber especially when compared to the Yamaha rubber components.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-Kawasaki-Jet-Ski-Ultra-300-LX-Flush-Port.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	470526   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FZR by GreenHulk Garage.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	470528  

+1
    the rear piece #3 part definitely knocks the sound wayyyy down as its filled with water at idle...the free flow and the riva waterbox, if you have both kinda allow the water to flow directly out, reducing the blockage...aka making it louder.

I'm obnoxious so I love the sound of mine. It scares the bejesus out of idiots on lesser skis and generally clears out a full riding area. People are odd.

8. +1 by:

+1
    Took a good look at viable options while trying to keep the Riva rear exhaust hull outlet. Would require some tricky if not impossible bend work to the riva pipe,
    Scratch that, took a look at some silicone hoses from frozen boost, definitely a viable option, in case anyone will be doing the same.

+1
    I'm swapping from RIVA FF right now to the TJ mod. I just can't stand the drone anymore.

11. +1 by:

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Scratch that, took a look at some silicone hoses from frozen boost, definitely a viable option, in case anyone will be doing the same.

I bet all it would take is some straight pipe and a 90 off the water tank. With some straight couplings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information